PDA

View Full Version : Choro famoso & workshop at port townsend

Al Bergstein
Nov-11-2007, 2:51pm
Just ended a three day workshop with Mike Marshall and his band Choro Famoso. Held at Fort Worden, Port Townsend, WA. 30 people came, mandolin, guitar, percussion, and some other instruments like clarinet, accordian, flute. It was a wonderful time, lots of playing, got a history of choro from the Dr. himself, Andy Connell.

We got to play in small ensembles, four 1.5 hour practice sessions, with each musician rotating through to give us their help on their particular instrument. Our ensemble worked (and performed) Andre de Sapato Novo. Also worked on Na Gloria and beautiful and simple (but deceptively complex) Gaucho (Corta Jaca) Maxixe (pronounced ma she she) by Chiquinha Gonzaga of the early 1900s'. Our group had pandero, two clarinets, guitar, bass, and two mandolins. It was a fabulous fun experience. Really helps drive your reading skills. I don't really recommend coming to this kind of event if you are a non reading mando player. All the stuff is written, no tab, and for someone like me, a slow reader, it was a stretch, but it came together, somewhat. The fast site readers had it much better. Which seemed to be everyone but the mando players (G).

C.F. are heading down the coast, Tacoma tonight, The Shedd in Eugene on Tuesday. Don't miss them. Over the top. As good as it gets without going to Brazil.

Touring schedule at http://www.mikemarshall.net/concerts.htm

Unfortunately, they couldn't get enough rooms at the Fort for this workshop and about 20 people were turned away. Next year I will help the crew to find housing outside of the fort (for example I could house three people at my place, a block from the fort). So we'll strive to get a larger group here. Spread the word and I'll get the posts out next summer when they open it up for registration.

By the way, any choro players in Seattle or Vancouver that want to stay in touch and get together to play occasionally?