PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about the marketplace...

Rick Lindstrom
Nov-13-2007, 6:52pm
What's up when someone buys a usually quite expensive mandolin and then wants to sell it in sometimes as little as two or three weeks after receiving it? I follow the classifieds daily, and this seems to happen frequently.

I know that everyone has uncertainties in their lives, but this happens more often that you would expect, and pretty often with mandos that you would think were the "end-all and be-all". A fancy Phoenix that is two months old kicked off my interest in this topic (this time).

Inquiring minds wonder....

Rick

ckmiv
Nov-13-2007, 7:04pm
I currently have a mandolin for sale after only owning it for a little over a month. In my situation it was a case of buying something that I shouldn't have.

sunburst
Nov-13-2007, 7:13pm
Perhaps some people buy one just to own it for a little while. To be able to say; "yeah, I had a (fill in the blank), but I sold it". Or perhaps even; "I wish I had kept that one...".

Rick Lindstrom
Nov-13-2007, 7:18pm
John-

I can appreciate that, but there must be more better ways to lose $1k or more in a short transaction?

I'm not intending to demean anyone- I'm really just trying to understand the psychology of the thing.

Rick

sunburst
Nov-13-2007, 7:25pm
...there must be more better ways to lose $1k or more in a short transaction?
I wouldn't call it a better way, but you can loose more money in the same amount of time buying a car and selling it quickly, and people do that too.

Glassweb
Nov-13-2007, 7:26pm
There are certainly plenty of reasons for selling, but sometimes a mandolin that impresses you at first fails to keep you excited. Sound familiar?

Mike Buesseler
Nov-13-2007, 7:31pm
Those last two posts are HILARIOUS!! ("I wouldn't call it a better way, but...." and "Sound familiar?") http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

chipotle
Nov-13-2007, 8:12pm
In my situation, in retrospect, I spent more money working my way up the mando food chain. I wish I had purchased a better instrument at the onset rather than "settling for" and watching for a better deal. The better deal did finally come but I am still not at my ideal yet either.

Rick Lindstrom
Nov-13-2007, 8:21pm
I'm talking about people selling instruments that are at the top of the "mandolin food chain" (by most standards) after having owned them such a short time that they couldn't possibly have gotten to know them or appreciate their potential.

Seems like something else is operative here- just wondering what it is.

Rick

stevem
Nov-13-2007, 8:41pm
I went through 9 mandos in about 5 years. In several cases, I bought trying to flip for a small profit--most of the time it worked. I was just trying to crawl my way up the ladder.

Buying new makes no sense to me unless you have the money for it and know you want it for the long haul. There's just too much of a price hit.

Michael Lewis
Nov-14-2007, 2:27am
That's the old "catch and release" thing again. I know some fellows that are usually trying to sell some high end mandolin because they have another just about to arrive from the maker. These guys have gone through Gilchrists, Nuggets, Monteleones, Gibson, Dudes, and others. Now that the prices have elevated to such a degree these past few years their activity has slowed considerably.

There are some people that will never be completely happy with an instrument, and will always be looking for something better. The grass is greener somewhere else. Maybe they get bored with what they have. It is nearly impossible to expalin why some folks do what they do. So, buy all you want, we'll make more! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

surfandstrum
Nov-14-2007, 3:07am
I thought I'd jump in since it started with my Phoenix going up on the classifieds...I love being called out...Anyway to satisfy the interested party, I have an opportunity to purchase my friends mandolin that I've been wanting to acquire for awhile...He didn't plan to ever part with it because it was his "Holy Grail" mandolin...Financial hardship has caused him to liquidate and I wanted to help out and keep the mandolin in the circle of friends and get some $$ to him during his time of need...I personally love the Phoenix and would have kept it if this situation didn't come up...I know I'm taking a loss, but it's calculated and worth it to me...I would have explained this privately, but cest la vie, let's make it public...

Rick Lindstrom
Nov-14-2007, 6:29am
Ooops- didn't mean to pull your covers SurfandStrum, and I certainly didn't intend to cause you embarrassment- please accept my public apology.

You story is interesting, and I appreciate you sharing it. It sort of fills in some blanks for me. I would guess that there is some sort of similar personal story behind most of those turnarounds.

Rick

surfandstrum
Nov-14-2007, 8:16am
No worries...Thanks...I'm glad you were able to see the other side...I know there are flippers out there who just turn and burn fine instruments to make a profit...Others in the economy right now, just need to get funds to pay the mortgage or help a friend out...

surfandstrum
Nov-14-2007, 8:18am
Side note...I also look at it like karma...I had to return my "holy grail" guitar back to the maker because my wife lost her job...So I can understand many of the unfortunate situations out there...There is always another side to the story these days...

mandolooter
Nov-14-2007, 10:51am
[QUOTE] These guys have gone through Gilchrists, Nuggets, Monteleones, Gibson, Dudes, and....

Don't leave yourself out of that equation Michael!
Im still dreaming of a DS 2 point someday from ya, tho I'll probably hold on to it, haha.

To stay on topic I've had to liquidate some of my personal favorites lately to stay afloat also, this housing market fiasco has really slowed down the construction here. It sucks but I'll weather the storm and come out with a new mando to sate my MAS someday...I think http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif