PDA

View Full Version : Completed my first Marathon!

chirorehab
Jun-01-2004, 3:51pm
Sorry for the lack of mando content, but since I spend more time here than anywhere else, I figured that I would share my good news with everyone!

I completed the Vermont City Marathon Sunday in Berlington VT. What a beautiful race!

It was my first marathon and I actually did a lot better than I thought I would!

I just wanted to thank everyone for the support & advice I have received over the past few months! Also, I would like to especially thank the Mandolin Project crew as well!

Thanks again!

Eric Nelson

Ken Berner
Jun-01-2004, 4:56pm
CONGRATULATIONS, Eric! I can't tell you how much confidence that first one gave me. That accomplishment alone, will help you cope with other struggles facing you in your lifetime. Trust me, you have done yourself a great service in completing that race. Those who do not participate in long distance running are missing out on a great opportunity to test themselves and to realize their limits; no other physical exercise seems to compare. I've had bike riders argue, but YCDBSOYA (you can't do business sitting on your @$$). Nice going!

pickinNgrinnin
Jun-01-2004, 8:10pm
[QUOTE]
YCDBSOYA (you can't do business sitting on your @$$)

You might want to ask Lance Armstrong about that one http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Well done Eric!

sandcastlefaith
Jun-02-2004, 4:41am
Congratulations, it's great to hear about another runner/mandolin player like myself. My stepdad and Mom just ran the Buffalo marathon last weekend. They also ran Cleveland this spring, where my mom qualified for Boston for the first time. I have not yet attempted the marathon distance, I stay to half marathons and under. I also run track at my high school. A marathon is an incredible accomplishment, and you should be very proud of yourself. You are now one of the approximately 2% of Americans that have run the distance. Conagratulations, and keep on truckin'.

Nate

sandcastlefaith
Jun-02-2004, 4:42am
Forgot to ask, what was your time?

ethanopia
Jun-02-2004, 5:58am
Wow way to go Eric that is amazing. I actually just ran my first 5k since high school two weeks ago, and I felt pretty good about it. I've been running 3 times a week for about 12 weeks now and it feels great. I hope someday I can do a marathon. but right now my goal is to be able to run a 5k with my buddy that finished this last one in 22 min. Running really leaves me feeling great the rest of the day, I'd forgotten how great it really is http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

chirorehab
Jun-02-2004, 6:53am
Thanks everyone!

Running has been a great addition to my life... It's a great opportunity to think & really come up with ideas and plans to carry them out! It has really added some extra focus to my life and my mandolin playing!

As for my time.... My training didn't go a smooth as I was hoping! I had a lot of injuries (minor) so I decided to slow down -a lot! In fact, I stopped wearing a watch when training.

I had estimated that I was doing about 12 minute miles during training.. SO I figured it would take me about 5 hours or so..

However! During the race their were some time clocks throughout the course.. The first clock was at 3 miles, it said 25 minutes! I was doing sub 9 minute miles! I guess running with other people fires you up!

At about 20 miles I was still doing under 10 minute miles... At about 22 miles my knee started to hurt.. So I slowed down a bit.

I ended with the time of 4 hours 25 minutes! A pace of 10.07 minutes per mile! Way better than I thought I would do!

There were people lined up throughout the course.. They provided great support - it was truly amazing! The people of Burlington, VT are awesome!

The experience was incredible & the course was beautiful!

To you guys doing 5k's - keep it up! I truly believe that once you increase your long runs to 10 miles you can do any distance - provided you stay hydrated...

I am looking forward to training for the Philadelphia Marathon in Novemeber - this time I hope to work on my time - provided I can stay injury free!

Thanks again,

Eric

Harrmob
Jun-02-2004, 7:35am
I think you all are crazy. In trying to get in shape I ran early Monday morning (Ken Berner- from Pelican Point to Mullet Point) and my entire body still hurts. I did not think it was that far and it turned out to be just over 5 miles. I could'nt pick for at least 2 hours after that (mando content). You marathon runners must have some special powers, and good knees.

More power to you, that is an awesome accomplishment.

Ken Berner
Jun-02-2004, 8:29am
pickinNgrinnin, I'm not knocking anyone who is into aerobic/anaerobic activity, much less Lance Armstrong. I am speaking of the general population of this Country in particular. Mr. Armstrong is an exceptional individual, in a class by himself, without question!

Kevin, You did good, Laddie, but may have bitten off too much to start with. There are a few good ways to build up distance without too much pain! Let's chat.

keymandoguy
Jun-02-2004, 9:06am
I know thats a great accomplishment but Where is the mandolin content on this thread?

Harrmob
Jun-02-2004, 9:53am
RUNNING IS A GREAT TIME/PLACE TO THINK ABOUT MANDOLINS.

an actual thought from Monday's run: (GMAJ7 is the actual 7th (not flattened 7th), but a G9 is actually a GMAJ7+the 2 note, which can be the 5th chord of the C chord scale. Since I would be playing the chord scale of the key of C, and including the A note as part of the G9, a great lick would be to run the Am scale resolving with the A note on the G9 chord since it is the 2 note of the G scale. I'll have to try that when I get home from this run.)

HDSJR
Jun-02-2004, 12:44pm
Kevin,
You shouldn't think about stuff like that when you run. If you do, you'll hurt all over and you won't be able to pick for at least two hours afterwards.

chirorehab
Jun-02-2004, 1:49pm
Keymandoguy,

As I said earlier, I wanted to thank this community for the advice & support they have given me over the past few months.

Also, although I don't know many people here personally, I feel like we are part of a family and since this was one of the most incredible things that I have done in my life, I thought I would share it with people that mean a lot to me!

This is how I feel - I am sorry to waste bandwidth!

Thanks,

Eric

twaaang
Jun-02-2004, 2:27pm
Let me add my congrats, I have run the Burlington several times (including the very first one) but had to sit this one out. However on Sunday I was at about the 26-mile marker rooting for some friends and hope I managed to give you a boost when you went by.

Mando relevance: when I get into my "zone" on a long run, I always have some music set up on my mental turntable (never understood why people would run with those headsets unless they are listening to motivational tapes or something: don't they KNOW any music?). The right tune can fit your running rhythm and help carry you a surprisingly long way. Any number of times I've worked out, on a back road, some fingering problem or chord change that I've been struggling with at home. Fretboard visualization is a great alternative to a lot of the negative things there are to dwell on out there.

So I'm glad you started this thread. One Zen contributes to another! -- PDW

chirorehab
Jun-02-2004, 4:57pm
twaaang,

Thanks for your boost! I am sure you helped me out! That last mile was incredible! All the people cheering, I had tears in my eyes! I kid you not!

The people of Burlington are awesome, the support was amazing!

I wish I would have known you were there!

& yes Fretboard visualization definately helped me that day!

I don't understand how some people could Carry their discman the whole race!

Thanks,

Eric

mmukav
Jun-02-2004, 5:04pm
So, did you have the mandolin with you when you ran? Did you play it as you ran? Just wondering............

chirorehab
Jun-02-2004, 5:30pm
While the mandolin was with me, I left it at the hotel!

I did see some fiddle players on the side of the road during the run! I also saw a tenor banjo player... No mandolin though!

Eric

Steve S.
Jun-03-2004, 10:34am
The problem with running and the mandolin.....after a run you shower and afterwards with a good endorphin buzz you reach for the mando, but your fingers are all mushy soft from the shower.