PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Gibson C 1 Mando 1932 ?

atetone
May-31-2004, 4:56pm
This one has me stumped. Hopefully one or more of you knowledgable members can throw some light on this for me.

My brother has located what the owner says is a 1932 Gibson
C-1 flatop oval hole mandolin, with mahogany back and sides, painted-on pickguard, clamshell tailpiece, bound top, unbound back, ebony fingerboard, silkscreened logo, with natural finish top.
The present owner has had it in the family for 40 years.
He says that a guy who "really knows about mandolins" had a bunch of old Gibson catalogues and showed him this mandolin in the catalogue and this is where he got the description.
Also supposedly the 1932 catalogue was the only one that this particular style of mando showed up in.
Does anyone have any idea what this is??
He is looking to sell it but it is a long way away and my brother doesn't know anything about even where to start as far as mandos go so any help that I can get in identifying it would be greatly appreciated.
Just to make it a bit harder, I do not have a picture or any way of getting one at the moment.
Oh,,, the only number in it is 129 in ink. Whatever that might refer to??

johnnymando
May-31-2004, 5:16pm
That model was a depression-era mandolin with a flat top,not sure it they had a truss rod or not,but they did have a surface mounted pickguard.Never heard or played one,can't imagine they sound too good.I've seen them sell on ebay for $500-$800 depending on condition.Also the Kalamazoos(gibsons lower priced cousin)for $300-$500.
Gotta believe you can do better with a carved top mandolin.

Jim Garber
May-31-2004, 5:17pm
vintageinstruments.com had one some time ago, but I don't think it is on the site right now. Image is attached.

I think this was sort of like a later Army-Navy with a natural spruce top. Very cool!

Jim

Spruce
May-31-2004, 5:22pm
There's one for sale here (http://www.vintageguitar.com/classifieds/details.asp?cat=Mandolins_and_Ukuleles&looktype=category&VM=m) with a pic, and also one here (http://www.freedomguitar.com/products_folk.php?UID=2004053117331964.119.2.3)...

Jim Garber
May-31-2004, 6:01pm
Interesting, Spruce, that one has a squared-off headstock. It is strange that even George Gruhn does not mention this one in his updated Guide to Vintage Guitars.

Jim

atetone
Jun-01-2004, 8:02am
Well I guess I came to the right place. Thanks for all the info folks.
Much appreciated.