PDA

View Full Version : Alanta, georgia, any music stores there?

Greenmando
Nov-10-2007, 12:46pm
Just wondering if there was any music stores I could visit when in town or any nice events going on. I arrive tomorrow and will be in town thru Thursday. I plan on looking at some gun stores if I find any, who knows maybe a Remington/Gibson store could exist?

Ken Berner
Nov-10-2007, 10:34pm
Tom, Please check the telephone directory for a music store on the East side of Atlanta, probably off I-185. If I can find the name. I'll let you know, but the owner is Tommy Allen, formerly of Mobile, AL. Tommy carries high-end instruments and is very knowledgeable when it comes to guitars and mandolins. Tommy and I used to play in church together back in the early '90s; fine fellow.

Ted Lehmann
Nov-11-2007, 8:34am
The store for banjo.com is in Marietta, GA, but don't let the name fool you, they have a very good stock of a range of accoustic instruments. John Drummond, the owner, is a delightful guy, willing to spend lots of time with everyone. Ask to visit the warehouse to see the difference between a storefront and a web business. PS - they also sell unicycles, strange combination. They're a little difficult to get to, because the store is located in one of those suburban office parks that litter the landscape, but the trip is well worth it. - Ted

mandoforme
Nov-12-2007, 1:44am
Check out Maple Street Guitars. #They carry Collings, Weber, and Eastman mandolins. #[URL=http://www.maplestreetguitars.com]

Ken Berner
Nov-12-2007, 11:31am
Greenmando, call Tommy Allen at Atlanta Premier Guitars; 770-860-8551. Tell Tommy that I sent you.

sumibuilt
Nov-12-2007, 8:03pm
Make sure you go to Red light cafe on thursday, open jam 7-9 then bluegrass on stage, Then Everetts on saturday night, big open house jam.

sumibuilt
Nov-13-2007, 9:35am
Your right about the wine and cheese thing at Maple Street, but IMHO they have one of the best selections in town for high end stuff. I know the owners pretty well and they are good folks. They're just real protective of their inventory.

mandoforme
Nov-13-2007, 9:59pm
Shayne and Don are both right about Maple Street Guitars, but they do normally have a good selection of mandolins. I have played some nice Collings mandolins in their store. The owners are nice, but I wasn't very impressed by the repair guy, Jeff Henry. YMMV.

Greenmando
Nov-15-2007, 8:16pm
Thank you to all that responded. Can you believe I have been working 14 hour days all week, thought I was going to fall asleep in the rental car yesterday. I am hoping to get a few hours to enjoy my time here. I guess there is a small chance I will be here next week, I will have Sunday to play around if so.

1mandodave
Nov-16-2007, 1:21am
I've seen some pretty good acoustic instruments at Midtown Music. Interesting place to visit anyway.
Midtown Music
3326 North Druid Hills Road
Decatur, GA 30033
U.S.A. www.midtownmusic.com