PDA

View Full Version : Nice !

El Greco
Nov-11-2007, 9:55pm
I thought this was a great looking instrument enough to share. #I have a Cascade , but this one is WHAT I WANT #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif NEW FF PRIVATE RESERVE (http://www.breedloveguitars.com/gallery/privatereserve_ff_mandolin.php)

otterly2k
Nov-11-2007, 11:27pm
nice. I still don't care for the FF's headstock, but that fretboard inlay is sweet.

MLT
Nov-11-2007, 11:39pm
Congratulations! I saw this the other day as I was scanning the Breedlove site. I would definately be interested in what the other two instruments are and seeing the three necks together to get the full effect of the inlay work.

mrmando
Nov-11-2007, 11:45pm
nice. I still don't care for the FF's headstock, but that fretboard inlay is sweet.
How can you not like a headstock that has a built-in bottle opener?

labraid
Nov-11-2007, 11:48pm
How can you not like a headstock that has a built-in bottle opener?
With a name like Private Reserve, hehe, I thought it was going to be a bottle.

Chris Biorkman
Nov-12-2007, 12:05am
Kudos to Breedlove for doing something different, but that thing is fugly to these eyes.

Antlurz
Nov-12-2007, 12:25am
Love the wood, but not too enamored with the scroll or headstock design.

Ron

Shalebot
Nov-12-2007, 12:28am
I think it's my favorite 'contemporary' design that I've seen yet.

I think the F-5 still reigns supreme in my mind. =P

surfandstrum
Nov-12-2007, 1:14am
So is this mandolin For Sale? Or is just for looks and the calendar?

james condino
Nov-12-2007, 2:48am
I used to work with Kim Breedlove out at the Tumalo shop. He is an amazing artist. The few Breedlove instruments that I see up for public sale rarely do justice to him. They make some absolutely amazing instruments, most of which go to private collectors. He is also a great player. If you get a chance to meet him, make sure you pick a few tunes together. I can credit him for my learning Whiskey Before breakfast on my lunch break!

j.
www.condino.com

El Greco
Nov-12-2007, 8:31am
I'd love to meet Kim. I agree he's a great artist/builder, not afraid to try new things. Some day I might try to do a shop tour. They have other cool happenings on-site too.

This FF series might not have the F5 headstock/scroll but, overall the wood selection and finish coincide with my definition of a beautiful instrument. As always, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder of course...

JEStanek
Nov-12-2007, 9:13am
That is pretty cool. I wonder if the other inlay scenes are of other Nortwest Coastal Navitve American themes. Variety is the spice of life.

Jamie

PaulD
Nov-12-2007, 9:33am
I love the myrtlewood back & sides! Myrtlewood can be so stunning or rather bland... I would definitely put that in the stunning category. I imagine it's a decent tonewood... does anyone have any experience with myrtlewood mandos or guitars? I also think it works well with the kinda stripy red spruce. I like rest of the design too... although the headstock is my least favorite part.

pd

Chip Booth
Nov-12-2007, 12:28pm
Love the myrtlewood and Walnut. Not too keen on the shape, I prefer their O and K designs.

Paul, there was a Breedlove myrtlewood guitar in the store where I teach for well over a year. It was absolutely stunning to look at, with their Northwest inlay. When it came in it sounded like a pice of junk though. However, and this is typical of Breedlove guitars in my experience, over time it really came to life and when it was finally bought it was a very nice sounding guitar. It was a bit bright, and had a different sort of sound, maybe more like koa that mahogany or rosewood, hard to describe, and since Breelove has so many odd things going on from body design to bracing, I can't narrow the sound down to the wood choice. But I certainly wouldn't discount myrtlewood as a good tonewood.

Chip

labraid
Nov-12-2007, 12:47pm
The headstock kinda grows on you after a while... Me anyway. I can think of many a time staring at a piece of paper, designing, and something just looks "right" after a couple hours which can completely escape you after only but a glance. Like the repetition of a word a thousand times until it becomes meaningless... Art's kinda like that I think. This isn't a player's instrument, per se. Shucks, there's enough of those out there. ;)

billhay4
Nov-12-2007, 1:15pm
It's a looker, that's for sure. I saw a similar Breedlove the other day, with the same scroll. Don't think the scroll holds a strap, though. The player had it attached to the headstock.
Bill

Ted Eschliman
Nov-12-2007, 6:56pm
FWIW, this is was part of a larger series built for a collector. Guitar, 12-string & mando, all with similar cosmetics.
I'm told this mando went for about $11K.

Bill Van Liere
Nov-12-2007, 7:24pm
California's answer to a Giacomel?

james condino
Nov-12-2007, 9:21pm
Kim and the Breedlove shop are in Oregon, not California. His brother Larry is in California and works for Bob Taylor. Larry actually founded Breedlove with Steve Henderson, but they have both gone other directions.

j.
www.condino,com

Bill Van Liere
Nov-12-2007, 9:32pm
well my apoligies then

telepbrman
Nov-14-2007, 2:10am
I have a Quartz FF, and I snagged her for a few reasons. I like the modern look, she's loud and strong, and I like the natural feel and nut/neck size...but mostly because of the look. If you get 4 or 5 pickers together, most of the time they all show up with an "F" style that are just about all the same, but I show up with this "FF" and it's not boring, that's my take, so I appreciate and applaud the difference that Breedlove and Condino build into their instruments. I know this has been covered before...dy.

P/S Mando-lynn...I see it the same way you do....

MandoSquirrel
Nov-15-2007, 9:02pm
I love the myrtlewood back & sides! Myrtlewood can be so stunning or rather bland... I would definitely put that in the stunning category. I imagine it's a decent tonewood... does anyone have any experience with myrtlewood mandos or guitars? I also think it works well with the kinda stripy red spruce. I like rest of the design too... although the headstock is my least favorite part.

pd
The local GC had 2 myrtlewood Breedlove guitars(Northwest Classics) the last couple of times I was there. Both are beauties, the newer one was still a bit tight, but they have Great balance, low to high, mid's included. Playing a chord is kind of like hearing each individual string combined with the others, rather than one collective chord sound, if you understand. To my ear, the only new guitar I've heard with a superior sound had Macassar(striped ebony) back & sides. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

I'm VERY interested in myrtle as a mandolin back. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sleepy.gif

james condino
Nov-16-2007, 4:06am
It has been covered here a few times, but myrtle makes great mandolin back and sides. Be careful not to heat it too much or the sides will turn a bit green. I've made a few mandolins with myrtle back,sides, and neck combined with a douglas fir top that sounded great and looked beautiful. If you look around a bit, myrtle can be found with amazing color and figure that looks like fine Koa. It is all over your local firewood piles in southern Oregon. Good excuse to go run the Rogue River!

It also makes a great flattop steel string guitar back and sides. I don't care for it when paired up with the myrtle neck- it is a bit bright and stiff for my tastes in that combination. Set it up wit a nice mahagony neck and it opens up to a great, very versatile guitar.

j.
www.condino.com