PDA

View Full Version : Dave Stuart OM's

pickinBob
May-25-2004, 10:46pm
Can anyone who has played these or owns one give me an opinion.

Dave Stuart's page (http://www.stuart.co.nz/)

The prices seem reasonable in US dollars and they look good.

craigtoo
May-27-2004, 3:55am
I'll go ahead and gush here...I'm sure there will be plenty on the Cittern list who will too.

Davy makes a fantastic instrument. A truly distinctive sound. a voice even. #I play a 22in OF Style. #English Walnut back and sides. Very simple. #If you do a google search on me "Craig Harbauer" you'll find a pic of me playing it last year on Stage with Dan Beimborn at Zoukfest. #

The thing which strikes me the most about his instruments is the playability. Davy makes the perfect neck for my hand. #

I've been lucky enough to acquire a decent Zouk collection (thanks to the weak Dollar...!) and it is absolutely in the same league as my SOS and Crump.

You can not go wrong purchasing a DS whether you are a pro (Andy Irvine Plays one) or a weekend hacker like myself...

Get one.
Stop Waiting, call Davy and put yourself on the list. (ok email is better the time difference is a killer...)

craig

dane
May-27-2004, 5:20am
Great maker. I had one of his bass-zouki's on order for 16 months (which was his standard wait time 2 years ago), but unfortunately, by the time I reached the top of the list, the plummeting US dollar had raised the price nearly 50% and I ended up backing off the purchase.

Wesley
May-28-2004, 12:13pm
I've been happy with mine too - I have an OB that I got two or three years ago. I really need to dig it out of the closet and play it more. A very nice OM but it blended too well with the other instruments in the group I play with. With two other guitars it would get a little lost so I've concentrated on my mandolin. So I guess it depends on the group setting you will use it in. What type of music do you play ? Will there be "room" for an octave mandolin or will it get lost? Sorry to sound negative - it's not the instrument - it's my application that's the problem. Dave makes one of the best OM's for the money.

steve V. johnson
May-28-2004, 2:58pm
Hey Craig,

I've been looking at Davy's website, thinking about a 22" complementary to my Crump B-II, which is the long one.
I love the Crump, but it is so big on the low end (which I also love) that it's better in our trio than in session, where it tangles with guitars a bit.

so I have a bunch of questions...

<<I play a 22in OF Style.

How did you choose the OF size?

<< English Walnut back and sides.

My Crump is rosewood, but I love the -idea- of walnut, tho I have experienced very few walnut instruments. How did you choose walnut, and can you tell me more about how it sounds to you?

<< The thing which strikes me the most about his instruments is the playability. Davy makes the perfect neck for my hand.>>

How wide is it at the nut? What is the shape of the back of the neck?

<< I've been lucky enough to acquire a decent Zouk collection (thanks to the weak Dollar...!) and it is absolutely in the same league as my SOS and Crump.>>

Excellent! Which Crump?

Thanks for any answers and being patient with my interrogation!

steveV

craigtoo
May-29-2004, 11:32am
Hey Steve...!
Here's my best shot at the answers...hope they help...

How did you choose the OF size?

Davy Said that #it had more "Zouk Overtones" so I picked that body shape. #I think the difference is subtle though.

How did I choose Walnut?
I asked Davy what he recommended. #He just loved this wood. #Every Zouk I own is so different in design that trying to identify how one specific feature changes the sound/playability etc. is next to impossible. #Having said that, let me try and give at least my idea...

I think the walnut Softens up the tone slightly, adds warmth. #

What's the nut width?
It's #38mm #right around 1.5 inches. #That's the nut width not the distance between the strings....

Which Crump?
B-1 # What a cannon. #A beautiful instrument...! #

As to a DSOM in a session, it holds up well. #It's real hard to lead a tune on an OM in a session. #It really gets lost when playing with a guitar player (or a guitar section like I've had at some sessions.) #But the DS has a distinctive voice that separates it from the sound. #And they are loud instruments #:-)

About the neck profile. #It's whatever Davy "normally" does. #Make sure he knows how you are going to be playing it. #What's your style? How big are your hands? #Just have an email dialogue. #(even if he doesn't answer, don't worry he reads the emails....)

Ok...hold on a minute...

go here...
http://homepage.mac.com/craigtoo/Menu3.html

click on "Download Tunes"

then download "StuartRicksMIX" #I just put up an MP3 of me playing Alabama Rick's. #Just the Stuart. #No effects nice and clean....(the recording..not the playing. :-) # )

"...being patient with my interrogation!"
Heck no...I live for this stuff! #Fire Away!

craig

pickinBob
May-29-2004, 7:24pm
Hey guys I've found several Dave Stuarts for sale in shops back east, around $1000. Is this a good deal?

pickinBob
May-29-2004, 7:30pm
OOPs, My bad here, I was searching for the links and it was Moon octaves and mandolins I meant. Sorry

steve V. johnson
May-30-2004, 3:05pm
Hey Craig,

Thanks for the good answers!

I have been hoping that a 22" oct mando would get in above the guitar(s) where my 24.75" Crump booms in with them...

I'm D/L'ing your tune now, thanks!

What's the instrument on the pix page with the Lowden-look
"viking-boat"-shaped pin bridge?

Nice website!

thx,
stv

craigtoo
Jun-04-2004, 12:22am
That is a Stevens Mandolin...Really it's a micro Zouk. #Real Full sound. #Beautiful craftsmanship. #Sadly...(for me) it may have to hit the auction block soon. #

Thanks for the comment on the website!

craig

Jun-05-2004, 8:19am
I played one at a festival not to long ago. I must say not bad at all!

pickinBob
Jun-06-2004, 11:42pm
Craig

Just listened to your tune. You really bust a move on that one! The Stuart sounds great too!

craigtoo
Jun-07-2004, 2:02am
Thanks for the kind words...! I hope it helped you make a decision...

craig