PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin a beginner's instrument?

fritz_monroe
Sep-02-2007, 3:23pm
Hello folks. I'm new here and looking for a little beginner information.

I have played a couple instruments, but never a string instrument. I'm planning on changing that in the next couple weeks and am exploring my options. I like to do things that aren't quite what the main stream is doing, so a mandolin seems to fit that bill. I also like the sound and there are some instructors in the area in case I can't really do it alone.

So I guess what I'm asking is if the mandolin is an instrument that a beginner to string instruments can learn. Do the pairs of strings make it much more difficult for a beginner to see progress?

Should I even be here? Or should I stick to my original idea of learning the guitar and then branching out if I still want to learn to play the mandolin?

Thanks in advance.

John Flynn
Sep-02-2007, 3:44pm
I started with 20 years on guitar, but now 15 years after starting the mandolin, it is my main instrument by a wide margin. I am mostly self taught, although I sought out formal instruction after I had been play quite a while. I only say that so you have a reference on where I'm coming from.

I think the easiest string instrument to start with would be the uke. It is very easy to play and there is a lot of instructional support out there. Skills could be transferred to the mando or guitar later. But if uke doesn't float your boat, I think mandolin is not a bad choice. The notes and the chords are laid out very logically. There is a decent level of instructional support out there. The guitar is not that hard to learn, though, and has just a ton of instructional support out there. Also, you can get relatively better instruments for less in the guitar world, IMHO, just because of the economies of scale in the marketplace.

But the real answer has to come from you personally. Whether it's mando, flute or flugelhorn, you will learn most quickly on whatever instrument you have the most passion for. If you have a real jones to play mandolin, go for it. If you think it may be a passing fancy, then it is a judgement call only you can make.

Narayan Kersak
Sep-02-2007, 3:53pm
That's a funny thread topic, for reasons which I will describe. If you ask the old english fiddle player in my group...he first said...fretted instruments are for girls...then after having a diversity training at his work now says...they are for amateurs. He decided he didn't want to be sexist. ; ) So yes, the mandolin is a beginner instrument if you are going on his word.

Anyway, I've played guitar for 19 years...I took up mando 1.5 years ago. I can play more tunes better on the mando than I can on guitar, and I've been told I'm a pretty good guitarist, both lead and back up. I also find that the mando being tuned in 5ths makes a big difference. The mando seems to make more sense to me. I was not "passionate" about the mandolin until I actually started playing it, now I can't put it down, and can't understand why anyone would want to play guitar! If your pick is between guitar and mando, I'd say go with the mando.

poppop
Sep-02-2007, 4:18pm
I started on trumbone in school, then electric guitar for 15 years, then in the past 2 years it has been acoustic guitar only ,except a little mando past 1 year. I learned Watson Blues on mando,and now have a burning passion for mandolin.Mando seems as if it is going to be my main instrument now .Im way better on guitar though.Ive put my time in guitar only to find mando calls out to my heart.I wonder how many of yall this has happened to ? Anyway go with what your heart tells you.It may take a few trys.

Walter Newton
Sep-02-2007, 4:23pm
I play both guitar and mandolin, I wouldn't necessarily say one is harder or easier than the other. #The double courses on the mandolin may require some finger strength, but then again the wider fret spacing on a guitar may require more stretching...picking out melodies may be easier on the mandolin due to the symettrical tuning, but it's pretty easy to bang out 3 chords on a guitar and get a full sounding vocal accompaniment...etc, etc.

I'd say they're equally suitable for beginners, rather than making a decision based on ease of play or relative popularity I'd suggest going with the one whose sound and musical role in whatever styles of music you play you're most interested in.

OldMan1
Sep-02-2007, 4:32pm
The mandolin is a wonderful instrument and I don't see anything wrong with starting on it if you want to.
Here are the pros and cons of the 2, IMHO
Mando makes you work your pinkie harder, which most people find difficult to do at first.
Some people find tremolo more difficult to master vs. fillin in spaces in guitar by playing a run of faster notes and chords on the guitar.
Guitar is much easier to learn 3 chord songs (c/w, folk,etc.) than others.
To me, I find a mandolin more difficult to practice with alone with (unless I add a CD) than a guitar.
Important...Don't try to teach yourself. Although it sometimes works, more often you imbed bad habits which are more difficult to unlearn later. Just 1-3 lessons at the beginning will be much more than worth the money.
I have seen a lo of guitars who switch to mando's or play both. I haven't seen as many mando players swithc to guitar.
Finally and most importantly, it is up to what you want. If mando is what you really want to play start with it. You'll never be really happy learning to play an instrument just to learn to play anotherinstrument. Consider the argument that you really want to play the trumpet, but someone says that you need to take piano lessons first. Will you be happy learning to play the piano.
The mando may have a steeper learning at the beginning, but if you really want...go for it, It will be worth the effort. BUT, get those beginning lessons!
Just my $.2. Art

