PDA

View Full Version : A NEW-OLD FABULOUS BEAUTY

Alex Timmerman
Feb-03-2004, 6:38am
Hello friends,

I wonder who will take care of this mandolin? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3701585701&category=359)

Still about eight days to decide....

Greetings,

Alex

Jim Garber
Feb-03-2004, 11:27am
Any clue as to the maker? Tipaldi Brothers sounds like importers.
Looks like it will need extensive work.
Jim

milazzese
Feb-03-2004, 3:19pm
My question about this is to what extent all that decoration would adversely affect the tone. It almost reminds me of Elvis with the leather-covered Martin.

Jim Garber
Feb-03-2004, 5:54pm
Actually not Elvis. Check out that doily -- it is obviously a feminine mandolin.

I agree... none of this ornamentation adds to the sound. Sometimes the plainest understated instruments are the best. On the other hand it is nice to play a work of art.

Jim
The owner of both very plain and very ornate mandolins

vkioulaphides
Feb-04-2004, 10:36am
... and plain need not be graceless.

Victor
(owner of only plain mandos http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif and plainer yet bowed string instruments)

P.S. As regards this particular item: Ouch... the string-holder on the bottom has been somehow yanked out of its sockets... cause?... remedy...? But never mind me; I'm certainly not bidding on this one.

Eugene
Feb-04-2004, 11:35am
Weird. #I would guess that bit of metal is not a true tailpiece. #It looks like it served only to protect the soundboard where the strings came over the butt. #It also looks like it once had a hinged cover. #I suspect string attachment was orginally via ivory/bone hitch pins set into the tail block.

The etching below the cant looks almost as though it were in preparation to receive inlay. #In spite of gratuitous decor, it looks somehow unfinished as is.

I don't know much about the Tipaldi Bros. beyond that I've seen a couple pretty diversely-made mandolins to bear their label as "imported by..."

Neil Gladd
Feb-05-2004, 11:59am
The Tipaldi Brothers were also composers/arrangers/publishers of mandolin music. Their pictures appeared on the covers of their sheet music, and I seem to remember them having pretty impressive beards and/or mustaches.

vkioulaphides
Feb-05-2004, 12:03pm
Well, Neil, for one to be importing such instruments as THIS, one really ought to have nothing less than a waxed and curled, handlebar mustache! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Jim Garber
Feb-06-2004, 6:45pm
So.... no one can venture a guess of the true maker of this beauty? Not even a school of making?

Jim

Alex Timmerman
Feb-06-2004, 7:14pm
Of course we can Jim,

Look for a possible maker in a wider circle of Neapolitan Luthiers (a hint: not so much Vinaccia).

Eugene, that bit of metal is indeed the tailpiece that served to protect the edge of the soundboard from the presure of and damage caused by the strings. The holes at the bottom of the mandolin (tail block) there were ivory or silvernickel hitch pins placed to attach the strings to. right through the metal tail piece.

And if you ask me, the instrument - an absolute brilliant piece and of art - is in a reasonably good state with a top that still is undamaged. Not so much īvitalī restoration work on it at all.
If you like it, ask the seller if the neck is straigth or not.

Cheers,

Alex.

Jim Garber
Feb-06-2004, 7:23pm
No, I am afraid that I would not be one to go after this one. I have a long list of candidates for the luthier's touch as it is. I don't need any more of those.

Jim

Alex Timmerman
Feb-06-2004, 7:27pm
Well letīs hope it finds a good home http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Best,

Alex

Marc
Feb-07-2004, 3:26am
Hey, I'd like it - but then I've always been a show off!

I would guess it'll go to Japan as they seem to collect ornate and expensive bowlbacks. I'm sure you've all seen the japanese mando website stuffed with pristine high end italian mandolins...this instrument looks like a candidate for that collection.

Marc

www.belmando.com

Alex Timmerman
Feb-11-2004, 5:38am
Hi all,

It didnīt sell.

(US $1,945.00 (Reserve not met)) #

Cheers,

Alex