PDA

View Full Version : Who uses their pickguard?

metalmandolin
Oct-16-2007, 9:51pm
I have recently acquired my first Gibson, as I mentioned last week (2000 Daley-signed Fern). The pickguard is still attached, and I have always thought those looked cool! It doesn't get in my way at all, and I'm going to leave it on. I'd like to hear comments as to why you guys use (or don't use) your pickguard. Is there any gain or difference in tone when removed?

JimRichter
Oct-16-2007, 10:05pm
I can't play without a pickguard. Don't plant on it, but do use it as a "reference point." I think the change in tone is marginal.

Jim

Doug Edwards
Oct-16-2007, 10:17pm
Ditto. I find my right hand brushes the top of the pickguard. Without one I'll plant my pinkie, or more. I never could tell a big difference in volume with or without the pg.

evanreilly
Oct-16-2007, 10:30pm
The fellow in the front is using one; the guy behind him left his hat and pickguard home that night.

fredfrank
Oct-16-2007, 10:36pm
I've always taken the pickguard off my mandolins. That is, until I got my Red Diamond. He puts the pickguard a bit lower than the traditional 'level to the fingerboard' position. I notice that Collings also does that. Puts the finger-rest level with the bottom of the fingerboard binding. Now I like playing with it on.

Mike Bunting
Oct-16-2007, 10:37pm
I've never used one, my Givens didn't come with one and neither did my MF5. Don't know if I like it better with nothing to compare with. I don't think about it much.

Big Joe
Oct-16-2007, 10:38pm
I have always preferred a pick guard. My favorite is the abreviated PG from Cumberland Acoustics. It gives the advantage of having a pickguard but does not cover up the front half of the lower F hole. It is easier to play for me and keeps me from tearing the top of my mandolin up as I play. I think it also forces a bit better technique. Just my opinion.

fredfrank
Oct-16-2007, 10:38pm
The fellow in the front is using one; the guy behind him left his hat and pickguard home that night.
From the expression on the hatted fellow's face, he doesn't look that happy about the mandolin he's playing. Or maybe his hat is too tight. Hard to say.

That would take some courage, Evan . . . to stand on stage next to Bill and play mandolin.

evanreilly
Oct-16-2007, 11:05pm
Okay. This is Bill playing Charlie Derrington's mandolin, the day after Bill's two Loar mandolins were subjected to reductionism by fireplace poker attack.
He did not have a pickguard on his #73987 for too long after he first acquired it, tho.

f5loar
Oct-16-2007, 11:21pm
First let's call it what Gibson and Mr. Loar called it a "finger-rest" then you can see what it is suppose to do. A pickguard is what is on a flattop guitar. Because a mandolin has higher strings from the top an elevated finger-rest was patented by Gibson for their mandolins. Another name Gibson used was "guard-plate". I've been through dozen's of Gibson's catalogs over the decades and never found the word "pickguard" only "fingerrest" as one or two words.
See what you learn here! Now that being said I prefer the fingerrest. Looks better too and seems to protect the top from pick damage and fingernail damage aka Monroe/Osborne/Marshall/Bush/Taylor etc. While there does seem to be split on those that do and those that don't I've always felt Gibson should attatch their patented fingerrest to all new mandolins and then allow the customer to remove it if they so wish. Somehow I feel Gibson is cheatin' us out of $100 on those Bush/Lawson/Monroe/Bibey/Stefey/etc models cause they ain't got no fingerrest like the Fern/MM/DMM/Goldush/RSDMM

squirrelabama
Oct-16-2007, 11:26pm
Finger rest it is! I also love the asthetic. I guess I have grown so accustomed to seeing them, that when I see mando's without them, they look as though they're not finished. They also need to match the appointments of the mando...nothing worse than a mis matched pg and mando. Again, I love 'em for the asthetic, and think they have next to zero impact on tone.....listen to Compton...any lack of tone there?? NOT!!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

SMHibbs
Oct-17-2007, 1:56am
I always thought a mandolin, like an archtop guitar, looked naked without it.

Seriously, I wish my blacktop Collings had one. I try not to plant my pinkie, but catch myself doing it, sometimes right in the "f" hole! No big scratches yet, but something is giving that mirror finish some "patina" and a "pickguard" or "finger rest" should prevent that. I tried to get one installed at Gryphon and learned that the only way I could get one was to sent my MT and about $150 back to Collings in Austin so they can do it. I can't live without my MT for several weeks, and I don't want Bill to see that his beautiful finish is getting some honest wear. Not letting Frank Ford install one is pretty compulsive!

Shelby Eicher
Oct-17-2007, 3:49am
What's it for? Looks?

Shelby Eicher
Oct-17-2007, 4:06am
In my opinion they clutter up the instrument. They serve no purpose other than to obstruct the F hole. I prefer not to have one. I've taken more than one off. Personally I don't like truss rod covers that are "mother-of-toilet-seat". They are gaudy and detract from the beauty of the headstock. I like plain black. Of course this is what I like. If you like that kind of stuff you should have it on your mandolin. It's all personal taste. To me, less is definately more when it comes to all of the extra pretty stuff. I'll take a pair of khakis and a blue blazer over bell bottoms and a loud disco shirt any day.

