PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin case

Michael Lewis
Nov-13-2007, 1:08am
Pics of the 3rd prototype from Concord. Wood shell, cordura cover with full zipper compartment in cover, German hardware, full suspension, arched lid, adjustable sections to acommodate various body shapes (A, F, C#, righty/Lefty), room for a ToneGard, temp and H2O meters, small humidifier, colors available inside and out.

Michael Lewis
Nov-13-2007, 1:11am
The dark color of the interior makes it difficult to show well. I had to tweak the color and light some just to make the shapes show up. Other colors will photograph better.

GD Armstrong
Nov-13-2007, 1:33am
Are they going to offer these to dealers or are they customs for you only? I've been looking for something like that for years.

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-13-2007, 2:55am
That looks like a really nice,well thought out case Michael. I'm glad that they have made the outside cover 'button down' rather than a zipper. The zipper on my 'Liteflight' case became so stuck that i had to wrench it apart to get the case open,thus destroying the
whole case.
I echo the post above re.availability,
Saska

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-13-2007, 3:09am
I just did a search for 'Concord' cases,but came up with a case made by 'Bobelok'.
Their # 1019 case is almost identical to the Concord case. The basic case costs
$215 from Gianna Violins & can have additional features such as a Hygrometer & a humififier,presumably at extra cost,
Saska

fatt-dad
Nov-13-2007, 8:10am
I like having a "well" to either side of the neck (like a Loar case). Having all that rectangular space and not being able to store some music, strings or a cloth just doesnt make sense to me. . . Otherwise I like the case.

Larry S Sherman
Nov-13-2007, 9:09am
It looks like the "wells" have lids that can be opened or closed. I can see the little handles. Should be plenty of storage.

Larry

sgarrity
Nov-13-2007, 12:58pm
To heck with the case....LOOK at that mandolin!! Very cool!

AlanN
Nov-13-2007, 1:01pm
Awesome. And the top-lid pillows are very well-placed.

Me like.

Kevin K
Nov-13-2007, 1:26pm
Me like too, nicely done inside.
Let's see outside pictures.

Michael Lewis
Nov-13-2007, 3:00pm
First, the case should be available from dealers. I have assisted Concord with the design and development, I will be using the case as my standard case with Calton as an up grade.

The "boxes" along side the headstock are indeed compartments with lids. The cover does have a zipper for when you want to really secure the case, but for casual use the latch and the magnetic flaps do a good job of closing the case for carrying around, like at a festival.

The cover has a full "pocket" with zipper around the whole lid. under the bottom are 4 "D" rings for attaching the shoulder strap or back pack straps.

You will have to wait for an unbiased evaluation as to comparison with Bobelock, and I hope Stephen Perry will help in this regard. I have not seen a Bobelock except on the web, but I assure you they don't have all the useful and strategic features this case has.

Kevin K
Nov-13-2007, 3:08pm
Price ballpark?

JHo
Nov-13-2007, 3:15pm
Are there any plans for any other colors besides black? A silvery grey perhaps, or a tweedish khaki?

Michael Lewis
Nov-13-2007, 8:40pm
Ballpark price around $300. As stated previously, other colors will be available including light gray.

More pics of features: "D" rings and bumpers

Michael Lewis
Nov-13-2007, 8:45pm
Again, forgive the quality of the pics as I am not a photographer and had to push some aspects with Photoshop just to get things to show up.

This shows the top cover which is padded and insulated with foam.

Michael Lewis
Nov-13-2007, 8:47pm
Close up of the D rings

Michael Lewis
Nov-13-2007, 9:04pm
To correct previous information, there 5 not 4 "D" rings on the case. There is one at each corner and one on the back for the back pack straps, which are included. Also, if no one noticed, there is a strap on the headstock end to use as a handle for when you need to carry the case in a crowdwd invironment, like on a subway or in an elevator.

The case and the company that makes them look really good to me. The interior fittings and trim are well thought out and designed to not only look good but function well for a long time. The exterior fittings are robust and well finished. In a conversation with the owner I suggested several ways of accomplishing some aspects and the owner said that he wants the best way, not the cheapest way. This gives you some insight to the quality of the company, Concord.

This is not a fiberglas or Kevlar bomb proof case, but it is a well thought out and functional case. If you have an instrument that you value and want a good case for it, this should fit the bill for most folks. It is good stuff.

