PDA

View Full Version : A  good buy?

jb15
Nov-04-2007, 9:21pm
Hi all, I'm brand new here. I'm an average guitarist, and have just decided to try the mandolin because my buddy wanted to get rid of his and I have had an interest in it for a while.

So my question is, did I make a good purchase? Its a Michael Kelly Festival Pack and he gave it to me for 250. I have seen it listed on ebay and other sites for 500, but I don't know if people actually pay that for them. Thank you!

Caleb
Nov-04-2007, 9:28pm
Based on what I've seen, that's a great price.

Bcole
Nov-04-2007, 9:30pm
I'd say you got a good buy as long as it is in good condition. Michael Kelly's are good starter mandolins and I don't think you will see any Michael Kelly's for less than $500.

I paid about $600 for my Kentucky and I understand that it is pretty comparable to the Michael Kelly's. Although I hear that the Michael Kelly's may be a little bit better.

Brian

mandroid
Nov-04-2007, 9:43pm
Still a good plan to get it set up now that it's in your hands.

fine tune the playability, on both ends, of string height, etc.

jb15
Nov-04-2007, 10:49pm
Thanks for the replies. I thought about trying to resell it for 400 or so but once I started strumming around, I thought better of it http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif #Its in good shape, I've played around on it every since he bought it a year ago. Ive read some info about setting it up, should I just take to a shop or is it something I could handle myself?

Caleb
Nov-04-2007, 11:00pm
Take it to a _good_ shop that knows mandolins.
Taking it to some slacker guitar shop won't do any good; you'll need someone that knows mandolins and how they operate and how to _properly_ set them up. A good setup will be the best money you've ever spent.

mickey66
Nov-05-2007, 2:44pm
Here is one on ebay that just closed at the same price you paid.....http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150176889736&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005