PDA

View Full Version : Tailpieces

mmukav
Jun-06-2004, 10:11am
Are tailpieces on mandos, octaves and zouks all the same? Interchangeable? If I wanted to put a new tailpiece on a zouk, would I buy a mando tailpiece?

MDW
Jun-06-2004, 3:54pm
I believe they're all the same. I recently replaced the stock tailpiece on my octave with an Orrico mandolin tailpiece - works great. The tailpiece which came off was a standard stamped mando tailpiece.

Ward Elliott
Jun-07-2004, 6:59pm
The only one that I'm aware of that will NOT fit the standard mounting holes #( Gibson stamped tailpiece configuration ) is the Monteleone style tailpiece. Both the Randy Allen authorized model and the Saga version have a different hole alignment.

Dolamon
Jun-07-2004, 9:55pm
There may be a small interference problem on the bottom radius of a normal mandolin tailpiece. If the diameter of the zook is much larger than a standard mandolin, you may need to do some tweaking to get it fit flush. As for the cast ones ... I've got a couple but haven't bothered to put them on anything large yet.

So far, my favorite is the front loading Rigel, ultra simple and inexpensive. As far as filling and redrilling holes - that should be expected rather than a surprise. Somtimes the original ones can be out of the norm.

mmukav
Jun-10-2004, 8:57pm
So, let's say I take the original tailpiece off my Morgan Monroe zouk and replace it with a cast bronze Weber or Orrico, or Allen. What tonal differences can I expect? Will they be noticeable? Worth the cost?

MDW
Jun-10-2004, 9:15pm
I put an Orrico on my Johnson MA550 Octave and had across the board improvement. Richer tone, louder, more distinct notes, less muddy chords, better bass, crisper treble. I know this sounds like a lot but it was a significant difference on this instrument.

MDW

mmukav
Jun-10-2004, 10:53pm
That's really cool, and from what I've heard the Johnson zouk is already louder and bassier than a Trinity College or Morgan Monroe. I'm getting a Morgan Monroe in the near future and am interested to hear what differences there might be. Are you happy with your MA550? Do you like the sound? I seriously considered the Johnson zouk, but wound up going with the Morgan Monroe.