PDA

View Full Version : Gibson a9

diptanshu
Sep-24-2007, 12:09am
is gibson A9 a good bluegrass mandolin? how is eastman as a company? if sound is the only consideration would u suggest me to go for something cheaper like eastman or MK or kentucky. my budget us max 2000 dollars. lesser the better. suggest me something please
thanks http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

swampstomper
Sep-24-2007, 1:11am
Did you do a search through the previous posts? All these issues have been discussed in mind-numbing detail in the recent past.

Rick Cadger
Sep-24-2007, 3:29am
anyway...

A9s are good bluegrass axes, just not particularly fancy or pretty. they sound fine.

Eastman as a company? well established. their mandolins are great for the price - especially the cheaper models. at the high end, however, they compete with instruments that begin to outclass them.

every Michael Kelly I've tried (only 3, and none recent) has been weak. i wouldn't consider buying one. YMMV.

current Kentuckys seem good. the KM-1000 is a very nice mandolin indeed. tight to begin with, but i am told they should open up nicely.

J Bovier mandolins are a good alternative to the entry level Eastman models.

if i had the money i'd probably go for the A9, otherwise you should be fine with Eastman, Bovier or one of the higher end Kentuckys, so long as you try before buying, or get a cooling-off period during which you can return any mando that doesn't suit. as i said, personally i wouldn't go MK, but some like them.

diptanshu
Sep-24-2007, 3:52am
thank you thank you thank you... the problem is i cant try it before buying becoz i am located faraway from the good old kentucky. i live in india. this was really helpful...

swampstomper
Sep-24-2007, 5:41am
Hey, Diptanshu, I am just today back from two weeks business trip in India (with my Medeiros travel mando), too bad we couldn't get together. I didn't realize there was any BG music being played there! What's the scene? (I am travelling there again same time next year).

Lane Pryce
Sep-24-2007, 8:18am
Hello Dip ----- The A9 is the way to go. A decent setup and you will be ready for some serious picking. Look for a used one one in the classifieds. Correspond with the seller and maybe they will agree to ship to India. Best of luck in your search. Lp

Jim Hilburn
Sep-24-2007, 8:50am
While listening to the mandolin contest in Winfield I remember one guy playing an A9 that I thought sounded wonderful.

Nathan Sanders
Sep-24-2007, 9:02am
I have an A-9 and even listed it in the classifieds lately, but I pulled the ad after about a week. I would still consider selling it. It is a great mandolin. I have used it a few times with my bluegrass band and it does just fine, even blowing out the banjo some.

Dip, if you are interested, let me know. I would consider it seriously, even shipping to India if the price is right.

diptanshu
Sep-24-2007, 9:04am
thanks guys, you guys are really helpful....:)

8ch(pl)
Sep-28-2007, 9:40am
I played an A9 that had a replacement Bone nut, it was one of the nicest sounding mandolins that I have played.

KennyR
Sep-28-2007, 10:12am
I play a A9. The guy I bought it from claims the setup was by the Nashville Gibson store. Regardless, it sounds fantastic! It actually cured me of my MAS. I’ll still dream about those >$5,000 beauties, but I’ll be playing that A9 forever.

Landgrass
Sep-28-2007, 3:02pm
Gotta echo Kenny and Glen.....My A9 just got a bone nut and a good set-up and sounds fantastic. All the axe 'll ever need.

goose 2
Sep-28-2007, 11:29pm
I have a killer Distressed Master Model and one of my picking buddies has and A-9. I love swapping mandolins with him. His is a great one and could be played professionally.

Bernie Daniel
Sep-29-2007, 12:03pm
My A9 can hold its own against any of my other mandolins -- and if you include cost - i.e., sound for the dollar (rupee in your case!) the A9 is the star of the house. #Wonderful little mandolin. #Get one you will not regret it.

steelbuddha
Sep-29-2007, 12:21pm
I actually have my A-9 on eBay right now. Only selling it to remain solvent after the purchase of a Weber. She's a screamer.

MandoBen
Sep-29-2007, 1:25pm
I have never seen a bad sounding A9 at any jam, music store, etc. The necks are almost always slightly big and beefy which I like, loud and clear, good chop, and relatively even across the board and up the neck. The other mando I have always been impressed with in your price range is the Collings MT. Collings is the closest you will come to a custom built mandolin from a big(?) company. The detail of the fit and finish is superb, sound a playability is perfect for bluegrass. I also like the larger frets on the radiused fingerboard, very comfortable and easy to play.
As for MK and Kentucky, all I can say is, "Stay away!" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

kjskipper
Sep-29-2007, 8:38pm
I really, REALLY like my MT. #It's an instrument that could last you forever. #Here's one in the used classifieds for $1750.00 (http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=25166&query=retrieval)

I got mine from browsing the classifieds here; I'm very pleased

Greenmando
Sep-29-2007, 8:52pm
,,,A9s are good bluegrass axes, just not particularly fancy or pretty. they sound fine.,,
I think mine is fancy and pretty # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/ferretkona/Mandolins/Gibson004.jpg

Phil Goodson
Sep-30-2007, 5:03pm
touché

jim simpson
Sep-30-2007, 8:31pm
I really liked the A9 that I had for a while. It wasn't getting the playing time that the other two I owned were so I used it to trade against a Gibson Southern Jumbo guitar (which is just fab!). At least I stayed in the Gibson family.

Fred G
Sep-30-2007, 9:08pm
I love my A9, it has a top that just wants to explode! I will never sell it.

Mikey G
Sep-30-2007, 9:59pm
I told myself I'd never sell a couple of my favorite mandolins, but now they're gone. MAS works in strange ways.