PDA

View Full Version : Poe #14

Steve Cantrell
Aug-27-2007, 5:26pm
...and ready to land at my doorstep on Wednesday. I even took the day off.

Steve Cantrell
Aug-27-2007, 5:27pm
Back

Steve Cantrell
Aug-27-2007, 5:28pm
Headstock

Steve Cantrell
Aug-27-2007, 5:29pm
Headstock back

Steve Cantrell
Aug-27-2007, 5:30pm
Another of the back

Steve Cantrell
Aug-27-2007, 5:34pm
There are sound clips of this mandolin made just after it was strung up at poestrings.com. I think it's going to be a monster.

Amandalyn
Aug-27-2007, 5:43pm
A really classy look- enjoy & let us know how it sounds.
Teri
(Poe #8)

blawson
Aug-27-2007, 5:51pm
Great back!

Steve-o
Aug-27-2007, 6:12pm
At long last... Looks fabulous Steve. Enjoy the moment and keep us posted.

F5G WIZ
Aug-27-2007, 6:55pm
Steve, looks wonderful, #love the block inlays and the one peice back, the back reminds me of the grain seen on a lot of the loars. #Which model is #14? #Is it a Grand model with upgraded block inlay and one peice back? #Enjoy.

After going to Andy's web page I see that he has that information on the webpage.

Darrin

Steve Cantrell
Aug-27-2007, 7:00pm
Yeah, I decided to go all in with the Grand and just got lucky on the back. When I saw it non-stain I really liked it, but never thought it would turn out that good. Andy is shipping tomorrow and I guess I'll just wring my hands until it gets here. All in all, a really fun process and I couldn't be happier that I did it.

F5G WIZ
Aug-27-2007, 7:18pm
Andy usually sets them up with really low action, depending on your playing style you may need to tweek it a bit to get it where you like it. I play pretty heavy handed so I raised the action quite a bit.

John_Bennett
Aug-27-2007, 7:18pm
You just took one day off for that?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Dude, that's worth taken a week off for!!! MINIMUM!!!!!

Freagin a sweet!!!!

Congrats!!!

Steve Cantrell
Aug-27-2007, 7:27pm
Actually...I could get sick at any minute. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif I like my action less than manly--really low--so I'm thinking this might be right for me. I've got a good setup guy nearby, though, if shipping should rattle it around.

Steve Cantrell
Aug-27-2007, 7:59pm
One or two more I thought I'd post.

Steve Cantrell
Aug-27-2007, 8:01pm
Two

F5G WIZ
Aug-27-2007, 8:43pm
beautiful scroll work!

pjlama
Aug-27-2007, 9:56pm
Congrats! Beautiful, can't wait to hear how you like it.

bradeinhorn
Aug-27-2007, 10:01pm
simply mahvelous

bgjunkie
Aug-27-2007, 10:02pm
All those looks, and it sounds great too! Congrats.

tattiemando
Aug-28-2007, 7:26am
Your mandolin is so beautiful in every way. The block inlay is perfect. It reminds me of Sam Bush's mandolin. I love the scooped fretboard. The woods used look amazing.The stain is so much like a Loar. I hope your mandolin is everything you wish for.

Steve Cantrell
Aug-28-2007, 7:38pm
Thanks for the compliments guys!! Tell me this doesn't hurt: Since I live in a rural area, this mandolin won't arrive until Thursday. Sometimes I hate the country.

swampy
Aug-28-2007, 8:01pm
Dude I'm jealous and sad. I moved about two weeks ago, so unless you plan on driving a thousand miles or so, I won't get to hear it or play it in person. A sad day for me! Congrats to you though it is absolutely fantastic. Can't wait to hear your reviews on the sound! On the flip side, the gal we're staying with has a '24 A4 with a virzi that I play every evening. Its awesome!

Steve Cantrell
Aug-28-2007, 8:23pm
That definitely should buoy you're spirits a bit. That's a definitely a rare bird. You should start dropping hints...Make sure to keep me informed on your adventures as a transplant. You stay up there too long and you'll be ordering unsweetened tea. That's just plain worrisome.

