PDA

View Full Version : Gibson a case

mandolirius
Oct-23-2007, 5:16am
I need to buy a case for a '28 Gibson A. Does anyone know which ones will fit?

northfolk
Oct-23-2007, 7:20am
I HAD A 28 GIBSON A. I BOUGHT A CANADIAN TWEED A STYLE CASE FROM ELDERLY MUSIC; IT FIT QUITE NICELY.

danb
Oct-23-2007, 7:22am
There are several that will fit and not really any particular brands to go for if you are just looking for a utility case. If you have a dealer nearby and can take the mandolin in, you should be able to find a nice hardshell anywhere from $40-80 US

mandolirius
Oct-23-2007, 2:18pm
Thanks guys. I'm just looking for something cheap until I can find a real old Gibson case. It's in an F-shaped case that needs to be packed with socks or foam to keep it from moving around. That's a pain in the butt.

Jim Garber
Oct-23-2007, 9:37pm
Frankly you will spend a great deal for an original Gibson case and it will not be worth the money in terms of practicality. And my experience with Gibsons I have had in the past is that they rattle around in their original cases.

I suppose it might up the ante when you wanted to sell it with an "original" case (or at least an appropriate "period" one) but I don't know if you would even recoup the difference anyway.

I would opt for a nice TKL arched case. You could take the $250+ you would spend on a vintage case and get yourself a real protective sturdy case for lots less.

OTOH if you want something cheap but will be protective, you can't do too badly with the Musician's Friend $29.95 case (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-Hardshell-AStyle-Mandolin-Case?sku=544411).

Ray(T)
Oct-24-2007, 11:38am
Yes - my '15 "A" rattles around in its original case. Its away for a set-up at the moment in my Calton "F" case - within which it fits perfectly. My Holoubek "F" fits the Calton and the original "Cheapo" case it came with but the "A" doesn't fit the cheapo. The poin't I'm trying to make is that the best thing would be to go out and try several. - Ray

johnnymando
Oct-25-2007, 12:42pm
Yeah, I agree that the original Gibby cases allow the instrument to rattle around too much. My snakehead has a mint orig. case. For travel, I put it in an F5 case that my Sam Bush came in. The original cases are getting to be worth too much anyway.

mythicfish
Oct-25-2007, 1:43pm
All that "rattling around" translates into "tone enhancement" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
So what are we supposed to do with those old cases?
I'd like to see mine go to someone who (for whatever reason) really wants one.

mandroid
Oct-25-2007, 2:15pm
Calton.
[for A style]
I have fit my 22 A4 or
the electrified A50 that
came in it,
interchangeably.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

mandopaul
Oct-26-2007, 10:41pm
"OTOH if you want something cheap but will be protective, you can't do too badly with the Musician's Friend $29.95 case."

I've been looking at this case, but i don't think it has a shaped top. If it does not, the bridge will come into contact with the inside of top, and i don't want any pressure on it when the lid is closed.

So do these have a shaped top?