PDA

View Full Version : Cold Mountain sndtrk

Christine W
Feb-03-2004, 5:26am
I bought this cd and I was sorely dissappointed in it. There were only a few good songs on it. There are 4 or 5 tracks towards the end that are classical. I like classical music but not when I was expecting a more mountain/blurgrass music cd. I liked songs from the mountain much better.
I"m sorry and this is just my opinion so don't take offence but I think that is the worst wayferin stranger I have ever heard it has no soul.Couldn't they have gooten anyone else besides Jack white to do this. Any comments out there?

John Flynn
Feb-03-2004, 5:29am
Christine:

Thank you! You must be the only one who missed the "flame Mando Johnny" thread I started on this a while back: http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin....t=11442 (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=18;t=11442) Check it out! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

BTW, if you want to listen to what should have been the soundtrack, get the "Songs From the Mountain" CD.

Christine W
Feb-03-2004, 5:45am
Oh boy did I step in it now? I did miss that thread.

jflynnstl
Mando Johnny, "BTW, if you want to listen to what should have been the soundtrack, get the "Songs From the Mountain" CD. "

I have it and it's great that's why I was so eager to buy coldmountain.

Also before I get any flames I want to add that I come from the punk rock background. #I am all for people of other genres of music branching out and trying what thier souls ask of them. I just don't think (my opinion) his singing in particular was very soulful. As far as the others I like it , love allison krause, love reeltime traveler etc. Its just that Jack guy.

cutbait2
Feb-04-2004, 10:07am
i was disappointed by the "songs from the mountain" cd. which i purchased. nice clawhammer banjer and fiddle but overall been done better elsewhere. i think the next time i look for some authentic sounding old time music i'll buy a gillian welch cd (yes i've heard she's a californian, but shes got the right voice for it..........) or some early string band stuff, wade mainer, uncle dave,.......

John Flynn
Feb-04-2004, 11:50am
Another CD I would recommend by two people who also could have done a better job on the Cold Mountain soundtrack: "Call Your Dogs," by Jim and Kim Lansford. It has about the best old-time vocal harmonies I have ever heard and Jim does some tasty mando work on a couple of tracks. I'm pretty sure County Sales carries it.

John Ely
Feb-04-2004, 12:14pm
I just love Gillian Welch - she's absolutely one of my current favorites - but she isn't really authentic old time music. (That is not a criticism.) She has an old-time flavor, and, obviously is influenced by the music, but her melodies, harmonies and song structure are very modern in many ways. David Rawling's superb guitar playing can be very different from anything Maybelle Carter ever played. They may have connections to old time, but they have made significant changes.

cutbait2
Feb-04-2004, 3:50pm
i'll take your word for it John, i've only heard Gillian here and there, she does have that old time "quality" to her voice though

Michael H Geimer
Feb-04-2004, 5:05pm
"David Rawling's superb guitar playing can be very different from anything Maybelle Carter ever played."

Add in Doc Watson, and you've got my current list of fav guitarists. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

KevinM
Feb-05-2004, 1:32pm
In my view, Gillian and David are doing to old time music what the Brits did to the blues in the 1960s, a fresh synthesis. I think David has done alot of homework listening to Bill Monroe as well, since alot of his fills and runs are flavored very much like familiar Monroesque runs (even to the tone he gets out of his vintage Epiphone Olympic). I hope he puts out a guitar class DVD/book - when I talked to him a year or so back it he said he was either working on it or looking to work on it wiht Scott Nygaard.

KYGirl
Feb-05-2004, 5:23pm
I completely agree with Christine, I was extremely disappointed in the CD as well. #There are too many great bluegrass/folk singers out there to have picked Jack White to do 4-5 songs! #My 2 cents worth.

John Flynn
Feb-05-2004, 5:40pm
You guys are getting off way too easy! When I started a similar thread, I got flamed! Maybe its because I called White a "punk!" LOL!

Well, as much as I normally hate to do the "ET" gossip thing, someone on that other thread suggested that Jack White got the gig because he and Renee Zellweger were an item. Someone else said no, White was chosen before Zellweger was cast. But I just heard recently that Zellweger was actually one of the original investors in the film. So White may well have been "couch cast." Which also means that Renee needs to set her sights higher, IMHO. #At any rate, this should liven up the thread!

doanepoole
Feb-05-2004, 7:27pm
Am I living in a cave?...who is Jack White?

