PDA

View Full Version : #1 finished

charlesa46741
Oct-28-2007, 1:03pm
This is my first mandolin. I used Siminoff's book. Top is Engleman. Back is some kind of maple. Finish is french polish A friend tells me it sounds like an F5 (I wouldn't know, I've only built guitars and a few bad violins). I'd like to buy an inexpensive mandolin to use as a model. What does anyone think of the Epiphone MM-50? I'd prefer not to spend $22k. Sorry about the bad photos.

Charles

mando83
Oct-28-2007, 1:19pm
Hey there I think that mando looks pretty nice. Wouldn't mind hearing it and seeing how it plays.

woodwizard
Oct-28-2007, 1:29pm
Nice looking! I had an '01 F5G with a finish cloose to that color once. How's the back look?

Dan Voight
Oct-28-2007, 1:33pm
Looks like some real nice work. I'd be interested in hearing it as well. I would get the F5 print from elderly instruments. Thats wat I use for some of my dims.

Skip Kelley
Oct-28-2007, 3:22pm
Charles, That mandolin looks awesome! You did a great job. I love the sunburst! I would also invest in a good set of plans and take time making some nice templates.

charlesa46741
Oct-28-2007, 3:55pm
Here is the back.

Bernie Daniel
Oct-28-2007, 4:30pm
Beautiful -- You did a great job! #

I would certainly be overjoyed to have made something like that on my first try. #

Did you also sent some pics to Roger I'm sure he would also be impressed.

I think the f-holes are interesting - more of a gentle curvature than a Gibson for example?

MrTidy
Oct-28-2007, 4:30pm
Instead of buying an Epiphone why don't you use #1 as a model??!! Is this a joke?

Chip Booth
Oct-28-2007, 4:55pm
I can't see the advantage of using a cheap import as a model. #Often there are things about them you certainly would not want to copy. #I suggest trying to get a loaner instrument from someone local. #See if you can put your hands on something really nice for a while and take all the measurements and what not you need. #I bet a Cafe member in your vicinity would be willing to help if you asked. If you are going to start building mandolins regularly I suggest you put your hands on as many as you can and really start to develop an ear for the sound of them. It took me some time to figure out what I liked and what I didn't since they have a complicated voice.

This first effort looks really great. #The end of the scroll looks a little odd to me, but I'm not a builder or an expert. Overall I think it's a fantastic looking instrument.

Chip

Darren Kern
Oct-28-2007, 5:20pm
Fantastic first instrument, you should be proud! I agree that a cheap mando wouldn't be good as a model. I've seen Michael Kellys, Epiphones, Rogues, etc that looked like a child finished the scroll and headstock scroll. I think chip's suggestion is a good one, get your hands on a good looking, sounding, and playing mando. Mandopluker (Shayne) has an advantage over many of us aspiring builders, because he owns (has owned?) a Dudenbostel, Pag, a couple Gibson Master Models, and a couple other real nice ones. I think once someone has heard/played nice instruments like that, they will be more likely able to build good instruments. Just my opinion.

charlesa46741
Oct-28-2007, 7:06pm
I appreciate the feedback. I'm sure your right about getting exposed to really good instruments.

Charles

markishandsome
Oct-28-2007, 7:29pm
Epiphone should be copying you!

JEStanek
Oct-28-2007, 8:20pm
Seriously! That's a good looking mandolin you made! Congrats.

Jamie

BlueMountain
Oct-29-2007, 7:55am
You want to "copy" an Epiphone MM-50? Is that an attempt at humor?

Your first try is gorgeous to look at. Really nice work. There are several sets of plans available of Loars with thickness readings. Just choose one of those and try another one.

PaulD
Oct-29-2007, 8:50am
Very nice work. I don't understand why you want a "model" either... it seems like you did a great job from Siminoff's plans. I think you should be able to do a good job studying some of the other plans (Hogo's plans from Elderly, Jim Davis' from GAL), comparing your work to pics here or in in the Mandolin Archives, and taking your mando out to jams so you can pass it around and develop an ear for what you want to shoot for with your next instruments. Keep up the good work!

pd

markishandsome
Oct-29-2007, 10:09am
I don't understand why you want a "model" either

It can be handy to look at an instrument "in the flesh" to see how some fine details are executed. Pictures on the internet are nice, but spending an hour looking for a picture that shows what you want is not. Even the most complete drawings are only two dimensional representations of the real deal. That being said, an instrument worth copying is probably not within the budget of an independent builder.

Charles, do you do repairs? That might be a good source of exposure to nice vintage mandos.

charlesa46741
Oct-29-2007, 11:19am
You hit the nail on the head. I don't do repairs and don't have any immediate acquaintances that have high quality mandolins. I've gone to Elderly and looked at Gibsons, etc.,but as you say, when you are carving the scroll, it's difficult to look at 2d pictures and get all the elevations correct. I just wondered if the Epiphone would be carved accurately enough to help out generally. The consensus seems to be that it would be a waste of money.

Charles

PaulD
Oct-29-2007, 11:56am
I don't know about the Epiphones but my observation with many low-end F style mandos is that the scroll profile is not very good. That's especially true of the "ridge" on the body scroll... sometimes they look like they were carved with a Dremel and finished with a wire wheel. I know what you're saying about 2-D images not giving you all the information, but I think good 2-D pics would be better than a bad 3-D model. Granted, your images are not close-up shots but from what I can see I think you're well on your way to carving a top notch scroll... and you're already better than some of the Pac-Rim models I've seen.

pd

K3NTUCKI8oy
Oct-29-2007, 12:37pm
PURDY!! Man thats a good build how does she sound??

Jerry Stapleton
Oct-29-2007, 10:26pm
kinda reminds me of a tucker mandolin. nice work!

markishandsome
Oct-30-2007, 9:09am
Siminoff, Stew-Mac and other smaller operations (Smith Creek) sell pattern carved plates for around $100. I have no idea who's is most accurate, or if any of them are any good at all really, but they might serve as a model. These would have the added benefit of the inside being exposed, and not having the 1/8" of lacquer some makers are notorious for. You could ask in the builder/repair section to see if anyone can recommend any of these products for your purpose.

charlesa46741
Oct-30-2007, 10:15am
Good idea--I just emailed Roger about his carved plates.

billhay4
Oct-30-2007, 10:26am
Charles,
You look like you have THE eye. I'd take a piece of scrap spruce and carve me a top scroll on it. I'd take another and carve a back scroll. Get them right. Use them for your 3D models.
Forget someone else's work or a machine carved scroll. Your eye is a better guide.
IMHO,
Bill

rekx
Oct-30-2007, 10:43am
wow...that is a very nice looking mando...well done!

JeffS
Nov-16-2007, 8:44pm
If you want to copy a scroll I would not use a MM-50 as a model. From the photos your scroll looks better than anything done on an entry level import. There are plenty of good photos of scrolls in the "work in progress" thread here. I think you'd be better off studying those.

mikeo2
Nov-20-2007, 9:28pm
if my first attempt looks that good, i'll be extremely happy. well done.