PDA

View Full Version : new guy

stinkymommasboy
Jun-05-2004, 9:33am
very new to mandolins and bluegrass. #looking for an entry level instrument, by that i mean cheap but playable. #found one called a Johnson "Lynchburg" A-Model Mandolin for 60 bucks online. also can a mandolin be strung backwards like a guitar and not have any adverse effects on the instrument?
#

John Flynn
Jun-05-2004, 9:51am
If it is set up properly, which is a big "if," it will be an adequate beginner's mandolin. If you really get into mandolin, however, you will very likely want a better instrument within a year. That one will have no trade-in value to speak of, but you can keep it as a "beater," which is nice to have. I started on one that was comparable and it served its purpose.

Greenmando
Jun-05-2004, 10:20am
also can a mandolin be strung backwards like a guitar and not have any adverse effects on the instrument?
#
Hows that? Trying to figure out the question.

As far as cheap mandos go. If you have a nice mandolin you are proud of, you seem to practice more. I started out on a cheap mando and I regret it. A quality mandolin frets correctly and the intonation is correct. The general thought is to spend a little more than you plan to, or wait and save a little more. There is some great deals on American made A styles and flat tops. Flatiron 1N's or Y2K's can be found very reasonably, Mid Mo's are a great deal.

stinkymommasboy
Jun-05-2004, 10:28am
i mean tuning e a d g from top string to bottom like a guitar, take it easy on me i'm new.

fatt-dad
Jun-05-2004, 10:30am
The mandolin will come with the string slots cut for the normal stringing. If you reverse the strings, you will have to turn the bridge around and someone will likely have to rework the nut.

I would agree with anyone else that you should get at a minimum a solid top mandolin. For some additional money (i.e., in the range of $150 to 200 bucks) you should be able to get a used Kentucky. Spend some time looking around and buy a cheap but nice mandolin.

fatt-dad

stinkymommasboy
Jun-05-2004, 10:35am
what if i get a lefty and play right on it? just think it would be tough to learn all my scales and chords upside down again.

pathfinder
Jun-05-2004, 10:57am
To tune your mando similar to a guitar, I don't think you'd have to change the nut or the bridge. #A mandolin's heaviest-gauge string (the G) would be tuned down three semi-tones to an E note. #The next string (the D) would be tuned down five semi-tones to an A note. #The A string would be tuned down seven semi-tones to a D. #And the E string would be tuned down nine semi-tones to a G note.

The bridge and nut would be OK, because the same strings are in the same slots.

But it would sound really bad, because your strings would be slack and probably buzzing a lot. #And you wouldn't be able to play true guitar chords, because you'd still be missing the B string and the high E.

Why not give mandolin tuning a try? #The chords and #picking are surprisingly easy to pick up. #

You're just tuning each string to the seventh fret of the string below it, instead of to the fifth fret of the string below.

neal
Jun-05-2004, 12:49pm
Having come from a guitar background, all I can say is: don't change the tuning. GDAE, really very logical. Give it a try, I'm sure you'll agree. (okay, I said more) Wanna give Gdad a try, too.

August Watters
Jun-05-2004, 5:54pm
What Neal said. It will be WAY easier to learn mandolin tuning than to try to make the mandolin into a little guitar. The frets are too close together anyway; you'll never be able to play guitar chord shapes because there isn't enough room for your fingers! Besides, tuning your mandolin that way will require major changes to string gauges, and probably won't work well anyway.

The good news: mandolin is a lot more logical than guitar.

August W

smilnJackB
Jun-05-2004, 7:51pm
I have bought or set up 5 Johnson Lynchburg mandos for myself and friends. If I recall correctly, 2 came ready to play, 2 needed major adjustments and one needed minor adjustments. I think they are great starters and backups or 'beaters'-- once they are set up.
As someone that started with guitar and banjo, do not change the string tuning. Check out the 2 finger chords on this great site and playing will be quick and fun. Best wishes. Jack http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

smilnJackB
Jun-05-2004, 7:55pm
Sorry, I did not at first understand that your question was a lefty - righty issue. I am a righty, and I think you should play a standard mando. Because no matter how it is strung, both hands must learn new, complex fine motor skills. And once you can play, it is great fun to be able to sample other instruments. Go standard. I do not think it will be any harder to learn. Again, best wishes. Go for it. Jack

Coy Wylie
Jun-05-2004, 9:31pm
Hello Stinky,

Welcome aboard. I have played guitar in various styles for more than 30 years. A few months ago I took up the mando. It's surprising how quickly you can pick it up. Sure you will have to learn some new chord patterns but as has already been stated, picking melodies and improvising is much more logical on the mando. Give it a try! Be aware however, it is very, Very VERY addictive. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Bob DeVellis
Jun-06-2004, 8:53am
There are critters out there called mandolin guitars,which are mandolin bodies and necks with 6 strings in guitar tuning (well, an octave above guitar, actually). The reason you don't hear about them very often is that not many people buy them. I suspect they appeal most to people like yourself who want mandolin sound without having to learn a bunch of new chord shapes after having played guitar. But I bet a substantial majority of mandolin players were guitar players first. I was. The tuning pattern of the mandolin is very versatile. The guitar is a compromise of sorts to accommodate the horrific reaches you'd have to make if you tried tuning it to fifths (like a mandolin). With the shorter scale length, the issue is resolved and there's no need for the compromise of an uneven tuning (i.e., non-equal intervals between all strings). I'd strongly urge you to stick with standard mandolin tuning. In a short time, it'll feel natural to you.

Damnation Gulch
Jun-06-2004, 12:06pm
I sure aint no pro, but consider myself not too bad of guitarist (won best guitarist in Phoenix at Cooperstown 2002 anyway). The mandolin IMHO is a lot easier to pick up than the guitar and the tuning of the instrument isnt that obscure. If you ever want to frazzel your brain set down behind a pedal steel sometime...LOL!

I'll also add that I've learned more lurking around here the past three days than the past three years when it comes to all things mandolin related... *tips hat*

jimini_pickit
Jun-06-2004, 12:22pm
Stinky,
Welcome! Throwing my opinion in here too, being a 'former' gittar player of 25ish years; keep the mando tuned to mandolin tuning...spend your time (week or so, whatever it takes)...learn the chords and patterns. It took me ahile, but started to make real good sense to me, then bacame easy, intuitive enough to not even have to look at the fretboard within a little time! You SHOULD have similar results, based on all the other mando players now who have been 'former' guitar players; mandolin just seems more logical and easier to move your learned patterns around the neck, since all strings are tuned to the same intervals.
Stick it out, Stinky...hopefully you'll be well rewarded for the effort!

Jim