John Flynn
Feb-05-2004, 9:45pm
Jack White is a young rock star. His group, "The White Stripes" is just him on guitar and vocals and his sister playing drums. No bass. IMHO, she is not much of a drummer, BTW. Many people seem to like them. I generally have pretty wide tastes in music, but thier talent escapes me.

fangsdaddy
Feb-06-2004, 9:41am
hey mando johnny
there you go believing rolling stone again. the jack white/meg white brother/sister thing is false. they used to be married. they are now divorced. (do a search at gloriousnoise.com for scans of their marrage license & their divorce papers.) #personally, i like meg's drumming. in concert, she's a powerhouse.
btw, johnny---you were never flamed. i believe they call it " a frank exchange of views."
sam

Christine W
Feb-06-2004, 9:51am
A friend of mine gave me the white stripes cd because I was griping about the Cold Mountain Cd. He seems to think they are good and I should give them a chance. I haven't listened to it yet. I don't care for his voice.
On the Coldmountain CD, there is a song 6th or 7th track and to me it sounds like the Violent Femmes does old time music. I do like the track with the choir (9th song) the name escapes me but that's pretty cool. I think you guys discussed that on the other thread.

jflynnstl
Mando Johnny,
"You guys are getting off way too easy! When I started a similar thread, I got flamed! Maybe its because I called White a "punk!" LOL!"

Yeah I thought I got off way too easy too, whew! I'm not complaining.

mrbook
Feb-12-2004, 3:13am
A friend loaned me the Cold Mountain CD, and now he won't take it back.

Singing doesn't have to be perfect for me - I discovered the Harry Smith Anthology in the 60s, and realized almost anyone can sing (these guys sound like this and they're making records, I thought). If you sing like yourself and it sounds old-time it's probably okay; when you try to sound old-time it usually just sounds insincere, and that's what I hear on this CD. Some good playing once and a while, but I don't think it's very good music.

John Flynn
Feb-12-2004, 5:35am
there you go believing rolling stone again. the jack white/meg white brother/sister thing is false. they used to be married. they are now divorced. (do a search at gloriousnoise.com for scans of their marrage license & their divorce papers.) #personally, i like meg's drumming. in concert, she's a powerhouse.
btw, johnny---you were never flamed. i believe they call it " a frank exchange of views."

I don't read RS - ever. Sincere apologies to Ms. White however for the error on her relationship with Mr. white.

Continuing with the "frank exchange of views," we'll need to have to agree to disagree on her drumming. In fact, our standards for percussionists are just worlds apart. I saw her play a whole tune doing nothing more than single hits on the snare and one tom on the downbeat. No rolls, no cymbals, nothing interesting. It was not for a temporarary effect either. It did not enhance the tune. I could have done that and I am not a drummer! The worst drummer I ever played with in garage bands in my youth could beat circles around her. And let me tell you, that is setting the bar very, very low! It's depressing what passes for talent nowadays.

There are many groups that are just not to my taste, but I respect what they are doing. Then there are others where I have to wonder what anyone sees in them. The Stripes are in the second category for me. But I am glad you enjoy them. I guess someone has to or they wouldn't be popular.

Bottom line for this discussion is still that in my opinion and apparently some others, Jack was a poor choice for Cold Mountain and not surpirsingly, did a poor job at it. It was an important book that had huge implications for a type of traditional Amercian music that many people really care deeply about. Rather than running with that sub-theme, the filmmakers caved in to pop culture and economics to make a cheap sideshow out of the music.

Christine W
Feb-12-2004, 8:55am
Ok I went to go see the movie and I really liked it. I still don't understand Why Mr. White was in the movie at all. He only spoke about five words. I'm not slamming him at all he did a fine job, speaking his five words. Having him in the movie and soundtrack must have been just to reel the younger generation in. If it indeed introduces others to old time mountain music than I guess he is usefull, because he really didn't add anything to the movei or sndtrk in my opinion. I need to read the book now, to see what his actual part was supposed to be. My friend I went with thought he was hot (had to throw that in there I didn't want to be too negative towards him).

I hope someone out there can answere this question. During the gospel song they were lifting thier right arm up an down while singing. What significance does this have. Was it to keep time with the song or does it have spiritual significance. I thought that sceen was great and I love the song. If anyonw could help out I'd appreciate it.
See at least I ended it on a positive note. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Feb-12-2004, 9:14am
I watched the A&E special and thought Jack White's performance pretty bad. Then I saw the movie and thought his version in the movie okay.

I have no problem with the producers casting someone popular in another field to try to build their audience. Its their money at risk and no one is making anyone go see the movie.

Obviously, just my opinion...

