PDA

View Full Version : Youtube mandolin

sean
Oct-12-2007, 10:08am
This mandolin has the best sustain I've ever heard,anybody got an idea of what it is ;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQMs8f-71N4

Fred Keller
Oct-12-2007, 10:10am
Jim Richter's a regular here at the Cafe so I'm sure he'll chime in sooner or later. IIRC he has a Kimble but I don't know if that's what he's playing.

bradeinhorn
Oct-12-2007, 10:11am
kimble

bradeinhorn
Oct-12-2007, 10:11am
beat by under a minute! it is for sure the kimble he is playing

Kevin Briggs
Oct-12-2007, 10:51am
Look, I played a few Kimbles at IBMA and holy mackeral! Those mandolins are second to none. I was thoroughly impressed. If I was in the market, he would be right near the top of the list. i can't say enoguh about how impressive his mandos were.

JimRichter
Oct-12-2007, 6:26pm
If it's the either the F5 or the blonde A5, they're some of Will's. Alas, after 3 Kimbles, I currently don't own any. Traded that A5 for a Fern era F2. Decided to switch to an oval hole and Will doesn't make them anymore.

By the way, in my opinion, Will is making one of the absolutely best F5s out there. He was over at the house this week to practice for a gig we're doing next week in Cincinnati (at Latitudes on Beechmont, Thurs. 10/18 as part of Scott Carnder's Progressive Folk Festival) and playing a recent F5 of his. My gosh, Will has come so far in 7 years. It made me want to switch back to an F5 right there and then. A truly remarkable instrument.

Jim

Joe Dodson
Oct-19-2007, 10:27pm
That was some incredible picking Jim. Wow.

Fretbear
Oct-23-2007, 1:43am
Your F-2 doesn't sound too shabby either, Jim. I like what you are doing with it, infusing it's bright, ringing nature with a darker spirit. Monroe-Style on oval-hole is a field with lots of room for exploration. Thanks for "Pilgrim's Knob".