GD Armstrong
Nov-14-2007, 3:05am
I've been selling Concord cases for violin family instruments for several years and been very happy with them. Good value for the money. They make a violin/viola double case maybe now we can get a violin/mando case made.

foldedpath
Nov-14-2007, 3:40am
Looks nice, except the center accessory box looks pretty skimpy, compared to the size of the case. Will it fit a Peterson StroboFlip? One reason I like my Travelite is that the middle pocket will fit my StroboFlip tuner, plus a small film can with picks (hey, remember film?) and a clip-on piezo transducer and cord for the tuner. I've seen plenty of cases lately that don't have accessory pockets big enough to hold that tuner, or the other junk we sometimes like to carry.

Maybe that center pocket is large enough, I dunno... but it looks like it's sort of an afterthought. Maybe I'm being fooled by the size of the case in the photo, and the center compartment is bigger than it looks. I like everything else about the design.

Greg H.
Nov-14-2007, 1:37pm
Foldedpath
Looks nice, except the center accessory box looks pretty skimpy

I think you're missing the compartments on either side of the neck. It looks to me like it has as much storage space (if not more) than most cases available. . . .now I just need to buy another mandolin to need a case for. . . http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Desert Rat
Nov-16-2007, 12:13am
I have a Concord Professional Elite #2207 violin case that uses the same materials and components as this new mandolin case. #For a mid-priced case, it is very well-made, and is superior to similarly-appointed models from Bobelock. #I like the Bobelock cases, as they generally represent high value. #However, they lack refinement: The colors are boring, the tailoring is clunky, the handles are cheap-looking plastic...for years to come, your instrument will arrive safely at the gig, but it will never arrive with style.

The Concord cases I've seen have had close-fitting, wrinkle-free padded covers, properly-aligned latches that WORK, leather-wrapped handles with attractive mounting hardware, VERY well executed instrument suspension, annoyingly effective magnetic rain-flaps (I say "annoyingly" only because I live in a dry climate), and a few color combinations outside the yawn-inducing "black exterior with burgundy, blue, or green interior."

As with Bobelock, the company is headquartered in the US, with assembly overseas. #Concord's facility is in Beijing. #If I remeber correctly, Bobelock's is in the Phillipines.

I got mine Concord online from finecases.com. #As yet, their website doesn't show this new Concord mandolin case. Perhaps Mr. Lewis will have some exclusivity?

Here's a picture of my Concord violin case. (http://www.finecases.com/browse/concord-cases/concord-cases-2360.html)

p.s. Don't worry if there'll be storage space for your tuner in that new Concord mandolin case - you could fit a full-sized hoagie and two cans of beer in those compartments alongside the neck.

wannabethile
Nov-19-2007, 10:09pm
it says that it has room for a tone guard, but without the toneguard, would a mandolin be bouncing around inside of it all?

NoNickel
Nov-19-2007, 10:30pm
I have a Bobelok 1019, which came as an upgrade with my BRW. On first glance it looks very similar to the above case, with the following differences:
-- would not accomodate both left and right F styles
-- there are no pillow blocks
-- no headstock support as above
-- neck support is not as substantial
-- 4 D rings instead of 5
-- Hygrometer is in the case, not the lid
-- Storage areas look to be 3" shorter.

All in all the one above seems -- on features alone -- to be an upgrade. Note, however that the Bobelock can be had fot $150 to $200.

Michael Lewis
Nov-20-2007, 3:21am
A mandolin will not wiggle or rattle in this case because of the full suspension system. There is room to put the mando in the case with the ToneGard installed, also there will be a facility to hold the ToneGard securely when it is not on the instrument.

Re comparison to other cases, I think we should reserve final judgement until they can be scrutinized by unbiased and knowledgeable folks. It is loaded with features that most folks will appreciate.

Russ Partain
Nov-26-2007, 12:25am
Michael,
Can you speak to the weight and the availibility?
I have been patiently waiting since I saw one in Grass Valley. Hope you are doing well. All is well in KS. I will be in CA this summer and my see you at Grass Valley.

Russ Partain

Michael Lewis
Nov-26-2007, 3:19am
Hey Russ!

Sorry that I didn't weigh the case but it is a bit lighter than a Calton.

