PDA

View Full Version : What is an army navy mandolin?

powercat
Sep-12-2007, 10:38am
I've seen "Army Navy Style Madolin" a few times in these message boards, and was wondering:

A) Where the name comes from, and why they are called that?

B) What defines an Army Navy over other flat-top styles (say a Mid-Mo / Big Muddy)? Is it the more rounded, flat shape vs the more teardrop of the Mid-Mo?

allenhopkins
Sep-12-2007, 11:35am
From an earlier thread, here's Joe Vest's explanation of the introduction of the Gibson "Army-Navy" model during World War I. Joe was working for Gibson in Nashville when he wrote this:

"Among those [changes in Gibson production during WWI] was the introduction of the Army/Navy mandolins. These little flat models could be carried in a duffel bag and taken to the war with the soldier or sailor. This allowed the most popular string instrument of that era to be kept with the player even in difficult times. They were rugged and quite plain so they were not expensive. The production of these instruments replaced some of the production of other instruments."

The Army-Navy was a plain "pancake" shaped instrument, round body, flat top and back, little ornamentation. It was designed specifically to be cheap, durable, and suited for soldiers' or sailors' use. I have heard that it was sold in PX's, but don't know if that's true.

Gibson didn't make the Army-Navy for very long, but the design received a rebirth by the Flatiron company of Montana in the 1980's (maybe late 1970's?). They started making mandolins, mandolas, and octave mandolins with flat "pancake" bodies. These weren't officially called "Army-Navy" models, but the inspiration and resemblance were clear. The Flatirons were surprisingly good-sounding instruments, well-made from good woods, and became quite popular. When Gibson bought out Flatiron (1987, I think), they made a few of the "pancake" models. I have a "A/N Custom" Gibson "pancake" from 1987, with very fancy figured wood, gold hardware etc.

I would say that the "Army-Navy" description of flat-top mandolins, has to do with circular or near-circular body shape, as contrasted with the more "teardrop" shape of other flat-tops, shallow body depth, round sound-hole, and relatively flat neck pitch, which leads to use of a relatively low bridge. The "pancake" body, and the overall "lollipop" look of the instrument, are quite distinctive.

Although originally designed as a very low-end instrument, the Army-Navy "pancake" turned out to be an effective design, one that has persisted for 90 years or so, and is still seen today; Kentucky has made a "pancake" mandolin, and the Flatirons, though no longer produced, are in regular demand as used instruments. This thread, (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=13;t=15802)which has been running for over three years, will give you a lot of information about Army-Navy instruments and other "pancakes."

powercat
Sep-12-2007, 12:41pm
Thanks a bunch...I'll check it out.

MikeEdgerton
Sep-12-2007, 1:24pm
The Gibson Sounding Board mentions the Army-Navy mandolins (http://www.gibson.com/magazines/amplifier/1997/8/archive/)