PDA

View Full Version : Moonbeam mandolins

willem_e
Aug-30-2007, 8:56pm
I have reviewed previous threads about the moonbeams but did not find much in the way of actual hands on evaluation.

Any first hand experience out there with the instruments or dealings with the builder?

Scott Tichenor
Aug-30-2007, 9:45pm
Yes

Knot-Head
Aug-30-2007, 9:52pm
Well?

Scott Tichenor
Aug-30-2007, 9:56pm
I'll let someone else complete that thought.

Scott Tichenor
Aug-30-2007, 9:57pm
sorry

newbreedbrian
Aug-30-2007, 10:20pm
not touching this one. strange deja vu sensation http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

John Flynn
Aug-30-2007, 10:30pm
I don't know the whole story, but one thing I remember is that the Cafe' used to have various new screen names post, just gushing about how great the Moonbeams were, but it sure sounded like the posts were almost certainly shams originated by the people that were a part of, or close to, Moonbeam. Also, I was told by one of the employees of a music store I am close to that the store was approached in person by people representing Moonbeam, wanting the store to carry thier mandolins. The owner declined and the Moonbeam people were very rude about it. The owner did take a Moonbeam on consignment. I played it and was not impressed at all, especially for the price. I also didn't like the looks of it and I am NOT a traditionalist. There have been other allegations, but I am not close enough to them to feel confident repeating them.

With so many other quality choices out there, however, I can't imagine why anyone would even consider them. IMHO, thier instruments are overpriced, most of them look weird and their are believable allegations that they are not good to do business with. There are many other builders with great reps out there, so no matter what the truth is, I personally will steer clear.

Leevon DeCourley
Aug-31-2007, 12:43am
I live about 25 miles from the builder and I have pretty well the same thoughts as Johnny. I have played a handfull around at a local festival I didn't think they were worth nowhere near the price range being asked.

jim simpson
Aug-31-2007, 3:01pm
"...the store was approached in person by people representing Moonbeam, wanting the store to carry thier mandolins. The owner declined and the Moonbeam people were very rude about it".

Maybe they were Moonies!

Bill Van Liere
Aug-31-2007, 3:36pm
There was a green, A model Moonbeam at Elderly a while back that I played. Nothing special, but it seemed like a decent mandolin for thier asking price.

atetone
Sep-01-2007, 10:43am
Having followed the Moonbeam saga that transpired here a while ago, to me this comes down to the personal integrity and sales tactics of the builder.
To make a long story short,,, I wouldn't have one in my house.
In this world of "spin" tactics that we currently live in, I choose to the best of my abilities to keep it out of my mandolin activities.
There are plenty of quality builders of good moral character out there from whom to acquire a good mandolin.

Chris Biorkman
Sep-01-2007, 11:31am
I hear they have the look of the future and the sound of yesteryear. I have also heard that it is THE mandolin and that Moonbeam is the new Gilchrist.

sgarrity
Sep-01-2007, 11:36am
Darn it biorkman, ya beat me to it! LOL

neal
Sep-03-2007, 8:50am
This should be good enough to destroy whatever chance of selling Moonbeam has. I have no dog in the fight, but this is one of those "single out the bad man" topics, and do not think it appropriate to keep it going on and on, which... as you all know... it will. Let's nip it in the bud, eh Scott?