PDA

View Full Version : Lefty info needed

David M.
Oct-23-2007, 8:53am
I have a buddy who's a lefty and starting to look for a mando.

My question: can the flat ones like mid-mo and flatirons be converted to lefty or to the tone bars prevent correct voicing? don't know much about construction of these...

also, what other ones should he be looking at? he's spotted a M.Kelly out there and was asking me about it.

Thanks, yall.

ab4usa
Oct-23-2007, 10:27am
David,

Mid-Mo (now Big Muddy) can be converted. They will send you bridges and a blank nut as well as side marker material. They will also make your friend a lefty. Mandolin Bros usually have new leftys in stock. Other flat tops can be similarly converted but you would have to take it to a luthier to get a new bridge/bridge saddle and not. Lefty Mid-Mo/Big Muddy is a great starter mandolin.

Your friend can buy a lefty Eastman or MK. I wouldn't convert a righty though. Any arch top that has tone bars will probably not sound correct.

Bill Snyder
Oct-23-2007, 9:13pm
...#Any arch top that has tone bars will probably not sound correct.
Of course in several previous threads several (albiet not all) of the luthiers that post in the Builders/Repair section don't agree with that and see no problem with converting a carved A-style.

Timbofood
Oct-25-2007, 12:27pm
I am often confounded by the "need" for a left handed instrument. #I know this is a busy subject here but I will only go into my opinion once (I hope). #I have been left handed all my life, so far, and have never thought I needed any special instrument since I need both hands to play it anyway. #I have never seen a left handed keyboard of any kind. #You have to learn something new, besides the fact only playing "special" instruments severely limits your chances of playing the thousands of remarkable instruments in the marketplace or, even your buddy's Loar! #There, that was my argument back when I sold them and, I am sticking with it. #Now, do whatever you are comfortable with and pay me no mind.

Walter Newton
Oct-25-2007, 12:41pm
Timbofood, consider this - you need both hands to swing a baseball bat or golf club too, but I think most people when first learning to do so find it much more natural to do it one way or the other, no? #I'm right handed myself, but some lefties say playing righty just feels "wrong" to them, and I see no reason not to believe them...I agree with you, though, that there are big advantages to learning to play righty if that works for them.

Timbofood
Oct-27-2007, 7:43pm
Gee Walt, I don't think I have ever heard that one before,(Just kidding)But, I get your point. It is just one man's opinion. I am really happy to have not had the singleness of mind to have insisted on "left-handed" instruments, I would not have been able to have played some really fine vintage instruments.
As a side note, I swing a bat either way and that can play interesting tricks with a pitcher. As for golf, I always hold the club at the big end...is that rwong?
Have fun

David M.
Oct-30-2007, 3:38pm
Well, looks like my buddy who's "in need" of the lefty has found a goodie. So, we're all set for now and I appreciate the input, fellas.