PDA

View Full Version : Yank Rachell

Sellars
Jun-04-2004, 2:26am
Yesterday I listened to the CD Chicago Style from Yank Rachell. The only other work i know from him comes from the anthology of american folk music.

As the title of the CD might allready suggest, the music was pretty clean electric blues, and IMHO relatively straight forward.

This is not my kind of blues. I have a lot more affinity with the raw aacoustic delta blues (like the song from the anthology).

Which CDs of Yank should I listen to to hear his raw acoustic blues?

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

BigRig
Jun-04-2004, 5:54am
I would recommend "Yank Rachell's Tennessee Jug Busters - Mandolin Blues" for the raw acoustic style. I don't know if it's easily attainable, as I found a copy about three years ago by luck. You might also try some older Sleepy John Estes albums. He played on a number of them as well as some early Sonny Boy Williamson cuts.

John Flynn
Jun-04-2004, 6:48am
I saw the "Tennessee Jug Busters" CD on Elderly's site about seven months ago, although I wound up buying it from a local store. I agree, it is a great CD and the liner notes are a pretty interesting character study also.

bluesmandolinman
Jun-04-2004, 12:39pm
I like all of Yankīs CDīs !

You may also check the Sleepy John Estes CDīs where he is acompanied by Yank !

If you like Blues Mandolin I recommend also :

Johnny Young ( check the Testament CDīs)
Charlie McCoy ( 1930īs Blues Mandolin Heroe !!!!)
Carl Martin ( Crow Jane Bues CD also on Testament )

You say Delta Blues ? I know of a Son House CD ( canīt be more Delta i guess) where he is acompanied on I think 2 songs by someone called " Fiddlin Joe Martin " . Cool Blues mando too ! Canīt remember the name of the CD sorry.

If you canīt get enough look for :

Steve James ( Guitar player with nice blues mando playing
Big Jack Johnson ( same )
Saffire ( female blues trio with Andra Faye on blues mandolin)

Buy them all !!!!

Sellars
Jun-05-2004, 3:52am
Hey thanks for the recomendations bluesmandolinman!

I'll sure look out for them!

Are those all acoustic blues?

M. Hollen
Jun-07-2004, 8:51pm
There was a locally produce (Indianapolis, IN) CD called "pig trader blues". It's just Yank, his mando and an acostic guitar backup. It was put out by the Slippery Noodle Inn (local blues bar). Yank was about 85 or so when he cut this CD, but he still had it going on.

busstopeddy
Jun-08-2004, 11:00am
Yo bluesmandolinman !

Are you Steve James ?

Eric

ira
Jun-08-2004, 3:13pm
just listened to two clips on the slippery noodle site and immediately ordered pig trader blues. if you like it raw- perfect! just mando, guitar and a growly ole blues voice.

Sellars
Jun-09-2004, 1:36am
Hi Ira,

would that be raw in the old acoustic delta blues kind of way or raw in the big-overdriving-amplifier chicago blues kind of way?

Both are called raw a lot of times, although to me chigago blues is more loud than raw http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif

ira
Jun-09-2004, 10:36am
really raw- just a mando, guitar and a voice,. nothing flashy, and don't know if its amplified acoustic or electric, but the quality of sound is an acoustic instrumentation. there is nothing that is overdrive about it except the passion. go to the slippery noodle site (don't know it off hand, but i just typed slippery noodle yank into google and got there, ) and there are 2 30 sec. clips. one slow blues and the second a kind of jump blues. let us know what you think.

M. Hollen
Jun-09-2004, 8:14pm
It's all acoustic. On the second track Yank tells how he got his first mando. Sometimes the guitar overpowers the mando but still a good CD.

ira
Jun-16-2004, 8:18pm
just got my copy of pig trader blues, and can't stop listening to it. i actually think that the guitar and mando trade off the power, and i like how yank is somewhat minimalist allowing david morgan to get in his licks and then vice versa.

due to yank's odd tuning it is hard to play along with some of the tracks, but #s 4 and 11 (sorry, haven't learned names yet) are doable and lots of fun.

the album is interesting in the sense that it takes yank's old time jugband tunes and puts them in a modern feel, though even more bare bones and raw than many of his really old albums with john estes, sonny boy and hammy.

i think it is a phenomenal piece of work! go and get it if you like the blues!

mandonewbie
Jul-30-2004, 12:03pm
Just picked up "Chicago Style" today while out to lunch....Really good CD.

mandocrucian
Aug-03-2004, 4:11pm
Which CDs of Yank should I listen to to hear his raw acoustic blues?

Sleepy John Estes - I Ain't Gonna Be Worried No More, 1929-1941 Yazoo 2004

70+ minutes long, 23 tracks, 13 or so with Yank Rachell playing mandolin.

NH