PDA

View Full Version : Johnny appleseed- joe strummer & the mescaleros

cedre
Nov-25-2007, 2:59pm
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, lets hope it's a successful one ;-)

I simply adore this song by the legendary Joe Strummer. Any ideas of the mandolin chords? The song was used in a really surreal TV show called John From Cincinnati and there is a live performance on Letterman on Youtube.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Cedre

Alex of the North
Nov-25-2007, 4:23pm
Love that song too! Here are the chords from a guitar website: Johnny Appleseed (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/j/joe_strummer_and_the_mescaleros/johnny_appleseed_crd.htm).

Conor O
Feb-07-2011, 9:45pm
To start off with, the chord progession throughout the beginning and the choruses pretty much follows { G-G-G, G-Em-Em-Em, Em-G-G-G, G-Em-Em-Em, Em-Am-Am-Am, Am-F-F-F, F-G-G-G, G-Em-Em-Em } and so on. Then, we move into actual tabs. The patterns may not all be there, but the basic tabs should be.

PART|-----------------|----------------------|---------------------|---------------
-1---|-----------------|----------------------|---------------------|---------------------
-----|--5-5--55--20---|-0-0000-2--------[x2]-|----------------0---|--------------33-2-----
-----|-----------------|----------4-2-00------|---2-22-22-2-4-----|--2-22-22-2------------
|_|_|_| |_|_|_| |_|_|_| |_|_|_| |_|_|_| |_|_|_| |_|_|_| |_|_|_|

|-----------------|----------------|-----------------|-----------------||
|-----o|
|----5-5--55--20|----00-00-------------------------Then Chorus Chords--------o|
|-----------------|-4-------4 2 00---------|-----------------|-----------------||
[End Part 1]

|-[Repeat Part 1]-|-[Part 2]-3-33-33 3--0 --|-------------------------|-----------------|---------
----|------------|-----------------------5-|-2-55-55---2-0----------|-0-00-00-0-2-5--|-0-00-00-0--33-232-----
-----|-----------------|-----------------|-----------------------55-------|-----------------|-----------------------
-----|-----------------|-----------------|--------------------------|-----------------|---------------------------------

|-------------------|-----------------|-----------------|--Part 2 is, sort of, implemented near the end with Part 1. Then you-play the chords until the end----the end with part 1. Then you play .- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|--5-55-55-5--2--0-|----00-00-------|----Chorus Chords|------------------------------------
|-------------------|--4--------4-2-00------------------|------------------------------------

Please forgive the sloppiness of this tabbing, it's my first one and it was a bit rushed. Like I've said, the patterns aren't entirely exact, but the notes should get you to where you want to go.

Conor O
Feb-07-2011, 9:48pm
I'll fix this tomorrow, it came out very badly.

Loretta Callahan
Feb-07-2011, 10:08pm
Welcome, cedre ... I love that song too ~ and it was one of the first mandolin songs I tried to work out. I mostly worked on the melody. I'd love to get a nice version of this going.

Thanks, Conor! I've never written tab down. I appreciate your doing it!

Bertram Henze
Feb-08-2011, 8:19am
Funny, I struck this thread because this is the first time since 40+ years when, as a kid, I first heard of this man when watching this movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IASrP1-DulU).
So thanks for the memory, but is that Joe Strummer song really talking about the same fellow? :confused:

Loretta Callahan
Feb-09-2011, 1:56am
Funny, I struck this thread because this is the first time since 40+ years when, as a kid, I first heard of this man when watching this movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IASrP1-DulU).
So thanks for the memory, but is that Joe Strummer song really talking about the same fellow? :confused:

Yeah, he is ~ an updated version of the lad. "don't go killin' all the bees".

9pYwPc6UNmo&feature=related

Loretta Callahan
Feb-10-2011, 8:19pm
Lord, there goes Johnny Appleseed
He might pass by in the hour of need
There's a lot of souls
Ain't drinking from no well ~ locked in a factory

Hey - look there goes
Hey - look there goes
If you're after getting the honey - hey
Then you don't go killing all the bees

Lord, there goes Martin Luther King
Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring
I hear what you're saying, I hear what he's saying
*Is what was true now no longer so

Hey - I hear what you're saying
Hey - I hear what he's saying
If you're after getting the honey - hey

What the people are saying
And we know every road - go, go
What the people are saying
There ain't no berries on the trees

Let the summertime sun
Fall on the apple - fall on the apple

Lord, there goes a Buick forty-nine
Black sheep of the angels riding, riding down the line
We think there is a soul, we don't know
That soul is hard to find

Hey - down along the road
Hey - down along the road
If you're after getting the honey

Hey - it's what the people are saying
It's what the people are saying
Hey - there ain't no berries on the trees
Hey - that's what the people are saying, no berries on the trees
You're checking out the honey, baby
You had to go killin' all the bees

Ben Milne
Jan-08-2012, 8:41am
Bumping for a great tune.
Chordie.com (http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.guitaretab.com/j/joe-strummer/172465.html?1944-06-06=always&transpose=&tuning=GDAE) gives you a great chordchart and the option for mandolin chord diagrams along side.

Loretta Callahan
Jan-19-2012, 2:16am
Thanks, Ben!