PDA

View Full Version : Any Mandolin - Recorder Duets

Hondo
Jun-03-2004, 8:48am
Do you know of any mandolin-recorder duet sheet music? Or likely substitutions? Something in the medieval/renaissance vein?

My wife plays the alto and tenor recorders. I fumble at the mandolin. She is an accomplished musician. I am most definitely not, so we (I) would probably require something fairly easy, at least on the mandolin side of things.

Jim Garber
Jun-03-2004, 11:53am
Not too familiar with works for recorders but i believe that anything written for the soprano should be in the right range for mandolin. In that case, you should be able to find some nice duets written for soprano and alto or tenor recorders.

Jim

michaelhooper
Jun-03-2004, 6:43pm
There are a few works that I know of.
Firstly the modern ones: Jane Stanley's Spindrift/Interiors is for mandolin/mandola, recorders and piano. I have played it with Andrew Robbie and John Tyson (both Boston based) and it is a really good work.
Robert Allworth has written a work called How many sunsets will I see? Bruce Cale has written a work for recorder, mandolin and wind quintet that is good value.
There must be more, but that is all that comes to mind at the moment.
Regarding something earlier, anything is really available. At the moment I am about to perform some of Morley's Fantasie duets with recoder and mandolin. They are heaps of fun (and quite challenging [esp getting all the trill in]). You can download them for nicks at Laymusic (http://www.laymusic.org/music/sp/html/bycomposer.html). ¡This person makes these works available for the love of it! Il Grillo is probably my fav'rite.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
Michael

Jim Garber
Jun-03-2004, 8:17pm
Michael:
Is it standard procedure to dispense with bar lines as in El Grillo from that site? Any particular reason for that?

Jim

michaelhooper
Jun-04-2004, 7:42am
Those works were originally published with no barlines. The music is not in any regular metre.
I should add that whilst these works are challenging, they are lots of fun even if you don't 'go to town' with them.
La Caccia is probably the easiest.

Really good music!

Michael

Hondo
Jun-04-2004, 11:54am
Thanks, Jim and Michael. You've been very helpful! Now I just have to fine sufficient practice time...