PDA

View Full Version : Bowlback obsession

gregoryf
Nov-11-2007, 10:34am
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff162/gregswarmachine/IMG_97572.jpg
Here is a picture of my new mandolin,made by a man named "Sam". Thats all i know about the man,other then the three mandolins he has made me are beautiful.This is a picture of Joan of arc, being visited by the angle Michael i requested for the back. Front view to come :}. Also, I am self taught so i wanted to add: this sight has helped out alot. From the forums to the music notes to practice with. Thank You

Plamen Ivanov
Nov-11-2007, 10:51am
Reminds me of the Antonio Tsai stuff...

JeffD
Nov-11-2007, 12:32pm
Love to see the front.

Bill Snyder
Nov-11-2007, 12:41pm
Reminds me of the Antonio Tsai stuff...
Antonio Tsai's would be done with inlay instead of paint.
I think more of it as a bowlback version of one of Ken Ratliff's Silver Angel paintings.

Jim Garber
Nov-11-2007, 1:08pm
Antonio Tsai is close. This is (I believe) from <a href="http://search.stores.ebay.com/Sam-Musical-Instrument-Workshop_mandolin_W0QQfciZ12QQfclZ3QQfsnZSamQ20Mus icalQ20Instrument
Q20WorkshopQQfsooZ2QQfsopZ3QQftsZ2QQsaselZ40037081 QQsofpZ0" target="_blank">Sam's Workshop</a>, yet another Taiwanese seller on eBay (along with Tsai and Bruce Wei). Most of these are made or worked on in Viet Nam.

In would love to hear some more about the details and playability of these. Aside from the decorative work, I wonder about the real craftsmanship. I have also heard that the hardware and accessories are not of the highest quality but that some of these instruments can be made to be quite playable with some work.

JEStanek
Nov-11-2007, 1:17pm
Our own Paul Hostetter has crowed of the virtues of some of Tsai's instruments after some work. I would like to hear more about playability and comfort on one of these too.

Jamie

brunello97
Nov-11-2007, 1:19pm
The tradition of painted backs on mandolins must go back fairly far. These 'gypsy' paintings on the back of mandolinettos have a certain charm to them for me. I know nothing of their craft or playability. Certainly looks like an impermeable coat of finish on yours, Gregory. Any more views of the mandolin and painting?

Mick