PDA

View Full Version : Paris swing or washburn m-4sw

dogjaw
Sep-23-2007, 9:00am
I've played banjo and guitar for 15 years, recently became obsessed with a mandolin; played a Weber Hyalite that I really liked the open sound of, but out of my price range. There are two mandolins locally that have a similar sound, at least to my ear, the Washburn w/round soundhole, used 94 model, great shape, for $450, and a new Paris Swing w/f holes for $550. Thanks in advance for your input...

Paul Hostetter
Oct-10-2007, 10:56am
Don't expect a brand to be consistent from one specimen to another. Judge by results, which means getting one in your hands and seeing how it feels. Most of the Paris Swing f-hole models I've handled were quite nice for the price, but don't take my word for anything - get a mandolin in your hands that speaks to you.

JeffD
Oct-10-2007, 10:59am
recently became obsessed with a mandolin
Ain't it great!

John Flynn
Oct-10-2007, 5:37pm
Whichever one you like the best is the right choice for you. Really. Of the two brands, I don't think either one stands above the other for overall quality, etc. If it were me, between the two you mentioned, no question I would get the Washburn. I don't personally care for the Paris Swing designs, but that's just me. However, if I had up to $550 to spend, I would get online and find other choices. I might still circle back to the Washburn, but I might not.

sausgirl
Oct-13-2007, 3:07pm
Well if I had $550.00 I would get the Paris Swing F hole.
Nuff said,
Jan

Alex of the North
Oct-13-2007, 3:48pm
You might be able to find an Eastman 504 for about that price too. I recently bought a 604 for a little more and am completely ecstatic about it.

cooper4205
Oct-13-2007, 6:21pm
You might just want to keep your eyes peeled for a used Hyalite -- I have seen quite a few for sale in good shape priced in the $600-$700 range.

red7flag
Oct-15-2007, 9:01am
I would go for an Eastman 505 and pay the extra to have Steve Perry Mandovoodoo it.
Tony

jimbob
Oct-17-2007, 3:27pm
I had a Washburn for a while...not bad for an import. I would buy used so you can get your money back when you trade up. You ought to be able to pick up a good Washburn for $ 450-$ 500 in the used market.