PDA

View Full Version : Jd crowe and ns

AlanN
Aug-26-2007, 6:12am
Bobby Sloane on fiddle, who else?

Flint Hill Special (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTv6CAmCO8I&mode=related&search=)

Russ Jordan
Aug-26-2007, 6:45am
Wendy Miller on mandolin.

earthsave
Aug-26-2007, 9:33am
Last year and for the past many years it was Dwight McCall (tenor/mando), Rickey Wasson (guitar/lead), Ron Stewart (fiddle), Harold Nixon (bass).

Russ Jordan
Aug-26-2007, 11:33am
Alan was not referring to present personnel.

I think the band on the video is Crowe(banjo), Wendy Miller (mandolin), Bobby Sloane (fiddle), Randy Hayes (bass), and maybe Tony King on guitar.

AlanN
Aug-26-2007, 11:47am
Thanks, Russ. Tony King, yeah.

Ken Berner
Aug-26-2007, 12:30pm
When I saw the band for the first time a couple of years ago, I was blown away by Ron Stewart and his fiddlin'; what a fine musician he is! The entire band was great and provided plenty of entertainment.

earthsave
Aug-26-2007, 4:01pm
Sorry I didnt notice that Flint Hill special link below. JD still had red in his hair back then.

Tom Mullen
Aug-26-2007, 5:41pm
Great link.....a whole buncha good Bluegrass videos there.

f5loar
Aug-30-2007, 11:32pm
Since Tony King and I were in a band together shortly before this time I can certify that is indeed Tony King from Wythville, NC. He actually lived with me and my family. Tony left my band in 1982 in time to team up with some superpickers at the Knoxville World's Fair in summer 1982. From there he went with NewSouth and after a few years there went onto to become formally engaged to Wynonna Judd of The Judds fame. After the "Wy" throwed him out from the Judd Farm in TN he was part of a trio of guys with a few major hits in country music, Matthews, Wright and King. From there he bounced around bands like Holy Dunn and a few others before becoming a tenor singer in Brooks and Dunn. Last I heard he was still with them.
Tony was one fine Rice style guitar picker. In the New South clip he is shown playing his '34 D28 which he bought while in the band Wild Country with me. I recall he paid $3000 for it in '82 and that was a lot of dough for D28 prewar back then. Wendy Miller is playing the mandolin he built from a kit. Crowe is playing his '34 Gold Granada banjo which he later sold to a super picker in Atlanta.

AlanN
Aug-31-2007, 4:08am
cool, Tom.

Stephanie Reiser
Aug-31-2007, 5:33am
Tom, I love all of that B-G historical knowledge that you occasionally bestow upon us. Really great stuff. You should think about writing a book.
Thanks!

AlanN
Aug-31-2007, 6:18am
Tony King is on the great JD record called Straight Ahead, maybe from 1980 or so. It has the fine tune on it called Runaround, written by a guy named Doyle Lawson (I heard a BG radio guy one time call him Doiley Lawson). Sam Bush on mandolin.

f5joe
Aug-31-2007, 4:45pm
Tom could and should write a book. He IS my bluegrass hero.

Rroyd
Aug-31-2007, 7:26pm
Tom,
I was curious about your statement about Wendy Miller's
mandolin that he was playing in the video with JD.
When I met Wendy Miller in 1973, he was playing a borrowed mandolin with Larry Sparks, and was building one as they travelled on the bus. He said he had been playing one that he had made, but it been destroyed in a bar brawl while the band was taking a break. He said all he could do was watch while one of the participants reached over and grabbed his mandolin off its stand and smash it over another fellow's head. Were they kits like we now know, or just sets of wood to be cut, sawed, and carved? Or did he also build some from scratch?

f5loar
Sep-03-2007, 6:53pm
Seems he told me it was a kit mandolin he put together.
But then again could be a borrowed one in that video. I only saw him a few times with Crowe. Looks like a kit mandolin to me. What is he doing now?

Chris Miller
Oct-11-2010, 4:03pm
Wendy (my Dad) built this mandolin in 1974 from scratch in our basement in Dayton Ohio back in 1974. He gave me (Chris Miller) this mandolin on my 16th Birthday. I gave it back to him about a year ago and took a newer mandolin that he made. He still has this mandolin today but doesnt play it. He now plays a Red Diamond mandolin.

re simmers
Oct-11-2010, 4:47pm
JD always has a great supporting cast.

Runaround is a great instrumental by Doyle, but I don't think I've heard Doyle play it on the mandolin.

Bob