Andrew Faltesek
Sep-02-2007, 5:50pm
If the mandolin caught your interest when listening to music, you might want to pluck a friends instrument or try a few out in a shop where you might consider a purchase. Beware...once you start checkin' these beauties out you are most likely to become a glassy-eyed, scroll desiring MAS infected musician like the rest of us!
Are you moved by folk, bluegrass, or other typical mandolin style music? If so, mandos could be a good fit. Hard to say if a guitar is a better beginning instrument than a mandolin or vice-versa. Its more about what moves you and desire to play. The potential is vast for both. First string instrument or not, once most of us got a mandolin, we played and played until our fingertips were sore and just HAD to put it down. Any trepidation about the skill required was soon forgotten to enjoyment; at least until later when we wanted to develop our potential.
I was worried about learning all new chords and scales after playing the guitar for so many years, but it was not too hard (at least at my modest level).
I'd say go for it; but I wanted a mandolin for a very long time, and now that I have one I'm totally captivated. Addicted. Blissfully mandocentric. My beautiful Takamine is spending a lot of time in the case. Oh the shame!

lastchair
Sep-02-2007, 6:01pm
I would go with the mandolin, because it's easier to learn tunes and melodies. And it's such a sweet little instrument, and you'll definitely be different than all the other guys who play the guitar. You're on the right forum to be asking questions. 2 years ago, I didn't even know a mandolin existed. Then they started appearing at Gianna Violins' website and now I've got mandofever like the rest of the denizens here.

Zako
Sep-02-2007, 6:22pm
It seems that the mandolin would be a good starter for you because you are drawn to it in some way. When I first saw a mandolin (an F5, the one with the squiggly on top and two points) my first thought was, "Wow, what an awesome mini-electric guitar!" After learning a bit more, however, I started to become drawn to its unique sound. Now I'm absolutely in love with the thing. Just suggesting that people who like mandolins in some ways may also be drawn to it in others.

Another thing: While fun and enjoyable to learn tunes on, the mandolin is an absolute monster when it come to technique and things like making it actually sound good. Not that I'm trying to scare you away or anything. Every instrument has its issues. Some instruments, like banjoes, for example, never sound good.

lastchair
Sep-02-2007, 6:43pm
that's right, and there's the tremelo, which sounds so gorgeous on a mandolin.

stevenmando
Sep-02-2007, 6:44pm
A long time ago someone told me that the mandolin was a folk instrument and for a long time mandolin was not even menthion in the music history book but just a tiny blurb on a obscure page well it has grown up and you will find mandolins in every area of music from rock to classical, celtic, blues and the list goes on , like any instrunment you pick it up because you want to learn about, its the sound captures your imagination , its like when you hear a group of instrument play and the madolin part sticks out above all the rest and you say to yourself how does that person do that I want to learn that ,like every instrument the fun is learning how to play it weather that takes a year or a lifetime.
no instrument is a starter instrument like everything it takes passion and sweat and when your finger start to hurt and those callasuse start to form then you know I have just started ,when someone says a starter instrument it like saying the mandolin has no value and to me that is unexceptable.

fritz_monroe
Sep-02-2007, 7:04pm
First off, thanks for all the replies. After reading over some of them, I think I should clarify a little.

First, in no way did I mean that the mandolin is a starter instrument, I meant would it be a good fit for a person that has never played a string instrument.

Second, I know that it would take a lot of practice for any instrument that I decided upon. I wanted to know about the learning curve. I'm sure that all of you know that as a beginner, it is tough to stay motivated unless you see progress, and not just remembering a chord, but actual measurable progress.

Once again, thanks for all the input. I'll swing by some stores over the next couple weeks and see what I like.

Celtic Saguaro
Sep-02-2007, 7:23pm
The mandolin was my first string instrument many years ago. I had played the piano before and could read music. I had no problems learning the mandolin and did not need a teacher.

