PDA

View Full Version : A couple of different choices on first mandolin

sleestax
Sep-16-2007, 9:47am
I've decided to pick up my first musical instrument and pursue some lessons. I've been looking at a couple of different instruments on eBay, A Kentucky 620B and a Michael Kelly Legacy Plus. Both are in my price range. The Kentucky is a little cheaper but I don't believe it has a solid spruce top.

My main requirement is that this mandolin carry me over into intermediate lessons and play, once (and if!) I can get to that point. It would also be nice if it sounded great and looked cool.

If any of you have experience with these mandolins, please let me know the pros and cons of each and any tips on how to get started would be great.

Thanks...I look forward to being part of this community.

dcoxmandolin
Sep-16-2007, 10:04am
Go with the Kelly, and if you have a good teacher in mind, ask him if he has any used axes. Depending on your price range, which preference you have, and such the A models will usually give you more bang for the buck here.
When I started as a child I had A models and played them well into adulthood. They are great mandolins and some of them are top shelf. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

MandoBen
Sep-16-2007, 10:05am
I think the Eastman 505 is much better than either of those two, and will easily carry you to the intermediate level, probably even beyond. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

lastchair
Sep-16-2007, 10:09am
Welcome to the cafe! I know I never follow this advice, but in retrospect I should have done my own advice. Which is to go to the place you're looking at lessons and rent one for a few months. You'll probably get an A model Kentucky for rental. Then as you learn how to play, and can tell the difference in terms of action, fat frets versus skinny frets, radius, sound, you can try out the mandolins on the wall while renting until you are sure. The local shop where I eventually bought my Collings even has a program where they will apply all of your 3 month rental fee to a purchase. Instead on impulse I called someone to ask about mandolins and next thing I know I ordered an Eastman. It's not a bad mandolin and I got lucky that the neck size is small. It's just not as easy to play since it has small frets which requires more accuracy in fretting and slightly more pressure to bring the string down exactly onto the fret. But I ended up going to the local shop when MAS attacked and as you can see, I found something I liked better.

So if you read this far, and have access to a local shop, do consider my advice. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

David O'Brien
Sep-16-2007, 10:16am
I take a different tack on this, I think you should consider an older mandolin, like an old (40's or 50's ) Gibson A-40 or A-50 or maybe even an old Stradolin. If you get one of these, you will find them to be stable, good sounding, and an instrument that you can keep as a back-up or as an instrument to keep at the office, take on camping trips, leave out near the tv or computer, etc.

sleestax
Sep-16-2007, 10:17am
I have an instructor in mind, but the music shop where she teaches does not rent instruments. There is a great shop nearby that will probably do the setup on whatever I end up buying. I'll probably ask their opinions before I buy.

While I'm primarily interested in learning to play bluegrass, I'm really interested in just playing. I like to listen to most styles of music and friends jam on everything from old time to punk. Eventually, I'd like to have a couple of different intruments for playing different styles...but that's far into the future.

ab4usa
Sep-16-2007, 10:19am
Forget the scroll at this price and buy the best A5 you can find in your budget with solid woods. You may still be forced to go pac-rim but at least you'll get a better sounding mandolin that will take you where you wnat to go.

Jim MacDaniel
Sep-16-2007, 12:49pm
Between the two choices, the MK is all solid woods, while the Kentucky is all laminated woods. If buying new, for a comparable Kentucky look at the KM-700 -- but Saga, who imports Kentucky, also imports Rover mandolins, and I used to see quite a few nice reviews of the Rover RM-75 here on the message boards. (It also has an interesting deep burgundy finish, which is a nice alternative to the plethora of sunburst options on the market -- especially in this price point.)

Both of these mandolins should work nicely for you, but once the MAS bug bites you (and it will bite you if you stick with the mandolin ;) if you shop for a used model now you will get more bang for your buck -- plus someone else will have eaten the depreciation costs instead of you.

Also, as suggested above, if you go with an A-style instead of an F-style, whether new or used, you will also get more instrument for your buck (esp. the Kentucky A-style line-up at this price point) -- but admitedly buying an A-style it may lead to scroll-envy if that is where your aethetic tastes lie. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Elliot Luber
Sep-16-2007, 4:54pm
If the place where you are taking lessons won't rent instruments you'll get some unbiased advice from your teacher.

Jonmiller
Sep-17-2007, 9:51am
Buy the best you can afford-you'll not regret it, a great instrument makes learning a joy and you can always resale a quality instrument whereas it's not always easy to get your money back on an Asian instrument.
I'd recommend the Collings MT A style-it will carry you through your whole life as a player and you will be proud every time you take it out of the case.

sleestax
Sep-17-2007, 12:23pm
I'd recommend the Collins MT A style-it will carry you through your whole life as a player and you will be proud every time you take it out of the case.

yeah, those Collins A's are gorgeous. A guy camping beside us at Merlefest this year had one and it sounded great. Unfortunately, I don't have 2k to spend. My original question was regarding two $400 and $500 mandolins, and that's really all my wife is going to let me spend. Maybe once I can actually play the thing, she'll let me upgrade to a pimp mandolin.

ab4usa
Sep-17-2007, 12:40pm
There are a couple of Kentucky a style solid wood mandolins that will fit your budget.