Availability ? Possibly in January. I will see the manufacturer at the NAMM show in January and they may announce availability then. The NAMM show is the industry trade show where all the newest stuff is unvailed, so I expect to see something then, but at this point I can't promise anything as I have not heard any release date.

Jonathan Peck
Nov-26-2007, 9:43am
Very nice looking case that has all the features that you could ever want in an everyday case. The only thing that makes me a little nervous is that I'd rather see the temperature and hygrometer gauges more to the left over the compartment rather than over the 'f'hole. One small nitpick, overall looks like a very useful and convenient case.

Russ Partain
Jan-27-2008, 7:33pm
Michael, as January draws to an end, is ther any news on this issue? I have been waiting since Father's Day. Sometimes I wish I had made off with your prototype(LOL). I hope this e-mail finds you well.

Russ

Michael Lewis
Jan-28-2008, 3:48am
Well, Russ, I have some good news. I saw the 3rd version of the case at the NAMM show in Anaheim last week. We have finally settled on the system for holding a Tonegard in the lid, and that was the last item on my list. By the way, the ToneGard will easily fit in the case while it is still on the instrument if you decide to stow it that way.

The prototype is now on it's way to the factory and we should hear of availability in a month or so. I am pretty pleased with what we have come up with, and will use it as my standard case.

Russ Partain
Mar-01-2008, 12:45pm
Michael, Since I am still patiently waiting, can you give me an update? March is now upon us. Will I be able to buy one from you??? I would want the lightest color available. Preferably tan.

Let me know.

Russ

Michael Lewis
Mar-02-2008, 2:11am
Hey Russ, #I know it has been a while and we are all patiently waiting. At NAMM in late January I met with the head of the Concord company, Mr. Chi Yang, and he said it should not be long before we see cases. #I reminded him that light exterior colors will be important for many people. #

We got the ToneGard holding system worked out, so you can put the mandolin in the case with or without the ToneGard, and if you prefer not to leave the Gard on the instrument you can store it in the lid of the case. #There will probably be small details to improve and update as with any new production, but so far I don't see any. # It is a very nice and well thought out case that I will be using as my standard equipment. #Hopefully I will be showing a new F model nestled in one by June. #The cases should be here long before that, I hope to have the mandolin finished by then.

I realise this wasn't the answer you were looking for, but I have been expecting to hear from the Concord folks and see some cases anytime now.

PsychoMando
Mar-16-2008, 12:31am
This is a test.

BlueMountain
Mar-18-2008, 9:06am
I'd like to call your attention to the padding in this case, as seen in the first photo (and to some extent the second). The back of the mandolin sits on two small foam pads. The rest of the back is elevated above the case. Most of the neck lies in a form-fitting foam cradle. There is a wedge of foam on which the headstock lies. Two soft foam squares in the top of the case press down on the fretboard (where it is cradled from below) and the tailpiece (with padding below). The rest is air. This is excellent design. Some of these features are found in other cases, but I haven't seen the wedge under the headstock before. Nice touch. The rigid sides of the pockets on each side of the neck help prevent crushing in case of an accident.

One suggestion: If the walls of those pockets were an inch higher, they would be even more useful in preventing crushing, or if there were similar pockets in the top of the case that met with the lower ones when the case was closed.

As for room for music, as there is lots of open space above the body at present and above the neck, you could probably fit a couple reams of handouts in there if you wanted to. (But please no CDs). (Or, hey, you could make the pockets high enough to fit CD jewel cases in there. Think how handy that would be for players who want to sell a couple dozen CDs after the show!)

I wonder if the makers have done crush tests on this case. If you stand on it, what happens to the mandolin inside?

Fred G
Mar-18-2008, 10:20am
I really like the full lid zippered flap on these cases. I have a case for my A and it came in really handy. Last year coming back out of Heathrow they hit me with the only one item carry on no matter what (even though musical instruments do not count, you only feel safe arguing so long or getting so mad) and I had a company lap top so I found that it fit in the zippered part and I checked the empty laptop bag.

Michael Lewis
Mar-28-2008, 12:26am
Just got notice that the cases will be arriving near the end of May. It seems like a long time to wait, but I have lots of work to do before they get here. Trying to have 3 F style mandos ready by then.

Mandomaiden
Mar-28-2008, 1:25am
Michael--Do you expect to have any of them with you at Grass Valley?

Michael Lewis
Mar-29-2008, 12:08am
Certainly hope to have them there. Chances are very good.