PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin calendar

JeffD
Oct-22-2007, 8:00pm
So whaddaya think?

An 18 month canendar with mandolin picks from the site (with all proper permissions of course).

Scott could charge for them to pay for the cost of printing them up and a little profit to help defray the cost of bandwidth.

Hmmm.

Chris Biorkman
Oct-22-2007, 8:08pm
I think Mandopluker should contribute.

TNT
Oct-22-2007, 8:14pm
Great Idea!

squirrelabama
Oct-22-2007, 8:15pm
Ok, I know I'm some what of a hillbilly, but I always thought there were 12 months in the year....unless you are talking about a DAWG year!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

JeffD
Oct-22-2007, 8:35pm
Well of course it could be a 12 month calendar, but 18 month would have more pics!

Roydw3
Oct-24-2007, 10:47pm
I'll take two

Yellowmandolin
Oct-25-2007, 8:42am
ooo cool idea! There really are some amazing photographers on this site...

JeffD
Oct-25-2007, 10:11am
Depending on how many were willing to help put this together - there could be some neat mando-features. Anniversaries of signicifant dates in the lives and careers of our heros, or the release dates of famous mandolin models could be marked. Perhaps also some festivals, workshops, conferences, and concerts whose dates are known a year in advance.

Maybe some of board sponsors could be enticed to contribute tasteful content as well, for a reasonable fee.

But the main thing would be the hi-rez pictures of all those beautiful mandolins.

sunburst
Oct-25-2007, 10:37am
But the main thing would be the hi-rez pictures of all those beautiful mandolins.
Yep. It would take more than just clipping pics from the post-a-picture-of-your-mandolin section. It would take much higher resolution than those 72 ppi images, and depending on the size of the calender, it might require better pictures than some builders can easily supply.
It does sound like a good idea, though, I think the calenders would be popular, but it would take a lot of effort and organization to pull it off and have it look "professional".

sambolin
Oct-25-2007, 10:42am
[QUOTE] Anniversaries of signicifant dates in the lives and careers of our heros, or the release dates of famous mandolin models could be marked. Perhaps also some festivals, workshops, conferences, and concerts whose dates are known a year in advance.

Wonderful Idea!

fatt-dad
Oct-25-2007, 11:20am
Yeah, like July 4th would be pickguard bracket patent day!

f-d

JEStanek
Oct-25-2007, 11:43am
Try saying "pickguard bracket patent" 10 times real fast! 3000x2000 at 300 dpi makes for a fine 8x10 photo.

Jamie

TeleMark
Oct-25-2007, 12:23pm
Count me in!!

Django Fret
Oct-25-2007, 6:17pm
I am sure that a lot of mandolin/accessory related companies would also like to have the advertising opportunity a calendar like this provides.

Baloo
Oct-25-2007, 8:14pm
hmmmm.......lol.....anyone ever seen that movie calender girls......someone please help me get the idea of old hillbillies naked with nothing betwixt us and their nethers but their lovely instruments.......:p

Rick Albertson
Oct-25-2007, 10:21pm
WOW! I'd love to participate. Here's a photo I took of my 21 F4.

Rick

squirrelabama
Oct-25-2007, 10:56pm
I think there might be enough nice pictures available for one of those 365 day calenars!! One picture a day!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Bob DeVellis
Oct-26-2007, 8:52am
I've got a bunch of high-res mando pictures I'd be happy to submit. I think without sponsorship, the cost of printing good color photos on high-quality paper stock might pose a problem. But some sponsorship would do the trick. But would Company X be that crazy about sponsoring a calendar with a picture of Company Y's mando on the cover (or elsewhere)? Would a music shop want to sponsor a calendar featuring instruments not in its inventory that it might start getting calls about? Just thoughts. Worth exploring, though, and I don't mean to be a buzz killer.

Roadbike61
Oct-27-2007, 9:21am
some of the proceeds could go to Butch!

JeffD
Oct-28-2007, 3:39pm
some of the proceeds could go to Butch!
That would be awesome. I would let Scott sort it out, but I am in favor of it!

Darren Kern
Oct-28-2007, 10:07pm
I know you guys would want it to be as nice as possible, but would it have to be professional level work? I mean, great if that's available, but if it's not, I think there would still be support for a project like this, especially if it was a benefit project. You could certainly count me in.

mythicfish
Oct-28-2007, 10:31pm
"but would it have to be professional level work?"

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Adam Tracksler
Oct-29-2007, 4:47am
i can probably help out with the design and help work with a printer to get a deal on the printing....let me know...

Barb Friedland
Oct-29-2007, 7:24am
A fantastic idea indeed! Having builders supply images is a good thought. The calendar could include contact info and help these craftsmen earn a living.

Regarding technical issues, do keep in mind that "dpi" is strictly a printer issue and has nothing to do with the resolution of the original file. #It's the size and format of that initial image file that makes the difference. The bigger, the better and TIFF files tend to be superior to JPGs. (When I'm not playing music, I'm a graphic artist...)

BlueMountain
Oct-29-2007, 7:37am
A number of the builder sites have superb photos taken by professional photographers, and while those photos on the web are 72 dpi, they are derived from much sharper photos. And yes, there are also several members who do high level photographic work, too. There are several ways one could go. One would be standard calendar size, with several photos on a page of one instrument, such as larger ones of the front and back, smaller photos of details.

I've thought myself several times this year that a calendar would be a great idea. But would the market be too limited?

One thought: just as there are builders who have donated mandolins to be sold to benefit those who are sick or the families of those who have died (and get the benefit of lots of publicity--which they deserve), there may be other builders who might be willing to help defray printing costs in return for having a page (only if the photos are great). (My son's high school allows families to buy a page at the back for their senior where they can have lots of photos of the kid and congratulations, and this costs $250 for a full page in color.) I would think that if you had a dozen builders each paying $250 plus photos in return for a full page showcase of their instruments, the resulting $3,000 for twelve months or $4,500 for 18 months would pretty well cover the full cost of publishing 1,000 copies. If MandolinCafe did this, then the sales would be all profit. Even back issues of the calendar would be desirable to those with MAS.

Plamen Ivanov
Oct-29-2007, 7:37am
Great idea!!! Not just for our own amusement, but also to give it as a present to relatives and friends in order to make the mandolin more popular among them.

Good luck!

Bill Snyder
Oct-29-2007, 8:10am
I don't know about the quality but Cafe Press (http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customize/product.aspx?clear=true&no=75) will do custom 12 month calendars for $14.99 each. Perhaps a better price could be obtained if they knew there would be multiple orders.

JeffD
Oct-29-2007, 8:13am
Even back issues of the calendar would be desirable to those with MAS.
Oh yea. I would never throw out such a calander.