Kevin Briggs
Aug-28-2007, 9:23pm
Looks saweet!

I tried to go hear the clips, but the sight is down right now.

mandomick
Aug-28-2007, 9:28pm
Very fine looking mandolin for sure. The back of the peghead must be like glass judging by the reflection of the tuners (silver Waverly?)nice. Fine indeed.

Steve Cantrell
Aug-29-2007, 11:29am
Mick, those are Waverlys. Never had a mandolin with these on it, so I guess we'll see how they live up to the hype. I also went with the James tailpiece, which is also a first for me. Now if it would just get here...

Dean Henderson
Aug-29-2007, 11:43am
Steve,

#14 is a real beauty...I know you'll enjoy it.

Andy has been communicating with me at my office email address. I have been out of the office since Friday, and I won't be around the rest of the week to sign for it...so to avoid having #15 sit in a truck all weekend, I'm going to have to wait until next week... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Steve Cantrell
Aug-29-2007, 2:05pm
Thank you, US Postal Service. I'm just sick over this. The mandolin is just as beautiful as I had hoped it would be. At some point during shipping, it took a fall hard enough to crack one of the feet on the Calton case. The result is a headstock scroll crack. Great, huh?

Lane Pryce
Aug-29-2007, 3:00pm
It was shipped with insurance ----- right? I feel your pain man. I'm sure Andrew can get it repaired to be as good as new. Lp

jasona
Aug-29-2007, 3:23pm
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

At least its not a structural problem, although one always wants new to be NEW. I'm sorry to hear it nonetheless Steve.

F5G WIZ
Aug-29-2007, 3:32pm
Steve, I'm so sorry to hear about the damage. That's just horrible. Wow it must have really taken a fall to have cracked one of those feet, especially the way andy packages those mando's. As you probably already know, I dropped mine back on Easter and broke the head scroll off. Andy fixed it right up. Send it back to him so he can give it a good look over for internal damage. You can't tell mine was broken unless you get really close to it.

Chris Biorkman
Aug-29-2007, 3:44pm
OMG, that's terrible! What are you going to do? I would want another one made from scratch if it were me and it was insured properly. I feel your pain. That thing is beautiful.

hendrix2
Aug-29-2007, 4:15pm
Wow, such a beautiful mandolin. I really would freak out if something like that would happen to me!
Good luck.

Steve-o
Aug-29-2007, 4:34pm
Yikes. That's terrible news Steve. I just got off the phone with Andy, but did not know about the shipping mishap. The last thing you want to do is ship it back for repair. I hope you get it resolved quickly.

Steve Cantrell
Aug-29-2007, 5:53pm
I appreciate the thoughts, guys. If anything, the pictures really don't do it justice. It was insured for its full value, and I went to speak with the postmaster about it. He said that the postal policy is to reimburse for the full value, not partial, and that the mandolin would then be destroyed. I explained that this wasn't a clock-radio, it was essentially one of a kind, and while the damage is unfortunate, it wasn't enough to me to see the whole mandolin destroyed...so I guess it will be repaired. My father restores antique furniture, and he's coming by tonight to have a look. He can likely repair it and make it unnoticeable, but it's definitely one of those "point of the thing" issues--they had it for 24 hours and managed to break it. Andy Poe has offered to repair it as well, but at the moment I'm a little hesitant to see it shipped anywhere. This is definitely not the builder's fault. He packed it well and it was in a secure case, but it was dropped with enough force to accordion the box on one end pretty badly. It was clearly marked "FRAGILE" all over the box.

Dean Henderson
Aug-29-2007, 6:15pm
Steve,

That really sucks...

Now I'm nervous. Wish I could drive to Missouri, instead of having #15 shipped...

F5G WIZ
Aug-29-2007, 7:50pm
Steve, unless your Dad is proficient at french polish I would send it back to Andy. Like I said he fixed mine and re french polished the finish to where it is barely noticable. I'm sure he would make it a priority to get it back to you quickly. I understand your reservations about using the PO again but I doubt this would happen twice. You might want to go ahead and insure it through your own insurance company, that way you won't have to pay the Post office insurance and if in the unlikely event there happened to be anymore damage, they would cover the repair price and not just the full amount. I doubt they would destroy that mandolin. I'm sure it would end up on the street somewhere. Again, sorry about what happened to your mando, it turned a joyous day into a miserable one I'm sure.

