PDA

View Full Version : Varnish Fern or Doyle Lawson?

MandoA5
Jun-05-2004, 3:40pm
Leaning towards mainly bluegrass, playing some other things, as well, which would you choose and why? To me it's like eating chocolate or double chocolate. I'm leaning towards the varnish finish, but I've had my hands on two Doyle's that sound incredible. Advice? Thanks, Tim

Mike McCoy
Jun-05-2004, 3:49pm
I'd go for what my ears told me was the best sound, good hunting.

rose#1
Jun-05-2004, 4:34pm
go for tone!

BigJoe
Jun-05-2004, 5:01pm
My preference is varnish. However, the Lawson is a great sounding mandolin. The Lawson has a little darker tone than some of the other Gibson's because of the bound F holes. It almost has a varnish sound but not quite. You would love either, but the varnish is still the top of the pile.

Scotti Adams
Jun-05-2004, 6:24pm
..Ive played both models..one of the lucky ones...I preferred the Varnished Fern....in fact...to my ears it was the best mando Gibson had at the time I visited them in February....now this is just lil ol me talkin...you may a totally different opinion when you play them....

onlyagibsonisgoodenuff
Jun-05-2004, 6:31pm
Scotti, did you get a chance to compare the Fern to a Master Model? I've been thinking of going that direction, and so there may be a varnish Fern on the used market! MAS, MAS,and more MAS.

Scotti Adams
Jun-05-2004, 7:09pm
Scotti, did you get a chance to compare the Fern to a Master Model? I've been thinking of going that direction, and so there may be a varnish Fern on the used market! MAS, MAS,and more MAS.
..yes I did..not only was it a MM but it was a distressed MM...again..it is of my opinion that the VF was the better mando....sorry Big Joe.....I know you really liked the DMM...but the VF really appealed to me more..

mandoJeremy
Jun-05-2004, 7:38pm
I can't speak for the Varnished Fern but I can say that I very much love my varnished Bush model! It has a completely different tone now than it did when it was laquer. Of course, I will visiting BigJoe and the guys Monday so maybe they will have a varnished Fern for me to try. I definitely want to play the Distressed Master Model, so don't go to that funeral Monday Joe!

BigJoe
Jun-05-2004, 10:16pm
I do have a used Varnished Fern available at the moment. It is not likely to last long. The Fern has a bit more bottom end than most MM but different in the mid range. I love each of them for different reasons. Looking forward to seeing you Jeremy!

evanreilly
Jun-05-2004, 10:55pm
Just out of curiousity, how many of the varnished Ferns have come out of OAI???

tiltman
Jun-06-2004, 11:50am
Hey Big Joe,
Your last post attracted my attention... you guys have used mandolins around the shop for sale... where do you sell them? Only in person or is there an area on the Gibson website for used mandolins? (May have missed it...wouldn't be the first time!)
Thanks,
Kirk

Jun-06-2004, 12:31pm
Kirk.. They sell them at their retail shop in Nashville at the Gibson Bluegrass showcase at the Opy Mills mall in Nashville. A very cool place to visit and hang out.

tiltman
Jun-07-2004, 5:36pm
Thanks for the info Maverick,
Unfortunately Nashville is a long way from Oregon... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif
Kirk