Sep-02-2007, 7:29pm
You don't choose your instrument, your instrument chooses you.

Try playing a mandolin for a while, and see if it chooses you.

Lee Callicutt
Sep-02-2007, 8:53pm
While fun and enjoyable to learn tunes on, the mandolin is an absolute monster when it come to technique and things like making it actually sound good.
Along these lines, I would add that it is easy to play the guitar "badly" and still derive quite a bit of enjoyment from doing so. #No harm, no fowl, and most people don't know the difference.

The mandolin, on the other hand, lets you know pretty quickly that you're doing something wrong. #But the layout is very conducive to learning tunes, if you can just put in the time to learning how to produce the tone. #And before you know it, you'll be doing something right.

Tuning strings in pairs can drive you crazy in the beginning, #but I wouldn't let that stop you if the instrument speaks to you.

Bottom line -- it's all good. #Even the banjo! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Fretbear
Sep-03-2007, 12:07am
"That horn's gonna blow real easy once it's broken in Diz....."
"Sheet, don't none of them blow easy........"
Dizzy Gillespie

dcc
Sep-03-2007, 12:29am
i'd say if you are mostly interested in playing chordal accompaniments to something else, then guitar is gentler to your finger tips since the strings are under far less tension, and the chord voicings are richer since you have 6 strings instead of 4(x2)

if you are mostly interested in melodic playing, mandolin is far friendlier for that since it's tuned in symmetric 5ths. (fingerings are more intuitive on instruments that are tuned in the same interval all the way across the range. mandolins are. guitars are not.)

DryBones
Sep-03-2007, 12:42am
having never played an instrument when I first started trying guitar I found I just didn't like it but when I switched to the mandolin I fell in love with it and have been learning slowly for well over a year now with no regrets.

Ivan Kelsall
Sep-03-2007, 1:28am
Greg - First of all do you REALLY want to play Mandolin ?.If the answer is yes,then buy a decent beginners instrument & get started. Only you know where your passion lies. I played Banjo for over 40 years but always had a great love for the Mandolin. I eventually bought a Michael Kelly 'Legacy Solid' 'F' style Mandolin which was a great instrument for a beginner. I had that for a couple of months,long enough to know that i had a talent to learn Mandolin & then i up-graded to a better instrument. The only thing that puzzles me is,why did i wait 40 years to buy a Mandolin !!!!! - I've missed a lot of fun,it's truly an amazing instrument,
# # # # # # # # # #Saska

fritz_monroe
Sep-03-2007, 10:20am
You know, what I really want is to learn a stringed instrument. That instrument should lend itself to taking camping (I don't backpack, and I camp in a popup, so it doesn't have to be super small). It should allow me to play just about any style music (I really don't have a favorite, but don't like rap). I don't plan on playing in any kind of band, so I would think that melody playing would be the technique I'd want.

I like the sound of a guitar, but I really like the sound of a mandolin. But to be honest, I can't really name any great mandolin players. Any recommendations of artists who's CD I should buy?

I also don't know anyone with a mandolin, so would need to get one. I'm thinking that I can probably rent one for a while to see if I like it, I'm guessing that like a guitar, it's difficult to find a good mandolin for less than $300. Anyone know of any great mandolin instructors in the Baltimore area?

edit: Oh yeah, is there a huge difference in sound between acoustic and electric mandolin? Is one easier on the finger tips than the other?

allenhopkins
Sep-03-2007, 10:29am
[1] The first instrument, whichever one it is, is the hardest. After that they get easier.
[2] Mandolin is primarily a lead (melody) instrument. It can be used for accompanying songs, but its treble voice makes it less versatile than guitar in that respect. If what you want to do is sing with instrumental accompaniment, guitar might be more up your alley.
[3] If you listen to mandolins being played, and the sound strikes you as "right for you" (regardless of style of music), give it a try.
[4] No decision of this type is permanent, irreversible. If you try mandolin for a period of time -- give it a fair shot -- and it doesn't get you where you want to be, try something else.

Sep-03-2007, 10:36am
Well, for starters you should listen to man with your namesake, Bill Monroe, the acknowledged father of blugrass.