John Flynn
Feb-12-2004, 9:19am
Christine:

As was discussed on the "other" Cold Mountain thread, that is "shape note singing" also known as "fasola" and "sacred harp." It is a unique traditional form of religious music developed for rural congregations that did not have instruments or professional chior directors. I am not an expert, but I am in a band with a guy who is. I know that the arm movements are part of the method and seem to be the equivalent of "conducting" in more traditional music. There seems to be no designated conductor, though. Each person takes turns leading, or takes turns having a part in leading

I have heard that the actual singing on the soundtrack was the real deal by an actual congregation from the southern states. The actors you saw doing the movements were just actors, so the motions you saw were only a mimic of the real thing.

Russ(String-Alley)
Feb-12-2004, 9:30am
That may have been a visual aid for the singers to follow. there is a ton of Sacred Harp Music on there, an old style of notation went along with it as well, While I havent studied up on it much, I was turned on to it by the drummer of the band Devia (while rock related, our bands get booked together often...we are completly un-related music wise..but....go figure), His brother is Tim Ericksen who had a major role in the making of the soundtrack. There was a full tread about this on the cafe, with links and all. I have to go back and have a peek. I'll post Tim's link when I find it.

cheers!
Russ

Christine W
Feb-12-2004, 11:03am
Thanks guys
Mando Johnny, I did read the last thread I'll have to re-read it like Russ said.
I figured it was music related and not spiritual but I found it really facinating. I'llhave to look into it further.

fangsdaddy
Feb-13-2004, 8:59am
hey mando johnny,
great idea. let's agree to disagree on the subject of the artistic validity of jack white. it's the sensible thing.
re: meg white's drumming ability. i have two final words to say on that matter:
maureen tucker.
the defense rests it's case.
peace.
sam

John Flynn
Feb-13-2004, 9:49am
Re: maureen tucker

Sure, in the sense they are both mediocre female drummers whose main claim to fame is riding the coat tails of a counterculture guitarist/singer. I get it.

fangsdaddy
Feb-13-2004, 11:17am
johnny----
what does the drummers gender have to do w/their playing ability?
second, these days jack white is all over mtv & the grammys & popular media. he #is hardly counterculture. & i suspect you missed the pbs "american masters" special on lou reed a couple of years ago.
third. while lou reed wrote the majority of the material in the velvet underground, john cale, sterling morrison & mo tucker were the sound that made that band imho so important and influential.
forth, i suspect we have different aesthetics twards the role of a drummer in a rock context. in my previous career as an indie rocker the type of drummers i've prefered were from the charlie watts school. not neil peart.
sam

GVD
Feb-13-2004, 11:53am
fangsdaddy Posted on Feb. 13 2004, 10:17
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i suspect we have different aesthetics twards the role of a drummer in a rock context. in my previous career as an indie rocker the type of drummers i've prefered were from the charlie watts school. not neil peart.
sam

I'm with you fangsdaddy. Charlie gets the job done just fine and never feels the need to show off.

GVD

John Flynn
Feb-13-2004, 12:37pm
what does the drummers gender have to do w/their playing ability?
Nothing, nor did I imply that it did. Instead of making a point, you said "Two words..maureen tucker" leaving us all to figure out what your point was. I gave you a list of all things I think Mo has in common with Ms. White and I stand by that list. I think both of them have succeeded in being mediocre on thier own merits, without regard to thier gender.

As to Mr. White's media exposure, that gets right to my point. Media exposure is no indication of quality. In fact, the mass media has become a vast wasteland of low talent "stars" and I think no one proves it better than JW. As to Lou Reed, I think he woud prefer the "counterculture" moniker and wear it proudly. His stuff was great at one time, but it would be almost an insult to infer that he is "mainstream."

Charlie Watts is a different case, IHMO. He is a very competent drummer in a great band.

fangsdaddy
Feb-13-2004, 1:20pm
johnny, johnny, johnny...
the maureen tucker/meg white reference is simple. but i'll explain it to you. they are both rock solid drummers who drive their bands using non-traditional rock drumming techniques. you were the one who brought up the gender issue. your post would have carried the same meaning w/out the word "female". the fact that they're female is meaningless to this discussion or to any discussion of a musicians playing ability.
lou reed has been in the public eye for close to 40 years. that longevity alone has made him pretty mainstream. re: pbs specials & starring in mass market honda television commercials & the licensing of "walk on the wild side" to various advertisers just shows his acceptance as a mainstream kind of guy by the public.
if you don't like the mass media, just ignore it. our tv sits unplugged in the garage.
& i'm glad you like charlie watts. finally, something we can agree on.
sam

Russ(String-Alley)
Feb-15-2004, 3:22am
heads up!! more info:
http://www.cnn.com/2004....ex.html (http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/02/14/sacred.harp.revival.ap/index.html)

Christine W
Feb-16-2004, 10:33am
Thanks Russ,
Thats awesome.