PDA

View Full Version : New player looking to upgrade mandolin

Steelee
Oct-03-2007, 8:42am
Longtime bluegrass listener who decided to learn the mandolin at age 58. I have been playing for 9 months with an entry level Johnson Savanah F from the internet. I did not want to make a major investment as I was not sure if I would like it, or could do it. I found that I like it very much. I have up to $2,000 to upgrade to a used or new F style. At this point in my playing, would it be wise to move up half way to the $1,000 level (new or used), or something in the $2,000 range (new or used)? Your thoughts and help, please.

MikeEdgerton
Oct-03-2007, 8:52am
A used Gibson F9 or a used Montana or Nashville Flatiron would be my choice. I'd also take a look at used Gibson and Flatiron A styles. I know that's a hard place to go but you can get a lot of mandolin for 2 grand if you go with an A.

Kevin Briggs
Oct-03-2007, 9:01am
You have lots of options in the $2,000 range.

You should scour the Classifieds here, and contact someone like Dennis at www.themandolinstore.com. I recommend an A style. Also, my prefernce is this company, with which Dennis works very closely: www.soundtoearth.com.

A good independent lthier can also be had for $2,000, and it's a great way to support the mandolin community.

Lee
Oct-03-2007, 11:46am
I'd say go used. Take a new mandoin off the showroom floor and you'll take a good 20% hit on re-sale. Though if you trust your next purchase will be your last, then go new.
In any case, try out as many as possible so you know what features and tone strike your fancy.

earthsave
Oct-03-2007, 11:51am
A decent used F should be able to be found in the price range. Or a very nice used A style.

Take your time, keep your eyes open, and keep playing with your Johnson.:p

Walter Newton
Oct-03-2007, 12:04pm
If you decide to go for the $1000 price point and you go for a quality used A stlye (Flatiron, Gibson, Weber etc) you can probably sell it down the road for about what you paid for it, should you decide to upgrade again. Collings MTs (A-style) are widely considered one of the best values out there - a used one can be had for less than $2000, new ones a little over. The Mandolin Store is great to deal with, they also have sound clips on their website now.

jimbob
Oct-03-2007, 12:36pm
I'd buy the most mandolin you can afford rather than graduating up. I also wanted an F and bought 4 of them before purchasing my first A. I now have two of each and my Gibson A5 is the best all around mando I have. You can find a good used A5 for around $ 2k if you shop.

Philip Halcomb
Oct-03-2007, 2:24pm
Check Ithaca Guitar Works http://www.guitarworks.com , they have an outstanding F9 there for sale. I'm not sure of the price but it might fall within your budget give or take a few bucks. I have no financial interest in the instrument, but it does sound really great and it's pretty too.

Perry
Oct-03-2007, 2:38pm
I'd skip the 1k mark and go right for the 2k threshhold.

I sold a great sounding Collings MT-2H on the Cafe here
several months back for well under 2k; which was a substantial discount from the new price. Mine was cosmetically beat but sounded great. So good deals can be had right here on the classifieds.

It's a buyers market for used Collings IMHO because there are so many of them around.

I would stick with an A model and skip the scroll. You are going to get much more tone for the money.

Personally I like A models; they look great. (but I do have an F too so maybe that's not fair)

Also keep in mind that you will be selling your next mando to fund the 5k purchase that is down the road http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

ab4usa
Oct-03-2007, 2:47pm
Lee,

I was a young lad of 52 when I took it up 5 years ago. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks! I have to agree with many of the posters here that $2K will buy you a really, really good American made A5. When I upgraded after the first year, I bought an A5 Old Wave and it's a wonderful axe. Yes, I know it doesn't have a scroll, and to be honest, my next one will. But the next one will be close to $5K. Good hunting.

Steelee
Oct-06-2007, 5:01pm
Thanks to all who replied to my post. As a new player, it is very helpful to get some advice from those who are further along the path.

Regards,

Lee Oliver

jfbrown42
Oct-06-2007, 6:12pm
I have an Eastman A Model 605 (F-hole) Mando on order. It's scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday. I can't wait!