In fact, if you've got the name Monroe, people are going to expect great things of you. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

It's sort of like wanting to be a composer and your last name is Beethoven,

stevenmando
Sep-03-2007, 10:49am
Hi fritz_monroe music is a fun and the mandolin is not a very hard instrument to play I hope we did not scare you away from exploring the joy of playing a mandolin like any instrument people are passionit about their instruments like Zman said You don't choose your instrument, your instrument chooses you,when I went to the music store to ungrade my mandolin I saw the one that I wanted but it was the sound that came out of that instrument that sold me on it each one is as different as you and me ,when it comes to sound no matter how one makes a mandolin each one has their own voice find the voice that is special to you and make some beautyful music http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Great bowlback
Eastman 515 F

jasona
Sep-03-2007, 11:59am
I like the sound of a guitar, but I really like the sound of a mandolin. But to be honest, I can't really name any great mandolin players. Any recommendations of artists who's CD I should buy?
Go here, (http://www.mandozine.com/) click on "Mandozine Radio", listen, and jot down artists you like. Buy their CDs. I think Live365 even provides direct links to do so.

And enjoy! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

fritz_monroe
Sep-03-2007, 12:37pm
Zman, Fritz Monroe isn't my real name, just my online ID. Had it for many years and have no idea where it came from.

Nope you guys didn't scare me away. I currently have a guitar that I borrowed from my father. It's a cheapy, though. I'm still undecided on the way to go. I'm going to listen to a bit more mandolin while I'm playing around with this guitar. I've only played this guitar a couple days, but boy are my finger tips sore. I'll study a couple mandolin chords so I can try out some in the stores.

I do like the sound of the mandolin. I'll just keep trying to figure out what I want to do.

stype
Sep-03-2007, 12:51pm
Well, I started playing mandolin about 1 week ago after 8 years of guitar. I wouldn't say one is harder than the other, but its hard for me to judge because I didn't exactly learn them at the same time.

The obvious difference I see is the types of music. My experience with guitar was mostly blues, rock, and jazz. I play mandolin because I want experience with country folk and bluegrass. You can play anything on either one, but for some styles of music, one instrument makes more sense than the other.

The difference I've realized recently is in the communities. This forum is great. Mandolin players seem to have common goals...for the most part, they can agree on whats good and what isn't, what instruments look nice and feel nice, etc. I found the same thing to be true in the bass guitar community. The guitar community, on the other hand, is a mess. Theres so many warring factions of guitarists...blues and jazz guys, heavy metal guys, guitar god guys, acoustic guys...and they all seem to disagree on everything. Go to a guitar forum and ask who are some good guitarists to listen to, and a fight will break out within the first 5 replies, guaranteed.

Evan Mahoney
Sep-03-2007, 1:02pm
Do the Mando. It was my first string instrument. I played woodwinds, percussion and then brass before I chose the mandolin as my first attempt at strings. Guitar would be soooooooo, sooo easy after you learn just a little bit on the mando. Guitars are for lazy people who want to be a musician.

Sep-03-2007, 2:08pm
Guitars are for lazy people who want to be a musician.
Ouch. Wrong, wrong, wrong. WRONG with a capital "W".

Have you ever heard Andres Segovia?

Lazy people will always suck no matter what they play, be it a Stradivarius, Loar, or Steinway.

stevenmando
Sep-03-2007, 4:52pm
Hi fritz_monroe go to youtube and plug into the mandolin vidio,s you will find a lot of young and old guys and gals playing some great music and there are how to vidio,s to with all kinds of music the most resent one is of Paul MaCartney song Dance Tonight, one fellow show you how to play Dance tonight, check it out you night have your first lesson on the mandolin and have some fun good luck.

lastchair
Sep-03-2007, 5:08pm
If you like a more guitar-like sound, get/rent an oval hole mandolin. It tends to be more mellow and longer sustain.

Ross
Sep-05-2007, 12:36pm
One small piece of advice… be sure that whichever instrument you’re trying to learn on is of reasonably good playing quality. #I tried a borrowed mandolin about three years ago and it was a pretty poor instrument. #After three or four weeks of working at getting tunes out of the thing, I gave up. #A little over a year ago I was in a small local music shop that had a used mandolin on the wall and I took it down just for a lark. #I was amazed at how easily it played and what I could do with it. #I paid a hundred bucks for it and took six weeks of lessons to learn what not to do. Now I’ve upgraded to a more serious instrument and I’m playing Irish sessions in a pub every Monday night. #I almost let a lot of enjoyment pass me by because of an unplayable instrument.