PDA

View Full Version : "Banjolin?"

mandowannabe
Jun-02-2004, 8:56am
A friend of mine called and wants me to look at a banjolin he has acquired. I would like to know something about them when he arrives. Does anyone have information, how they are tuned, etc? Thanks G.B.

Bruce Evans
Jun-02-2004, 10:55am
It's a banjo in mandolin tuning - GDAE. They were frequently used as the melody instrument in a banjo orchestra.

Bob DeVellis
Jun-02-2004, 12:10pm
I've pulled together some stuff HERE (http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/d/rdevelli/Vega%20MBs%20text.htm)

JiminRussia
Jun-02-2004, 7:37pm
My Brother sent me one as a present, it's an S.S. Stewart from about the middle to late twenies and I just love it! It is a great instrumnt for some "speciality" songs. Chicken Reel and Arkansas Traveler and Turkey in the Straw are just awesome on this thing. It doesn't have hardly any sustain at all, but the volume, the volume is, is, well it's just so far up there that you may need ear plugs to play it. It doesn't sound like a mandolin, and it doesn't really sound like a banjo, but it does have a unique and wonderful sound for instrumentals. Don't bother to try to chop on it. It just doesn't work, at least on mine. The hardest part for me is that I can't play up the neck past about the tenth fret. The pot gets in the way, so you'll end up playing almost exlusively in the first position or thereabouts. It's a fun thing to play with, but I wouldn't hold too much hope for a career playing one. Oh yes, one more thing. Make sure that you have a case with it. You may end up paying more for it that you did for the banjolin. They are a little hard to find. Anyone out there got a spare? I'm in the market for one.

mandowannabe
Jun-03-2004, 8:22am
Thanks for the info. G.B.

Jeff_Stallard
Jun-04-2004, 7:00am
Most non-mando musicians I've talked to (not a whole lot) don't like the banjolin. They say it's brash and annoying. I've never heard one myself.

Bowzette
Jun-04-2004, 7:30am
Yep! listen to Jerry Garcia's comments on the Shady Grove CD-"a truly obnoxious instrument"!

Jun-04-2004, 7:38am
"a truly obnoxious instrument"

It's sole purpose was for driving evil spirits, unwelcome guests & soon to be ex wives from the premises.......Anyone that plays one exclusively should be regarded as "truely evil" and a mirror should be fetched to see if they have a reflection.............

Bowzette
Jun-04-2004, 9:59am
As i recall Dale, you are a "recovering" Banjolin owner. Do you find shaving difficult?

Jun-04-2004, 10:22am
I just bought it to run off a dobro player.......it worked! I then sold the hideous thing ASAP....... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

mandowannabe
Jun-04-2004, 10:32am
I guess i had better wear my "garlic garland" when my friend brings this terrible instrument by? I have heard that it is a loud instrument, unlike the banjo mandolin. I have neveer heard one that I know of. G.B.

8ch(pl)
Jun-07-2004, 8:48pm
I find that my mandolin-banjo sounds better with nickle wound strings rather than bronze. I have silk and steel strings on it now and like them, but they don't seem to last too long.

I also rolled up an old woolen sock and stuffed it tight between the skin and the dowel sick(inside the pot)to act as an effective mute. do this with the strings loose, then tune them up.

grsnovi
Jun-07-2004, 8:50pm
Seems there is one in the classifieds here these days.

Hubert Angaiak
Jun-08-2004, 4:54pm
I have a Gibson MB-4 trapdoor and changed the bridge with maple and light strings .08's. I got the setup info from Niles Hokkenen's Mandocrucian's Digest, a setup article by Allen Ede. It really made it sound much much better.