PDA

View Full Version : Not happy with new mandolin

elvisNoir
Aug-23-2007, 12:01pm
I need some suggestions on how to proceed with this situation. I am not sure what is going on with the builder. It seems like anyone who would push this out the door would be disinclined to make it right.

It seemed like he just wanted to get this over with--he previously had to start the top over when he found that the wood he had selected was unsatisfactory, so I can understand not wanting to start a new top when it was chipped, but... not a good fix. As for the overall poor quality of the finish, and the damage to the scroll...

On Monday, I drove a couple of hours to pick up my new mandolin from the builder. As I arrived the mando was layed out on a kitchen table with some sandpaper, tuners, used strings, and the wrong tailpiece (the least of my problems).

The instrument wasn't actually "done", contrary to what he had said #the previous week. He spent almost the whole visit hastily working on it, so I could pick a few notes before I left.

I didn't have my glasses on for most of the visit, and I only had my hands on it for a minute to play it, so I couldn't examine the mando in detail. Into the case it went and away we went. Well, the pictures explain most of this...

I am having trouble with the pictures but I will describe what you will see once I get it figured out. The actual condition is worse than the pics can portray...
1. a chip that was poorly reglued and finished over
2. top and back covered with scuffs and sanding scratches
3. the scroll is poorly finished, and the part that faces the neck is heavily gouged and damaged--parts are just missing.

I could sure use some suggestions on how to proceed with this builder. He is a small but recognizable builder to those on this forum. Help appreciated.

elvisNoir
Aug-23-2007, 12:04pm
another picture
Chip on top, not well repaired it seems to me, before it was finished...

mandofiddle
Aug-23-2007, 12:05pm
Boy, I think I would either ask to have a replacement made as this isn't satisfactory, or ask for my money back. If he "stands behind his product" then he should have no issue with giving your money back and selling it on the cafe. All this is just my opinion of course, but if I wasn't happy with it I would want it to be made right.

mrmando
Aug-23-2007, 12:06pm
If you like the way it plays, negotiate a discount with the builder, keep it, and tell your friends you got the new Distressed model. If the negatives will prevent you from keeping the instrument, then return it to the builder for a full refund.

bradeinhorn
Aug-23-2007, 12:08pm
didn't he have a satisfaction guarantee of some sort?? for example, the arrangement I have with a builder currently building me a mandolin is basically, if you don't like it, i'll make you a new one. you shouldn't be required to pay for something that is unsatifactory. the pictures you posted certainly looks like a rush job with little attention to detail. not sure what is going on with that part of the top by the tp. not sure who he was trying to fool....

red7flag
Aug-23-2007, 12:09pm
What you show in the picture would not be to me acceptable. Looking at the picture, I thought that it was a joke picture talking about distressing that went out of control. To say the work is amatuerish would be too kind. I would take the instrument back. If he would not accept it, I would turn this over to an attorney. If that sounds cold, you are correct.
Tony

elvisNoir
Aug-23-2007, 12:11pm
another pic

testore
Aug-23-2007, 12:13pm
There's a huge problem with the chipped area.It will never be right. I would not give any more money and would ask for my money back. It doesn't look at all like a professional job. You are already dissatisfied and it won't get any better. In those pics I see a lot of things very wrong. Those are cracks I see in the top, maybe 3 of them. That's a bad place for cracks. The neck looks like it has problems too. There are so many VERY GOOD mandos out there these days you don't have to settle for that.

mdlorenz
Aug-23-2007, 12:16pm
Take it back.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-23-2007, 12:17pm
I hope it was cheap.

sgarrity
Aug-23-2007, 12:17pm
That's a hatchet job if I've ever seen one. Take it back immediately!! Don't wait around or the situation will only get worse. There are too many good, honest builders that will build you a great instrument for your money.

elvisNoir
Aug-23-2007, 12:19pm
another pic

bradeinhorn
Aug-23-2007, 12:20pm
i'm sure you'll get your money back. if he as any sense, he'll know that public exposure here will won't be good for business.

bradeinhorn
Aug-23-2007, 12:21pm
holy squirrel cage batman!....it keeps getting worse.

Scott Tichenor
Aug-23-2007, 12:25pm
I've stated this before, that I'm not going to allow this forum to be used as a tool to berate others, which appears to be the purpose of this being started. We've all seen the pictures. Now I'd suggest you direct your communication towards working out a solution between buyer and seller.