PDA

View Full Version : F5G Master Model

Charlie Derrington
Feb-03-2004, 3:48am
All Gibson F-5s are "Master Models". They have been since 1922. There is also a model called the F-5 Master Model. It's easy to tell, look on the label. F-9, F-5G, Sam Bush, F-5 Fern, Doyle Lawson, etc., #and the F-5 (Master Model).

To have changed the label would have been messing around with history (and I would have angered a whole bunch more folks than confused a very few). There is no more F-5L, F-5V, and I'm working on changing the name on the F-5G. What about going back to the F-12? Haven't made up my mind.

Charlie

Gavin Baird
Feb-03-2004, 8:19am
Just noticed this add on EBay advertising a 2003 F5G mandolin. The label refers to the instrument as a "Master Model" From the look of the instrument this doesn't appear to be correct. What is the matter...G....3700787471&category=10179

BigJoe
Feb-03-2004, 9:34am
Gibson F5 style mandolins may all have a tag that says Master Model. That refers to the style of mandolin rather than a particular model. The mandolin called the "Master Model" is a particular mandolin more correctly called the F5V. The term master model has been used since the F5 was released in 1922 to designate the body style as was the mandola, mandocello, and the L5 guitar from that era. Hope that clears up the confusion.

Michael Lewis
Feb-03-2004, 3:36pm
Joe, your explanation is clear enough, but the "logic" involved is less so. So, just because it says "Master Model" inside doesn't mean that it is ? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Scott Rucker
Feb-04-2004, 4:23pm
Charlie, I love the F-12 designation idea. When I had a G, I always hated trying to explain that I had a Gibson F5G to folks. It was always greeted with something like, "That's a phony." "No, it's real, I bought it new from a dealer" "No, it's fake. 'Cause a buddy of a buddy of my sister-in-law's got one of them Gibson F5's, and it's got that white looking strip down the neck and around the back".

Each model would have a name that would help keep its identity separate from its kin.

A9cp
Feb-08-2004, 3:51pm
Got to agree with them Charlie, a name change on the F5G would be a winner in my book.