PDA

View Full Version : Cittern tuning in 5ths with high b

Matt Hutchinson
Nov-26-2007, 5:49am
From TAMCO's website (http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk)

"With a 20" scale cittern tuned GDAEB (don't let anyone tell you can't get the B because the string will break, I have several that work fine) you have an octave mandolin with an extra B and with a capo at the 5th fret you then get mandola and mandolin CGDAE. Therefore you have an octave mandolin (GDAE(B)) and a mandola/mandolin (CGDAE) all in the same instrument!"

Sounds like a great idea, how many of you play this tuning and does it work for you? I like the idea of an instrument with the capabilities of mando, dola and octave (including an extra course for each) and everything in one tuning.

Cheers,
Matt

Martin Jonas
Nov-26-2007, 12:57pm
I tried, on a 17" instrument. At that scale, it's not particularly difficult to get the top course to B, and with 0.056" I can get a reasonable low G. The main problem I found was that having the open B string gives a lot of unwanted harmonies in the most common keys. The harmonic balance improved greatly when I tuned the top string down to A, which is how I keep that cittern now. Also makes the top string sound fuller on this particular cittern.

I've also used CGDAE on a 16" cittern, which is much the same as a 20" GDAEB cittern capoed on the 5th fret. I did manage to get the high E to work without strings breaking (at 0.008" gauge!), but this was very shrill and again I found the balance and playability improved when I dropped the top string down to D.

Martin

Matt Hutchinson
Nov-26-2007, 4:16pm
Thanks Martin. Just curious to see if there were any drawbacks. What's your preferred tuning for a 10 string?

EdSherry
Nov-26-2007, 7:23pm
I agree with the suggestion that a "high B" tends to produce notes that are discordant in the "standard" Celtic keys. #If you're going to capo on the fifth fret and treat it as a mandola/mandolin, that's fine. #

A lot of it depends on whether you want to primarily play tunes or rhythm. #I play GDAD a lot on 'zouk because I like the ringing open D string for rhythm. #

I have a guitar-shaped OM that I tune to a low DAEB; capoed to the fifth fret, it gives me GDAE (standard OM tuning). #Recently, I've also been playing a Dell Arte 'cello tuned (low) CGDA, which really moves air in the lower register.

I tune most of my 10-string citterns either DGDAE (most common) or DGDGD. #Sometimes I'll tune the latter to DADAD for recording purposes. #I'll use CDGAE occasionally.

Martin Jonas
Nov-27-2007, 5:45pm
Thanks Martin. Just curious to see if there were any drawbacks. What's your preferred tuning for a 10 string?
GDAEA is really useful, I find. Great for melody playing and great harmonies.

Martin

Matt Hutchinson
Nov-28-2007, 3:47am
Thanks guys. I definitely like the idea of an extended tuning which is essentially based round the mandolin tuning for the most part. I think I need to find a cittern to try & see how it feels.

Cheers

danb
Nov-28-2007, 10:28am
I go GDAEA. It's got more of an irish zook as well as an OM sound to it

Matt Hutchinson
Nov-28-2007, 10:45am
Thanks Dan.

By the way, I sent you an email via the Mandolin Archive info email address about a London mandolin meet up. If you didn't get it (or that's the wrongg address to mail to) PM me with another email & I'll send again

Cheers,

Matt

rjb
Nov-28-2007, 2:01pm
I have a 10 string tuned GDAEB, made by Oakwood Instruments it has a 20" scale length with string gauges 52, 36, 24, 14, 11. My main reason for having the instrument built was that I didn't want to cart around my octave mandolin and a mandolin.

It is a bit of a compromise but on the whole works well. As an octave mandolin because of the higher string tension and shorter scale length it doesn't have quite the same jangly sound that longer scale instruments have, but it is much easier to play tunes on and the high B saves having to stretch up to the seventh fret on the E string. As a mandolin capo'd at the fifth fret the fret spacing is slightly larger than on a mandolin so little bit more stretching is required, but I have long fingers so this is not a problem for me.

The main benefit and the main reason for having the instrument set up this way for me is that I can play tunes either capo'd at the fifth fret or without the capo, with essentially the same fingering, plus a variety of chordal accompaniment is possible all on one instrument. It is also nice and loud so it works well for playing in sessions.

Richard

dunbarhamlin
Dec-03-2007, 7:05am
My Hullah 10 string is always tuned GDAEB. Lots of sympathetics, but I like that. Think it's just shy of 21" - no problems with strings, just nice crystalline tone at the top end and rich warmth on the bottom.
(My 10 string mando (CGDAE) is similarly endowed/afflicted with sympathetics depending on your PoV.)
Cheers
Steve

trevor
Dec-03-2007, 7:16am
Steve,
What string gauge do you use for the B?