Steve Cantrell
Aug-29-2007, 8:10pm
Oh, I'm with you there Darrin. The idea was just to get it back together so it doesn't break all the way off and pull the binding off the headstock. My Dad does a very nice French polish--but he's not an instrument builder or maker. It will definitely go back to Andy as soon as I can afford the insured shipping both ways...I wasn't anticipating having to do it again so soon. he actually just finished putting it back together and did an excellent job--you can't really tell unless you're scrutinizing it closely. I would like to have the whole overlay replaced at some point though so you can't tell at all. I would like to say this for sure--I played it all afternoon and it's a HOSS. Excellent mandolin.

Steve Cantrell
Aug-29-2007, 9:44pm
With all of my moaning about the break, I don't feel like I've said enough about how well this mandolin has been made, and how good it sounds already. It is set-up with very low action, but has unbelievable volume even with the strings that low. The tone is consistent and not at all muddy like some of my mandolins have been. I don't feel like I'm having to finesse a clean tone out of it--it's just there. The D and A strings in particular have that woody punch that I've been looking for. It should be ready to play again tomorrow, and then I'll give it some time to settle in and I'll write a more thorough review and also post some sound clips. NFI with the builder, of course, but it was money well spent.

mandomick
Aug-29-2007, 11:00pm
Mick, those are Waverlys. Never had a mandolin with these on it, so I guess we'll see how they live up to the hype. I also went with the James tailpiece, which is also a first for me. Now if it would just get here...
I took delivery of BRW #50 two years ago in June. It was my first mando with the James/Waverly combo and I've no regrets about plunking down the extra cash for those two "luxuries".

F5G WIZ
Aug-29-2007, 11:43pm
Hey, you have the same color case I have. When my scroll broke, I didn't even realize it because although the binding did seperate, it held the scroll in place. I didn't notice the break until after I came off the stage and gave it a good once over. See pics below.

F5G WIZ
Aug-29-2007, 11:44pm
Another

F5G WIZ
Aug-29-2007, 11:48pm
Looks great in the case by the way. Check with your insurance company and you won't have to save for the insurance on the shipping, my insurance covers my instruments no matter who's possesion they are in. Priority mail only cost me 17 bucks to ship it back to Andy. Glad you are happy with the tone of your new Poe, it will only get better.

Steve Cantrell
Aug-31-2007, 6:35pm
Wow, Darrin. Mine must've been feeling that pain. The break is almost identical. Here's before and after my Dad's repair, which really does look good. I will have the whole overlay replaced sometime soon, but I just can't send it away just yet. Waited too long...and this mandolin has the sound.

Steve Cantrell
Aug-31-2007, 6:36pm
The after.

Steve Cantrell
Aug-31-2007, 6:37pm
Sorry for the pic qualities---not exactly the artiste in that department. The break isn't so noticeable and is stable for now. A few months and it will go in for repair. For now, I'm going to break it in.

Amandalyn
Aug-31-2007, 8:49pm
Steve- sorry about your mishap, at least it wasn't any worse, and I understand you not wanting to send it back right away, now that you've played it. Well so much for Calton cases.... I never liked them any way.
Welcome to the Poe club.... enjoy,
Teri
(Poe #8):)

F5G WIZ
Aug-31-2007, 9:26pm
Yeah, welcome to the Poe club and the even more exclusive "Broken Scrolled Poe Club" We don't have people wantin' in that club to much! Feel free to borrow my tag line if you want! Yes that seems to be the weakest point of the scroll. Even taking a hard hit like it must have sustained, I wonder why the scroll impacted the inside of the case. Mine doesn't seem to come even close to touching the inside of the case. Andy refrench polished the overlay to where you really can't see the crack. It is noticable on the top edge because it is blonde in color. Had it been a darker color like yours it would be much less noticable. If it ever comes loose again I may get a new overlay.