PDA

View Full Version : New brian dean mandolin

Eric F.
Oct-11-2007, 12:28pm
Brian Dean posted a couple of pictures of the mandolin he made for me along with a sound clip
in this thread (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=47182)but now that I've had it for a couple of weeks, I feel capable of giving a brief review.

I was after a haunting, ethereal sound. I don't know if that's what the best ancient instruments sounded like, but it's what I imagine them sounding like. I wanted something that begged to be played in a minor key or haunting mode.

That's exactly what Brian delivered. This mandolin, which Brian calls a "cytole," has a deep, semi-bowl body with a back made of walnut and an unusual bracing system that he has described elsewhere and I won't take a stab at explaining.

The bass is deep and dark, the trebles sparkle just right and the mids have an almost percussive pop to them. Playability is as good as it gets. It's very comfortable. I tend to lose myself while playing this instrument. I start with a tune and 10 minutes later I realize I've just kept going off into the foggy beyond.

I've been so busy that I did not get a chance to really fall for this instrument until the past couple of days. I can pinpoint the moment it happened, actually. I was playing "The Morris Dance" and suddenly realized, "I absolutely love this mandolin."

Any kind of ballad or air sounds lovely on this mandolin, but it's right there with the perkier tunes as well. It sounds great strummed, and doublestops are as rich and clear as I can make them with my modest skills.

Brian's photography is wonderful, but I think it almost makes this instrument look too pretty. That's not a criticism of the instrument! It is beautiful, but in a low-key, rustic sort of way. That, also, is what I was hoping for. I told Brian it was a walk in the autumn woods rather than a stroll down a city street.

Brian was great to work with. He was enthusiastic about the project and was great about communicating with me during the building. We had a telephone conversation just before he began building and he sent me frequent e-mail updates and photos. I would recommend him to anyone who wants something lovely and different.

I ended up with an heirloom-quality instrument that I love to play, that perfectly suits the music I am increasingly drawn to and that looks great to boot.

Eric F.
Oct-11-2007, 12:29pm
The back:

Eric F.
Oct-11-2007, 12:30pm
Resting comfortably:

billhay4
Oct-11-2007, 12:37pm
Lovely instrument as all of Brian's are. I'm glad you're enjoying it.
Bill

dan@kins
Oct-11-2007, 12:49pm
Congratulations! A beautiful mandolin. I love Brian's work.

JHo
Oct-11-2007, 12:51pm
That is lovely. I'd never seen his work before, but I'm now officially impressed.

stevem
Oct-11-2007, 1:13pm
Congrats Eric. It looks fantastic! I loved the sound clips too (from the other thread.) I think he nailed the "haunting, ethereal" vibe.

otterly2k
Oct-11-2007, 1:25pm
Thanks for the detailed review, Eric. And welcome to the fold of happy players of Brian's creations! He is a true artisan. My experiences with him were similar, and I only wish I had the scratch to commission another instrument! (I dream of his F4's)

I have been wondering about the semi-bowl... knowing that I have found bowlbacks awkward to hold and play. Do you play with it sitting in your lap? Do you use a strap? What's it like physically?

Mike Buesseler
Oct-11-2007, 1:26pm
I've been thinking of asking Brian who bought that instrument to find out how he/she liked it so far. Your review is GREAT, Eric. Answers exactly the questions I had. That thing knocks me out in so many ways....if you look at Brian's "to do" list on his website, you'll see me down around April, right after Jamie's Stanek's L & H repro. Now I'm getting really excited. Time to send the Kid (he's a kid to me http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif) a check, I guess....

Eric F.
Oct-11-2007, 1:51pm
Thanks, all.

Karen, I dream of his F4's too. Your experience with Brian, as you know, helped me decide to go with him and with this instrument.

The deep back took a little getting used to. I use a strap and frequently sit, though I tend to wander through the house playing these days as well. When I sit, it does shift around a bit on me as I play, but I'm less and less aware of it. It's not uncomfortable. I don't put it on my lap, really. I position it pretty much the way I would any other mandolin.

Mike, I think you're going to be very happy.

One more note on the looks and finish. What I meant by Brian's photos make it look almost too pretty was that up close and in person, this mandolin looks old. Not "distressed," but like a very nicely preserved example of a centuries-old instrument. That's the look Brian was going for, and he nailed it.

otterly2k
Oct-11-2007, 1:58pm
I think that's b/c he uses centuries-old methods... that and he's very good at what he does.

Mike Buesseler
Oct-11-2007, 4:48pm
Hey, Eric, another question....I've noticed (and commented here) that my Vega CB doesn't seem to lose significant volume or tone when held against my body (in other words, no need for a Tone Gard). I'm guessing the semi-bowl shape works like that, too?? If so, must be the arch of the back, or something? What are your thoughts? (MAN, I like your mandolin! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif )

JEStanek
Oct-11-2007, 5:15pm
Eric,
That mandolin looks wonderful. I do like what Brian's doing with the instrument. Some of the bowl players use a chamois cloth in their laps to keep their bowls more stable... That may help. I'm so excited to being close on Brian's list. If my walnut back is as pretty I'll be equally stoked! Your review was great.

Jamie

MLT
Oct-11-2007, 8:40pm
What a wonderful instrument. I believe it was because of Eric's new mandolin that I first looked up Brian. Brian had posted a sound clip back in late August (sorry I can't find the clip). I went to his site and that was it.

I am on the Brian's "To Do" list for July '08 and I can't wait until the fun begins.

Michael

Eric F.
Oct-12-2007, 2:56pm
MikeB, it's a plenty loud instrument, and I notice no drop-off when I hold it close - but the design of the back keeps it from from laying more or less flat against me. I doubt you'd want a Tone-Gard, but if you did, you'd definitely need a custom one.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the mandolins you folks on Brian's list get.