PDA

View Full Version : Merle haggard's new release - bluegrass sessions

brewhead
Sep-19-2007, 5:16pm
In a career spanning more than 40 years, country music legend MERLE HAGGARD has found a new direction to explore with THE BLUEGRASS SESSIONS release, in stores OCT 2nd. HAGGARD's first-ever foray into bluegrass - to be released by bluegrass luminary Del McCoury's McCoury Music label - features a duet with Alison Krauss on the HAGGARD-penned classic "Mama's Hungry Eyes."

Joined by a savvy cast of musicians like Marty Stuart and Alison Krauss, Stuart explains in the disc's liner notes. "Each take became a performance. Merle's singing was totally inspired," Although SESSIONS marks HAGGARD's first venture into bluegrass, he has been hailed as "the indomitable guardian of country tradition" in Blender, and dubbed "the most influential country singer of his generation" by the L.A. Times.

Listen to tracks from this new release due to drop on OCT. 2nd
visit www.mccourymusic.com
or www.myspace.com/mccourymusic

evanreilly
Sep-19-2007, 8:21pm
I was out at the Marty Stuart exhibit in the TN. State Museum last week; I was interested to see Marty had, among a whole mess of great instruments, Merle's custom 12-fret Martin guitar. How did I know it was Merle's? Big pearl 'Merle Haggard' on the fingerboard, of course! Could read it across the room.

hellindc
Sep-22-2007, 12:11am
I really don't want to start one of those "what's bluegrass," but most of this CD, after the first cut, sounds simply like traditional, acoustic country. Now, I like it, might even buy it, but calling this a "bluegrass session" seems quite stretch to me, and my conception of bluegrass is pretty broad.

August Watters
Sep-22-2007, 6:31pm
Call it what you want, I'll be first in line. I think Merle is a fabulous singer -- I've spent many long hours listening to his recent recordings, trying to get all the little subtle turns in his phrasing. It's like listening to Ella, without the swing.

Mike Bunting
Sep-22-2007, 7:24pm
I agree with August, I don't care if it's bluegreass or not, like Bill, he transcends genre. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif

Brady Smith
Sep-22-2007, 8:18pm
Life long Haggard fan here as well...it's traditional country not bluegrass.

August Watters
Sep-22-2007, 8:41pm
OK, I went and listened to the clips -- I have to agree I don't hear a bluegrass groove anywhere, except arguably the first track. Looks like they're calling this bluegrass because it's played by bluegrass instruments, which used to be country instruments back before bluegrass was around. Whatever.

Merle doesn't sound as comfortable as on his "Roots" recordings he made with his long-time sidemen. Oh well -- count me in, gotta have anything new by Merle.

bones12
Sep-22-2007, 9:45pm
Merle could sing the entries in the phone book and still sound great. The mandolins alone will only enhance his already stellar sound. Doug in Vermont

f5loar
Sep-23-2007, 4:57pm
Many of Merle's songs have crossed over to bluegrass and recorded by many bluegrass groups over the years.

pickinonthefarm
Sep-25-2007, 10:23am
I just checked the Mccoury Music site and they have an in studio video clip of Merle Haggard playing with Marty Stuart and friends. This was recorded November 6 & 7, 2006 in Hendersonville, TN at the Skaggs Family Recording Studio.

Check out this link!

www.mccourymusic.com/mhvideo1.cfm

My blood runs blue!

sgarrity
Oct-03-2007, 8:36am
I picked this up last night. #Just what I expected from The Hag. #Good COUNTRY music with strong, expressive vocals backed by a group of very tasteful pickers. #Definitely worth a listen!

Marty plays some great, slow bluesy mando breaks. It still amazes me that he isn't more popular than he is.

ourgang
Oct-03-2007, 11:37am
Wow!! I thought that it was just me. Great recording from one of the Greatest. Should have been titled "Haggard Unplugged". This will go on my buy list.

midmando
Oct-03-2007, 11:43am
I just downloaded the whole thing from itunes - great stuff.

ourgang
Oct-05-2007, 9:00pm
I picked it up tonight, 10 bucks at Wal-Mart. The Hag sounds young again and I thought that he sounded very comfortable in that setting. Some really GREAT stuff. Worth a whole listening. Go to cmt.com, search Merle Haggard and you can listen to the whole CD.

DryBones
Oct-05-2007, 10:04pm
Sounds like what country use to sound like. Great stuff by a great artist.