PDA

View Full Version : Recorder recommendations

B. T. Walker
Sep-29-2007, 1:21pm
California's loss is Texas's gain since Rich DelGrosso moved to Houston, and I'm taking advantage. Lessons with Rich start next Saturday. On his list of "school supplies" is a recorder -- time for a serious upgrade.

Shoot, I haven't recorded anything since high school thirty years ago, so I'm betting the technology has changed. Any recommendations for something portable, easy to use, and not likely to become obsolete in the next decade? Your shared knowledge is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

bradeinhorn
Sep-29-2007, 1:24pm
i don't know about not likely to become obselete, but you may try the zoom h-2. sounds like a good option for what you need.

Walter Newton
Sep-29-2007, 5:24pm
A Zoom H2 should do a great job...if $200 is more than you want to spend, though, you can also look into a digital voice recorder like this one (http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-VN2100PC-Digital-Voice-Recorder/dp/B000I3C6CE) for about $40. #I think of mine as the modern version of a handheld cassette recorder; it doesn't have nearly the features, sound quality etc. of something like the H2, but for the relatively simple task of recording lessons for later review I think it gets the job done at a low price.

B. T. Walker
Sep-29-2007, 7:35pm
I looked at some past posts on this, and decided to go with a Zoom H2. Jeez, it's got so many features it practically wipes your mandolin. Thanks for the input.

Fred Keller
Sep-30-2007, 8:33am
$70 gets you a Belkin Tune Talk. It's about 1 x 2 inches. If you already have an iPod, this is a great device. Clips right on, records at the touch of a button, and picks up sound clearly even from 20 feet away. I've used it at lessons and jams since last May and have been quite impressed with it.