PDA

View Full Version : Would be beginner

smokyjon
May-26-2004, 4:13pm
After looking over the market I'm more confused than ever about which F model mandolin to buy that won't send me to the poor house. Of course when one reads the data supplied by the manufacturer, every mandolin is the greatest unit ever built. I'm sure this group has seen this question pop up many times and would not like it to repeat. But by golly I do need some honest opinions---about the mandolins of course. Guess I should mention that I will be a beginner and I'm thinking something not over $500.00. Thanks for your time---
Jon

jiffyfeet
May-26-2004, 4:24pm
I'll go ahead and be the first to suggest buying an A style instead of an F with that amount of money. You will get a mando that's twice as good for the same amount of money. Otherwise, Michael Kelly.

Brookside
May-26-2004, 4:46pm
I'll be the second to say it. Invest in tone rather than a scroll. Buy an A style first

mingusb1
May-26-2004, 4:52pm
I bought a new Washburn A-style for about $250 when I started. #It played and sounded good enough to get me hooked. #

But it didn't take long (< 6 months) for me to get something that I could hit harder and get better tone/volume out of. #

So now I am playing a Czech A-style that ran about $1100. #I'm quite happy with it (thus far!).

Z

neal
May-26-2004, 5:05pm
You'll here a lot of "buy an A style" from a lot of folks here, with good reason. #That scroll puts on a few hundred or more dollars to the price of a quality instrument. #

I was browsing the classifieds and saw 2 instruments posted today, one a # Breedlove Quartz (http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=9890&query=retrieval) model that can be had for your price (what's 50 bucks?). # I believe all would agree that these are nice to have, not just for starters either. #

The other is an Ibanez 524 (http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=9895&query=retrieval) from the 70's. #That ain't bad either, if you need the scroll. # Playability on these is very nice. #

With the Breedlove, you'd have a made in USA label, on the Ibanez you'd have a made in Japan label. #Both well put together, #both worth what you're ready to pay.

I have no financial or other interest in either sale. My disclaimer. #Good luck and have fun.

Otherwise, watch the ads, folks are good here.

neal
May-26-2004, 5:35pm
Man, that Quartz didn't last long at all......

jlb
May-26-2004, 7:26pm
If you can find another Breedlove at that crazy price, dig in!

Having said that, I would recommend one of the usual suspects at this pricepoint, a Mid-Missori. They are all solid, American-made, playable and with good tone, and I'd add another comment also...a flattop won't lie to you like an arch-top will (kinda like an electric guitar w/ no distortion vs. one with distortion). If you end up making a flattop sound good, and the results can be beautiful indeed, when you get to an arch-top, you may (and I stress MAY) be better off than had you started with a forgivign arch-top to begin with.

That point is arguable, this point is not: If you go with a Mid-Mo (or an insanely underpriced Breedlove http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif ), you will never need to sell that mando unless it breaks. It won't just be a campfire mando, it will be a GOOOOD campfire mando.

If you go with a factory-class mando, and to tell you I think MKs and Eastmans are the best in this class, you will most likely sell it in time as your tastes and skills develop, or you will have a true campfire, dont-care-if-it-fall-in-the-fire mando...which is perfectly fine by my book, too!

smokyjon
May-28-2004, 8:54am
Thanks for the input on mandolin type suggestions. I was set to get an F model because I didn't know anything about the A models. Think you-all have shifted my view and I'll now be looking for one of the A models that was reccomended.
Jon

mcmando
May-28-2004, 9:09am
IMO, the Mid-Missouri may be your best option. They make a great first mandolin because they're well made of top quality all solid woods, relatively inexpensive, and they sound great. I own several mandolins that are a good deal more expensive, but I still enjoy playing my Mid-mo often. If, like many of us, you get bit by the MAS "bug" and move onto more expensive mandos later, hang onto the Mid-mo for travel, camping, or whatever.

John Flynn
May-28-2004, 9:55am
I agree with the Mid-mo suggestion. They are a great mandolins, built by great people who stand behind thier product, even if you buy it used. Its only shortcoming is that it may lack the punch to take the lead in bluegrass jamming and performance, but you are a ways off from that, you can definitely used it to learn those skills and frankly, there is not much in that price range that is significantly punchier. Mid-mos are fine for performance in all roles in any other kind of music. Also, they are one of the few mandos in that price range that deserve to be long-term "keepers" if you move up later. Just MHO.

Dru Lee Parsec
May-28-2004, 10:17am
I gotta say that I went into a store about 6 months ago with "Scroll Envy". I wanted an F style with all the twisty and twirly bits. But the mandolin that jumped out at me was a Breedlove Quartz KO model. I really like that mandolin. The feel is great (Breedloves have slightly wider necks) and the tone is just amazing. I found mine used for about $1000 but this just goes to show that non F-Style mandos are worth looking at.

Now, if you want a real piece of history and want to go as high as $850 you can buy this 101 year old Gibson (http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/buffalobros-11-10-03/gibson-a-umb9257/index.html) I am sorely tempted to get that one myself.

Tom C
May-28-2004, 10:25am
That Gibson year is at least a 1910. Before 1910 the pickguard was inlayed into the top.

John Zimm
May-28-2004, 10:35am
Dang, if I had the money I would get that Gibson. Smokyjon-if you are willing to go a little higher and get that Gibson, I doubt you will be disappointed. Those early Gibsons sound great.

-John.

Hondo
May-28-2004, 10:43am
Ditto about the Mid-mo. I just bought one last week from Mandolin Bros. even though I wasn't planning on it. Picked up the Mid-mo almost as an afterthought, and really liked the tone. Put it aside, tried some others, and went back to it. My wife said "It sounds great. Why don't you just buy it?" (of course she didn't say that about the Collings, the F-2, the Rigel, etc.) So I did. I could easily have spent much more (and I will, at some point), but at my skill level and with my tastes in music, the Mid-mo was a great match. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

deaner
May-30-2004, 12:05pm
Wow! I cannont believe it took this long for someone to suggest Michael Kelly. If you desire the scroll but are on a budget these Michael Kelly's are the ticket. All solid woods, good feel and great sound out of these. If you are not set on "the scroll" and you are into bluegrass of folk, then Kentucky's are worth looking at. You can get a top of the line Kentucky A for about $400-$500 with hardshell case. I myself had to have the scroll and am very happy with my MK.

Worth a second look.

Deaner