PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on an eastman (505, 605, 805d)

Rhombuss
Aug-20-2007, 7:12pm
I've been a bowlback player for the past few months (thanks to these forums) and I'm feeling the urge to grab an A-style. I don't have an extremely restrictive budget, but getting "value" for something under $1000 would be a plus. I've searched around and it seems the general consensus for entry-level mandolins resides with Michael Kelly and Eastman, primarily. It also seems the majority prefer the tone of Eastman mandolins over the MK price-equivalents.

With that said, I'm eyeing the Eastman MD505, MD605 and MD805D. Unlike most, I actually find the two-point versions the most aesthetically pleasing, however the A-style is fine with me as well. Since I'm on somewhat of a "budget", there's no real justification for me to get an F-style and pay for the additional physical features.

Locally, a store in Toronto (12th Fret) sells the MD505 for $630CDN ($600 USD), the MD605 for $870CDN ($830 USD), and the MD805D for $1200CDN ($1140 USD). With these prices in mind, my tendency would be to get the MD505.

I've found one of Eastman's distributors in Virginia (Poky's Music, if anyone can comment on them as well, it'd be appreciated) and their prices for new instruments are quite a bit lower than the MSRP. They're selling the MD605 for $500 USD, and the MD805D for $900 USD. Now with these prices, I'd almost tend towards the MD605, considering it's priced lower than a local MD505, I wouldn't have to pay the sales tax, although shipping (and possibly customs charges) would apply.

Also, I've discovered that the Mandolin Store is selling a used MD805D for $800. Again, no sales tax but shipping required. Like I stated before, I find the 2-point most pleasing, but it's not a necessity and shouldn't be a determinate. I'm considering it mainly for the fact that it's 30% less than what I could get locally.

I've also taken a look at Gianna's page here (http://www.giannaviolins.com/esmando/type/A.html) that has a nice rundown of the differences between the various models. Unless I'm mistaken, the differences are all wood finish and hardware related. Is there anything that discerns these mandolins that would actually affect the tonal quality etc.?

With all this considered, I'm still leaning towards the MD605 from Poky's Music (unless someone can direct me to an even cheaper source). Would the premium I'd pay to purchase it locally be justified with the convenience of having a local luthier/repairshop incase something does go awry? Albeit, I believe Eastman has a lifetime warranty on their products, so that might be a non-issue.

Comments or recommendations are appreciated! Thanks in advance.

LoneStarMandolin
Aug-20-2007, 11:40pm
just got my 515 (F style) from Dave at the Mandolin Store. I just don't think you can go wrong there - you get a great price (with shipping usually included) and you get his set up for your mandolin. you also get a high level of confidence that you're not getting junk. the Mandolin Store is very well spoken of here and you can now add me to that list of pleased folks.

jasona
Aug-20-2007, 11:55pm
Buy local, and get it from the folks at 12th Fret. If you need subsequent set up tweeking, they will be the ones to do it. Heck, the Stones trust them with their gear. David set my Kentucky up right when I bought it from him.

JHo
Aug-21-2007, 12:06am
I got my 615 from Gianna Violins almost two years ago now, and I'm still very satisfied with it.

As for model designations (5xx, 6xx, etc.), I do believe the differences are only cosmetic. I've heard of some lower end Eastmans that have "outperformed" higher end ones, so if you're buying new, see if you can try a few.

I would have probably been content with a 5xx series, but with my 615 I got full binding, the oblong case (instead of shaped) and in that particular case, a varnished finish, though the majority that I've seen have been lacquered.

bjc
Aug-21-2007, 10:16am
I agree with Jason, I've never really been into looks of an insturment...well, maybe I wouldn't buy a pink mandolin, but I have a 515, 614 and 605...and I love them all...my favorite is the 605 and I bought it used...thanks Randy!

When I see how much the price increases with no trace-able tonal improvement, I'd go locally and play 'em...I bought my first two from Steve Perry and am very happy...I don't really have anywhere locally to go...stay with the 500's and 600's unless looks are really that important...

