PDA

View Full Version : 1976 gibson f5

kelvin
Nov-08-2007, 10:25am
Hello,
First let me say that I live in a mando wasteland. The selection at the local shops is terrible. I am looking to upgrade to a better instrument. My question is I ran across a local shop that had a Gibson F5 serial number 968-381 made in Kalamazoo on 5/26/1976 and signed by &^$%&&* you can't make it out. It is in fair good condition. I played it and it sounds great and the playability was very nice and smooth. Comsetically the finish had some checking that you would expect but the lacquer or varnish and really yellowed. Oh and the frets where showing some wear.

Could you folks give me an idea on what this might be worth or your thoughts on this mando from a resell potential if I purchased it and ended up having to sell it. Also what is the cost to send said instrument in for a redo!

Thanks in advance

Kelvni

lovethemf5s
Nov-09-2007, 3:48pm
The 2007 Vintage Guitar Price Guide values this mandolin in excellent condition at $3200-$4000. You are asking the wrong folks for a redo estimate. Talk to Gibson.

Greenmando
Nov-09-2007, 4:06pm
The Gibsons from the 70's were lacking in general, some exceptions have to be out there. Randy Wood was redoing them into nice mandos for a while.

f5loar
Nov-10-2007, 12:01am
I've seen them in the past few years as low as $2500 and as high as $4500. I'd say if it's one of the rare good ones and it is indeed all original then $3000 would be a fair market price. Possbile Randy Wood already got a hold of that one.