PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice about buying a fixer-upper.

jumpyroo
Sep-22-2007, 8:58pm
I was in a music store today and discovered the singular most beautiful mandolin I have ever seen... Again, sorta. It's VERY beat-up looking right now, but it will be absolutely BEAUTIFUL if it's fixed up.

It is a bowlback mandolin that was made by a John Brandt, on whom I can find no information. The date on it says March 23, '98, meaning 1898. The back has 40 ribs, all intact and uncracked, though a little scuffed (the store is the most haphazard music store you can imagine). The neck and head are one solid piece, and the head has a scroll like a violin. The tuners are an inlaid brass (?) thing that's really nice, and the tuner buttony things are mother of pearl. The top is spruce, with real tortoise shell on it. There's mother of pearl around the sound hole and around the edges of the top. Around the edge, there is also a thin strip of tortoise shell, and then alternating pieces of ebony and mother of pearl. The fret board is NOT ebony, but more mother of pearl, and it's pure white. The frets themselves are made of high grade silver. The real kicker on the mandolin (for me) is that the head, neck, and back are all brazilian rosewood, and really pretty...

Obviously, there must be a downside to the pretty mandolin... There is no tailpiece, bridge, or nut. There is a crack on the top that goes from the soundhole all the way down the top. The top has come loose, and most of the inlay around the bottom has bee lost entirely. The tortoise shell is cracked and popping up a little, and some of the inlay on the top is missing (though most is still there). The frets have been filed down to within an inch of their life, and four of the pieces of MOP from the fretboard are missing. The head, neck, and back are completely fault free as far as I can tell...

I can buy the mandolin as is for $120, and the estimate of repairman at the shop is between $200 and $300, depending on what he has lying around and what he needs to special order for me. So, should I get it or not?

Eugene
Sep-22-2007, 11:05pm
I love Brandt mandolins. #Here's a more entry-level piece I owned some time ago:

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/uploads/post-15-43717-top1.jpg

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/uploads/post-15-43785-back.jpg

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/uploads/post-15-43981-scroll.jpg

Not too common, but they aren't that uncommon either. #Even though it sounds to be a nice, relatively high-end piece, it frankly sounds to need more work than I'd want to put into such a thing. #Brazilian rosewood is common to bowls of that golden era, even relatively cheap ones. #Rosewood necks aren't unheard of but certainly aren't common; Brandt was more likely to make their necks of maple, although they often stained it. #I suspect the tortoise is actually celluloid, which is more prone to "popping up" in old age than real shell. #Personally, I think edging in alternating lozenges of ebony and pearl is more effort than it's worth and prefer more traditional binding. #I suspect the frets are more nickel than silver.

Bob A
Sep-22-2007, 11:35pm
If there were some sentimental value, like it was your grasndfather's mandolin, I'd say go ahead and sink some bucks into it. But it sounds like it needs serious work, and you must keep in mind that very few US luthiers have worked on bowlbacks. There's stuff that can go wrong that is really tough to put right.

I really like bowlbacks, myself, and have bought my share of dogs and fixer-uppers, but personally I'd give it a miss. Of course, you're in the best position to judge for yourself.

If you do get it, or perhaps another, keep in mind that extra-light strings are necessary if you don't want to destroy the neck joint and maybe worse. GHS classicals are available, as are pricier imported strings.

Jim Garber
Sep-23-2007, 1:27pm
I didn't realize that you had posted twice on this topic but I am posting here.

As another founding member of the Loyal Order of the Bowl I heartily welcome you. Even if you don't buy this one you are probably going to get one someday.

I think that bowlbacks require a sort of mando-paradigm shift. You can't assume they will sound like and F5 or even an A model Gibson. Still the sonic aesthetic is worth the trip.

The poster on the other thread mentioned that bowlbacks have tuning problems but I don't find that any more than any other mandolins do.

I have the attached fancy Brandt in my files. The one you are considering may resemble this one.

As to fixing it up and sinking the money into it. Assuming your luthier is up to the task just be aware of the fact that, assuming you are in North America, you may or may not recoup the value if you were to sell it.