PDA

View Full Version : Porter wagoner

JeffD
Oct-28-2007, 11:07pm
Another giant passes on to eternity.

Porter Wagoner was one of my father's favorites.

JeffD
Oct-30-2007, 5:58am
Was he ever seen with a mandolin?

Peter Hackman
Oct-30-2007, 6:23am
Was he ever seen with a mandolin?
There's been a video on YouTube of Jim&Jesse on the Wagoner show. At the time they didn't carry a BG band so they played with the Wagonmasters.

sgarrity
Oct-30-2007, 8:02am
He recorded a Bluegrass LP back in the '60s I think. Not sure who played mando on it. I think Tut Taylor was part of the band though....

AlanN
Oct-30-2007, 8:06am
And, he was the first Rhinestone Cowboy, that must account for something...

MikeEdgerton
Oct-30-2007, 8:21am
Actually, not to take anything away from Porter, I admire his work, but I beleive Little Jimmy Dickens wore the rhinestone suits first.

I saw Porter for the last time a few years ago. He still put on a decent show. As much of a cliche as some folks think he was, he had his own style and when you got past the glitz there was some good music there.

allenhopkins
Oct-30-2007, 3:45pm
Nice little tribute to Wagoner on NPR's News Hour with Jim Lehrer -- showed him singing a duet with Dolly Parton. One by one we lose these icons of a bygone era in "Country & Western," as they called it. I miss the spare sound, the obligatory acoustic guitar, even the Nudie suits with the sparkles and embroidery. Fifty years from now, whom will we remember -- Garth Brooks, Rascal Flatts, Lone Star, I don't know. Something distinctive about a Wagoner, Hank Snow, Buck Owens, Patsy Cline, Loretta, Tammy, Dolly, George Jones...oh well, probably just gettin' old...

good_ol_al_61
Oct-30-2007, 4:23pm
The news of Mr. Wagoner's passing hit close to home with me. I remember him visiting our family on several occasions (yes dressed in vintage Porter attire) when I was about 4 through 7 years of age. He usually came unannounced (and that was OK with Pop)and Mom would immediately start cooking. He liked Mom's made-from-scratch biscuits and tomato gravy. I never knew until 30 years hence that he asked Dad on several occasions to play guitar in his band. Dad obviously said no because I was little and he would be on the road. Dad really sacrificed because I never saw a guitar in the house or in his hands. I guess he knew if he started to play again he probably couldn't resist going on the road. Anyway, maybe they're making some tunes now? It is nice to think that could be so. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

mboucher
Oct-30-2007, 5:04pm
Fifty years from now, whom will we remember -- Garth Brooks, Rascal Flatts, Lone Star, I don't know. #Something distinctive about a Wagoner, Hank Snow, Buck Owens, Patsy Cline, Loretta, Tammy, Dolly, George Jones...oh well, probably just gettin' old...

You gotta throw in Lefty, Web, and Merle. I agree with George "...who's gonna fill their shoes, who's going to stand that tall..."

Mark

lovethemf5s
Oct-30-2007, 5:38pm
He was scheduled to appear at the River City Bluegrass Festival in Portland, Oregon in January. I was looking forward to hearing him perform.

keymandoguy
Oct-30-2007, 8:12pm
I allways think of Porter when I do Ole Slewfoot http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

mandolooter
Oct-31-2007, 9:03am
[QUOTE]oh well, probably just gettin' old...

Yep that seems to be happening to me also. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

AlanN
Oct-31-2007, 9:12am
And his TV show featured bluegrass, check out youtube for awesome cuts of Reno clan, and Bill Harrell. There is one with Ronnie just tearing it up on his Loar.

Don Grieser
Oct-31-2007, 9:46am
They have reruns of his show on RFD-TV.

Bradley
Nov-01-2007, 6:22am
He was definitely one of a kind and will be sorely missed.

In my own words I think it is funny when the greats pass on, and then country radio and TV suddenly hops on the bandwagon and makes a deal out of their death...and how great they were.Ironically, none of the stations played music by Johnny Cash,Paycheck, Waylon,Tammy,etc. Heck they wont even play George Jones, Merle,or even Skaggs from his country days. These radio ststions only play the new stuff and thats pathetic. Guess that is why I am so bullheaded about keeping Bluegrass trditional.I fear that in 10 years or so that the Monroe, Stanley, F&S stuff will be gone just like the "classic" stuff in country has been pushed aside. Just my .02 cents worth

I trust that Porter is enjoying "The green green grass of home"

mboucher
Nov-01-2007, 6:37am
Tune into www.wsmonline.com for the good stuff. Home of the Grand Ol Opry broadcast.

Mark

Bradley
Nov-01-2007, 9:50pm
Thanks Mark...That is the best advice I have heard
in a long time.Neat to see Eddie Stubbs coming to Xm too.

Made my evening..Thanks Again

Salty Dog
Nov-05-2007, 11:41pm
I grew up in southeastern Missouri (remember the Porter song, "Forty Miles (west) of Poplar Bluff" which would be West Plains, Mo.) and used to watch a local TV show from Cape Girardeau, Mo. called the "Slim Rhodes" show featuring Slim Rhodes (main singer) and his broher "Spec" - clown and doghouse bass player. #Porter's show was modeled on the Slim Rhodes show and "Spec" was his Bass player for many years. #They always had the house band and featured guests.