JEStanek
Sep-17-2007, 12:44pm
I would recommend you get a used Eastman A5. #They can be found in that range and they can be resold in that range too.

I never, ever felt ashamed of mine. #In fact, I was proud of it. #It was well built and sounded great to me and recieved compliments from some and so-so reactions from others (what I would expect to get from a bunch of people trying almost any decently made/set up instrument). #Talk to Stephen Perry at Gianna Violins or Dennis with the Mandolin store. #No Financial Intrest on my part, but these two guys have a great rep and are solid Eastman dealers.

They also pop up in the classifieds search there too.

Jamie

Eric F.
Sep-17-2007, 1:23pm
Low-end F styles are a waste of money and you're on a budget. Is it more important to have a mando that looks cool or to have one with enough tone to carry you through to the intermediate stage? Get a Big Muddy if you don't have to have F holes; Eastman 505 or Kentucky 505 if you do. Those will almost certainly be superior to the 620 or the MK.

sleestax
Sep-17-2007, 4:17pm
thanks for all of the suggestions. Anymore suggestions in the $400-$600 range?

earthsave
Sep-17-2007, 4:23pm
Go for a used solid wood A-style. #Play it if you can. #Check the classifieds here. #

Buy a new budget A-style e.g. KM150S from someone like Elderly.com or FQMS.com or Janet Davis Music. They'll set it up for you and it will be easy to play and learn on. Then, when you get better and decide you want to continue, you can save up for a better instrument. Keep your first as a beater.

Eric F.
Sep-17-2007, 4:56pm
This price range is not brimming with great options. Big Muddy/Mid-Missouri, Eastman 505 and the top Kentucky A are as good as you'll find unless you stumble onto a real deal.

Sep-19-2007, 8:20am
I have to second the recommendation to call Steve at Gianna Violins or Dennis at the Mandolin Store. Both can put you in the best mandolin you can get for your money AND it will be properly setup when you get it. Sometimes they have great mandos they can really deal on due to tiny cosmetic issues.

Ebay is not the place to buy your first mandolin.

Big Joe
Sep-19-2007, 9:37am
Often the Gibson A9 can be found for not much more than your budget and it will certainly carry you to any level you want. That would be the price for a good used one. Eastman is also a good choice.

ALog
Sep-19-2007, 9:49am
I think the first thing to do is, if possible, play several in that price range and even a few above to get a good feel. Personally, I've played all the ones mentioned in this blog(MK, Eastman, Kentucky, Weber, etc.) and for my mind, Michael Kelley is just as good as any mentioned. I have 2 along with a Gibson A 1916. I played many Eastman's of all sizes and the MK had superior sound, even compared to some of the Weber's. Play anything you get, if you have a chance at all.

dirty harry
Sep-19-2007, 10:18am
I would look for a Flatiron Performer A. Should be able to pick one up for $700.00 - $1000.00 range with HSC. Great investment that you will enjoy playing and do well with when you move up to that Gilchrist or Nugget. Above ALL get a right to return, 3 day inspection period! If seller is unwilling move on!
Harry http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif

lovethemf5s
Sep-19-2007, 10:53am
I bought a new Rover RM50 from Elderly for a travel mandolin. $149 and I love it.

Jkf_Alone
Sep-19-2007, 11:16am
i didnt know you could get an A9 for just a little over 500 bucks used. wow gives me something to think about when i upgrade. I have to admit i do have scroll envy, but having a gibby might just make up for no scroll. what is the going price on a used A9 then? *this is only if i DONT win the Mix A5 http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

pager
Sep-19-2007, 11:25am
Buy a banjo. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Sep-19-2007, 11:29am
I haven't seen an A9 for under $600 either. If I do I'll own it.

MikeEdgerton
Sep-19-2007, 11:34am
The cheapest A9 I've seen was 825.00. I'm not shopping right.

bradeinhorn
Sep-19-2007, 11:40am
me too - and that is RARE. typically they pop in for 950-1050....

and sometimes 1600 http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

MikeEdgerton
Sep-19-2007, 11:53am
I'm with neptune on this one, if I saw one under 600.00 I'd own it.

pager
Sep-19-2007, 4:19pm
Same here. I saw a nice used one at a festival in Colorado about a month ago. They wanted $1150.00 for it. If I could find them for $600.00 I'd have one too.

Jkf_Alone
Sep-20-2007, 3:04pm
when something sounds too good to be true ...

- i think the best value in used right now probably is the recent pac rim stuff. amazing how many 1 month old mandos are in the classifieds.