AlanN
Oct-17-2007, 4:43am
I had Charlie Derrington build me one out of a special material after I saw a similar deal on Aubrey Haynie's mandolin. It is small, bound, quality and gorgeous. I do not use it http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

JeffD
Oct-17-2007, 10:57am
In theory I could understand how it might change the sound of an F hole mandolin. But if its original equipment, I would think a good maker would know what he/she is doing and compensate for the pick guard or leave it off.

On ovals I don't think there is any impact. I like the look on my A3.

John Flynn
Oct-17-2007, 11:17am
None of my mandolins have them. One did have one and I removed it. I do like the looks of them and I agree they do not really affect the sound. I do have a personal issue with them that only applies to me, YMMV. When I play a mando that has one, I find myself posting. It took me a long time to break myself of that habit and I don't want to move backwards. Even though it makes sense to use a pickguard as a "reference" as some people report, I don't find that I really need a reference. I know where the strings are!

Brady Smith
Oct-17-2007, 11:22am
I wouldn't know what to do with one if I had one. They are nice to look at but I'd think it would only get in the way.

JGWoods
Oct-17-2007, 11:28am
Like Fred said above- I had Rigel mount my finger rest a little lower than their normal position and I find it never gets in the way, also provides a place to plant on occasions, and contributes to the overall look in a way I like.

jfbrown42
Oct-17-2007, 11:29am
I learned on a Rouge RM-100 A-style that had one, my current Eastman MD-605 doesn't have one. It's a bit disconcerting (having to reach down to the body to plant my pinky) but I guess I'll get used to it.

To each his own, I say.

Paul Kotapish
Oct-17-2007, 11:30am
I also prefer the look of no pickguard, and for many years played without one. In the past decade or so I have been using a simple, abbreviated, unbound pickguard that kind of disappears visually on the instrument. I find it easier to play with the "finger-rest," and it has the added advantage of providing some protection to the top. I don't think the pick has ever been an issue in terms of scratching, but my pinky tends to brush against the top when I pick, and over the years that can add some wear and tear.

On my guitars--when I have a choice--I prefer a clear plastic scratchplate that extends a little closer to the bridge than a conventional pickguard.

Just one guy's opinion.

AlanN
Oct-17-2007, 11:34am
Seems most Loar and vintage F-5 owners have it on these days. I guess it 'completes' the package, certainly in the sale process. Monroe didn't, Grisman's old fern rarely had it pictured with it on.

I always felt it was a piece of hardware that just made the mandolin heavier. I may go back to it, I may not. No matter to me.

Mike Crater
Oct-17-2007, 11:01pm
I had my luthier(Jim Hyatt at the 5th String in Berkeley) make a small one for my F-9. It was never out of service except for 5 hours or so to let the french polish dry. I use it as a reference point for hand position by dragging my ring and pinky fingers across it. To my ears, it improves the sound by adding more wood to vibrate. I like it and don't know why I've taken them off other mandolins I've owned.

EdSherry
Oct-17-2007, 11:32pm
When I bought my Flatiron F-5 (no pickguard) from Mandolin Brothers back in 1984, I had them have John Monteleone install an aftermarket small pickguard on it, held on with pins into the side of the neck (no other hardware).

I find it very useful as a "depth gauge" for my hand positioning. And it protects the top from pinky planting and other nasty events. I can't see how it adversely affects the sound.

For flat-topped instruments without pickguards, I always have my luthier install a clear plastic pickguard to protect the top.

Soupy1957
Oct-18-2007, 5:25am
I've tried playing both with and without the pick guard, and I like not having one. (Besides, I think it looks better without one, personally).

-Soupy

jimbob
Oct-18-2007, 3:27pm
I have mandos without the finger rest. I suppose they were built without it because Mr. Monroe's did not have a finger rest. I also have one little A5 with a finger rest. I actually like the finder rest once I get used to it. I don't think it effects the tone or volume at all. #I sort of wish my other mandos had a finger rest. I guess they wouldn't be "cool like Bill's" then, though. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Steve Ostrander
Oct-19-2007, 10:28am
Neither of my mandos has a pickguard and I wish they did, maybe because my first Pac Rim learner had one. I use it more as a reference point than a finger rest because I don't anchor my finger. I also like the "classic" look of P-guards.

Both of my mandos are showing some wear, not from picking but from fingernails, and I keep them trimmed. I suppose I could have rests put on, but I guess I'm getting used to picking "commando".

tterral
Oct-19-2007, 12:27pm
I personally like the finger rest, since it helps me have a "depth gauge", as was mentioned previously. My old mandolin did not have one and I had a tendency to plant the pinky. Now no more pinky planting. My current mandolin has an abbreviated finger rest and does not cover up any of the 'F' hole, so no effect on the tone or projection. Mine is actually bound and looks great, not gaudy and certainly does not detract from the appearance or "clutter up" the look of the instrument (I am not a fan of heavy ornamentation either). To each his own, if it works for you great, if not that's cool too. More than one way to skin a cat, as it were.