PDA

View Full Version : Ry Cooder

kmmando
May-25-2004, 10:13am
All fairly quiet on the Cooder scene. Any rumours or gossip on new projects, recordings, gigs, DVDs?
Still rate him as one of the finest mandolin heroes. Only wish we could get more sight of him.
Kevin Macleod

plunkett5
Jun-07-2004, 11:15am
I agree. I just picked up a set of live concert CDs that included some great solo mando on some little known Sleepy John songs. Ry really took the Yank Rachel style and ran with it. I guess til he comes up with new stuff on mandolin, we'll just have to dig deeper into the older stuff.

Spruce
Jun-07-2004, 11:37am
"I just picked up a set of live concert CDs that included some great solo mando on some little known Sleepy John songs."

Yeah, the live stuff is where Ry's mando work really shines...
The mandolin tends to get buried in the studio recordings...

I have a live recording from '79 or so in Osaka, Japan of Ry and David Lindley going after it...
The combination of duo lap steel (Rickenbacker through a Deluxe cranked) and mandolin (a fingerpicked F4) is a great combo...

Ry's really a wonderful, underrated mando player....

plunkett5
Jun-07-2004, 11:46am
Spruce/Bruce- That set from Japan is one of my all time fav's. Even Lindley's voice is fun to listen to. I never saw Ry live solo, so I missed the mandolin playing. Saw Little Village where he played electric mandola or OM, and saw him with his bands often, with no mando. Loved every show. He is a true genius.

Jim M.
Jun-07-2004, 2:44pm
Mike - Where'd you get the live CDs? Are they generally available someplace?

Thanks

plunkett5
Jun-08-2004, 10:21am
There are places online that trade CDs and on Ebay they pop up. Send me your address and I'll be happy to burn ya the 8 or so CDs I've got. I know there is a moral question here about these sorts of CDs, but I figure that since I've bought most of Ry's work 3 times over, on vinyl, cassette and CD, he's made his money on me.-Mike
plunkett5@erols.com