PDA

View Full Version : Glenn vs. mowry

brose
Sep-04-2007, 9:52pm
I'm interested in buying either a Glenn mandolin or a used Mowry. # Does anyone out there have an opinion on how these 2 different mandolins compare in tone, volume, playability, and aesthetics? # #I'd appreciate any help. # Thanks.... brose

brose
Sep-04-2007, 10:04pm
Also, what types of music are the two mandolins suited for best? Thanks. brose

stevem
Sep-04-2007, 10:59pm
You may not find anyone that's played mandolins by both as they're both smaller builders. I own a Mowry and am extremely pleased with all aspects. In my biased opinion, you'd be getting a great price for the one listed in the classifieds. Here's mine. Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.

tattiemando
Sep-05-2007, 7:23am
Hi, I have got a Mowry f5 as well. From the minuet I placed my order to acctually getting my hands on my f5 Andrew Mowry built me, I had a hunch I was going to get an awesome mandolin. Mr Mowry did not disappoint me in any way and I cannot see how he could improve his customer service as he kept me informed by means of photographs and emails on a regular basis. He obviously enjoys building mandolins and it shows in all aspects of his mandolin building process. The tone just keeps getting better and better. The intonation is perfect all the way up the neck. The fit and finish are flawless. Andrew is a true artist and craftsman in his own right. I live in Scotland and play and study bluegrass music and all my family and friends agree I made a wise decision purchasing a custom built Mowry.....My advice, get your hands on a Mowry.

Kevin Briggs
Sep-05-2007, 7:43am
If you search the mandolin Cafe, you will see positive comments about both, that's for sure. It will probably be hard to play both, and to find someone who has played both, but you will find plenty of people who love each.

I will say that I've seen many, many messages on this board about Mowrys, and I think the prices have risen in the past few years, so that's positive.

bradeinhorn
Sep-05-2007, 8:01am
i've played one of each including the one in the classifieds (have no financial interest in either other than the captain sold me my Daley). I prefer the tone fit and finish of the Mowry to the Glenn. The mowry is a nice even across the board intrument where as the glenn had some great cut and volume in the midrange (probably more than the mowry). however the bottom end was not really there. I prefer the playability on the mowry more too. played very well up the neck especially, i recall.

Lane Pryce
Sep-05-2007, 11:34am
Never played a Glenn. I own a Mowry and enjoy it immensely. More than enough volume and tonally its balanced well. Fit and finish are as good as the best available. PM for specifics. Lp

Roydw3
Sep-05-2007, 12:22pm
I love my Glenn F-5 but I think you are talking about a different instrument to jump from $2300-2500 up to the price of a Mowry. I love my Glenn but I have actually talked to Mr. Mowry about building me a mandolin, too. Not to replace the Glenn but to add to my stable. I am thinking about an A-style from him or what I really want is an octave. They are both great builders and from talking to both they are both great men. The Glenn is really a great mandolin and I play it daily with joy. I don't think you would be unhappy with either builder. To me it goes back to what you can afford and what your plans are right now. I sold an Eastman and a Breedlove to finance my Glenn (along with an old car) and I am happy I did. I will not sell my Glenn to finance a Mowry...I will save my money and wait. Anyway, I hope this makes sense as I am on cough medicine and a little loopy right now...woo hoo!

brose
Sep-05-2007, 8:14pm
Thanks to all of you who responded to my inquiry. I went with the Mowry, and now have to figure out how to be patient until it arrives!!! brose