PDA

View Full Version : Petersen om string gauges?

steve V. johnson
Oct-29-2007, 5:42pm
My friend Genny just got a great deal on a very, very slightly used Petersen L2 OM (22"), with walnut b/s, spruce top and very nice koa soundhole rosette and headstock overlay. It's strung in unison pairs, and she'll keep it that way. It's a great-sounding piece and she's delighted.

It has a tailpiece layout that's unfamiliar to me, but probably not to you all... There's a very thin metal part that is screwed to the end of the instrument, then a pretty wood piece on top, thru which the strings thread. It -looks- as tho it will allow the use of ball-end strings, but I didn't really inspect it closely.

The strings are barely used, so she'll play them a while, but she says she doesn't know quite what sizes to replace them with when it's time, so I thought I'd poll you happy Petersen players...

I'd like to know how you like and use that wooden bit at the tailpiece, and if you are using ball-end or loop-end strings with it. And, not least of all, your string gauges.

Many thanks,

stv

Celtic Saguaro
Oct-29-2007, 6:11pm
Unless it's a special order or was immediately replaced, it's like mine. The wood piece is glued to a normal metal tailpiece cover. Just slide it back. It uses loop-end strings.

GHS strings came on mine. I'm currently using D'Addario J80s which has heavier G strings. Either set sounds fine with the walnut back!

bolannta
Oct-29-2007, 7:04pm
My 1998 Petersen OM, koa back and sides, cedar top, was purchased new at Gryphon Strings. Special string sets were available for it there at that time. Mine has octaves on the G & D courses. The gauges for unisons would be .042, .034, .020 and .012. I like the sound and feel of these and have kept close to the same sizes over the years. I use either bright bronze or phosphor bronze wound strings.

Tom A
Oct-30-2007, 11:22pm
D'Addario J80 set also - .012,.022,.032,.046 w/loop ends. My instrument has the "standard" stamped metal tailpiece so I have no clue how the wood thingy works.

This string set feels a bit "stout" to finger but the sound is good. You could probably go uniformly .002 lighter on the gauges (maybe .001 on the E string) with decent sound if you order single strings.

Barbara Shultz
Nov-03-2007, 5:56pm
First, congrats on the Petersen. I own a Petersen O/M, a Petersen short scaled cittern, & a Petersen mandola, and my fellow band mate also has a Petersen short scaled cittern. I don't have my O/M right here with me, but these are what I have on the GG DD AA EE strings on my cittern, which has the same scale length as the O/M .012, .020, .032, .046. These are ghs brand (what Bill puts on them when he makes them), the E strings are plain steel, the rest are Phosphor Bronze Wrap. I've noted that he also said that I could use the .020 rather than .022 on the A strings.

zouki254
Nov-27-2007, 9:24pm
Some of my tailpieces are made for ball end strings , but most have a removeable cover and use loop end.
the original string guages were .046 .032 .022 and .012
Bill

Celtic Saguaro
Nov-27-2007, 10:22pm
Thanks for dropping by. I really enjoy owning and playing one of your OM's! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

steve V. johnson
Nov-27-2007, 11:18pm
Hey Bill!

Genny -loves- her OM! Thanks!

stv