Just my 2 cents

Kero
Aug-21-2007, 10:43am
Buy local, and get it from the folks at 12th Fret. If you need subsequent set up tweeking, they will be the ones to do it. Heck, the Stones trust them with their gear. David set my Kentucky up right when I bought it from him.
Absolutly! Grant is a helluva nice guy, a real pro to deal with.

Steve Ostrander
Aug-21-2007, 2:23pm
I bought both of my mandos from The Mandolin Store and I highly recommend them. I think the Eastman is the best mando for under 1K. I beleive that the higher end Eastman models are just fancier aesthetics, but I could be wrong. Ask Dennis at TMS, he'll give you a straight answer. BTW, I think they ship free over $200.

bradeinhorn
Aug-21-2007, 2:33pm
though i have played some nice f holed eastmans, i personally have never been crazy about any eastman oval holes i've played. also have a buddy who bought one and was quite unpleased with it. i'd try before buying or buy used. in your budget, you might consider a breedlove quartz oval hole used. they are well under 1000. or even a big muddy if you want to go the flat top route. tonally i think they'll give you more. or, better yet wait to find an old gibson a jr. or pump your budget up a couple hundred and find a jr. snakehead. you will be much happier.

Rhombuss
Aug-21-2007, 4:23pm
Thanks for the comments, guys. I am definitely going with the A-style, no doubt about that. My current dilemma, however, is whether or not to get the MD505 locally for $630 CDN ($600 USD), or get the MD605 from Poky's Music for $500 USD. Is that price for the MD605 even standard? The Mandolin Store sells it for $760 USD, how can there be that much of a difference in price?

I understand the appeal of getting it locally, and apparently there are some Torontonians (or GTA'ers) in this thread that have had positive experiences at 12th Fret. But if Poky's Music really sells the MD605 for $500 USD (which has been confirmed through emails), isn't that a little hard to pass-up?

jasona
Aug-21-2007, 6:26pm
Other things add into the final price. Shipping you should add $50 or so. GST too. Brokerage fees run another $50, unless it comes via UPS, then the sky is the limit. Oh, and duty, since its made in China. Yes, its a great price in comparison, but judge the final take home prices. A lot of the above is rolled into the 12th Fret price, so that is why it looks higher.

Rhombuss
Aug-21-2007, 7:16pm
Other things add into the final price. Shipping you should add $50 or so. GST too. Brokerage fees run another $50, unless it comes via UPS, then the sky is the limit. Oh, and duty, since its made in China. Yes, its a great price in comparison, but judge the final take home prices. A lot of the above is rolled into the 12th Fret price, so that is why it looks higher.
Well, even so:

Shipping was quoted to be about $30 USD. If I buy it locally, I'd have to pay the 14% GST/PST combination, whereas from Poky's I wouldn't have to pay the state sales tax.

So, as a final price comparison:

Local MD605
= $870 x 1.14 = $992 CAD

Local MD505
= $630 x 1.14 = $718 CAD

Poky MD605
= $500 USD x 1.07 (GST if charged, not a guarantee) + $30 shipping + $50 (customs) = $615 USD or $650 CAD

When it's broken down like that, it's hard to ignore the price difference. But maybe instead of comparing a local MD605 to a shipped MD605, perhaps I should be comparing a local MD505 and a shipped MD605 (since they're much closer in price?). And that $50 customs charge is probably on the low side, I can see that easily being $100.

Still... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

jasona
Aug-21-2007, 10:02pm
Is that other 605 used?

Still, looks like you've made up your mind. Let us know how it works out!

Greenmando
Aug-21-2007, 10:10pm
I just have to add a pic of mine since you mentioned two points. I have seen a few used ones under a grand.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/ferretkona/Mandolins/804d4.jpghttp://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/ferretkona/Mandolins/804d2.jpg

Rhombuss
Aug-21-2007, 10:22pm
Is that other 605 used?

Still, looks like you've made up your mind. Let us know how it works out!
The store owner said it was new, that's what has me so puzzled. Haven't made up my mind yet, I'm probably going to ask a few more questions just to make sure I'm getting an Eastman, not an Eastmon or otherwise http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif.

Greenmando, that's a nice instrument. There's something about the two-point style that appeals to me more than the F. Am I the only one? BTW - the shag carpet adds a nice touch http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif.