PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from collings mt?

kjskipper
Aug-20-2007, 8:36am
I have a Collings MT that I like quite a lot, but am just wondering if, sticking with the A body style, I could have something significantly better in terms of sound, playability, or both, without exceeding $3500.00?

My only possible complaint would be the v-shaped neck; otherwise, I'm quite happy with the sound quality, volume, intonation, and ease of play. Although I've adjusted to the V, I'm thinking that I'd like a more conventionally shaped neck on which to rest my thumb.

My interests are jazz, classical and bluegrass.

Thanks in advance for your input.

--Ken

ab4usa
Aug-20-2007, 8:49am
I have an Old Wave A5. Everyone who has played it says it's a) wonderful, and b) great for any type of music. Bill asked me what neck profile I wanted so I would guess you could get whatever you wanted. I think his A's start at about $2500.00.

bradeinhorn
Aug-20-2007, 9:11am
you can get a sim daley a-5 for that amount plus have about 500 left over for some nice upgrades. i wouldn't hesitate about going with sim unless you don't want to deal with the waitlist. he will make you whatever type of neck you want and folks have frequently commented on his ability to really voice the instrument for exactly what you're looking for.

JPA
Aug-20-2007, 10:13am
I am in the identical situation (upgrading from a Collings MT) and have chosen a Fletcher Brock A-style mandolin, which is just a bit over your range. There is a waiting list, but in my view it is worth the wait in light of the quality of his work.

swinginmandolins
Aug-20-2007, 10:19am
I would recommend Steve Holst (http://www.pacinfo.com/~sholst/mandolins.htm) He will build an F style to your specs and requirements for $3K, less for a 2 point. I've had mine since March and it just keeps getting better all the time. He has about a year wait, but well worth it. I have about 6 months more to wait for my second Holst. Good luck in your quest.

sgarrity
Aug-20-2007, 10:20am
Don't forget about the Collings MT-2V. #You can get a used one for about $3500 or so. #And that's a lot of mandolin for the money! but is it worth another $1800 over your current MT??

mythicfish
Aug-20-2007, 11:09am
If an "upgrade" mean spending more money, then just about anything will do.
If you're interested in finding a mandolin that meets your specific requirements, that will take time and patience.
In addition, buying an unbuilt instrument from even the most respected and skillful of luthiers is a dicey proposition. In the time it takes to get the instrument into your hands, your tastes may have changed. Describing the sound that you want is like trying to describe a fine wine. But if you choose to go this route, make sure that you have an opportunity to play one of his/her other instruments so that the two of you are using the same vocabulary.
In my case, I decided on a luthier and asked him if he had anything "in stock". He had one that he had used at shows as a "demo". Since no one ever shows a bad sample, I asked him ship it to me if he was willing to sell it. He did ... and I bought it.

Curt

ab4usa
Aug-20-2007, 12:44pm
I think Curt makes a good point. If I were interested in a certain builder or builders, I think I would ask for the most local referrals he or she had in hopes of seeing/playing one for their mandolins before committing. Of course that would be if I were right handed (LOL)!

Chris Biorkman
Aug-20-2007, 12:51pm
I know you said that you were looking for an A style, but Greg Boyd has a new Mowry 2-point for sale on his website for $3,500. It's the same one Ted reviewed on Jazzmando. Looks pretty sweet to me.

Walter
Aug-20-2007, 1:10pm
I also have an MT which I really like. If I was to ever upgrade it would be to a Collings MT-2. You might want to play a few and see if it feels and sounds like it's worth the step up.

JGWoods
Aug-20-2007, 1:20pm
Going for a custom instrument is a great way to address many issues of playability...if you know what you want.
Radiused fingerboard- and what radius
Neck shape- neck width, depth, profile, taper etc.
Frets- fat, skinny, tall, short etc.
Overall balance of the instrument- I don't like those F style heavy headstocks much, others do.

and etc.
I have had several instruments custom made, or customized, and I always thought I knew exactly what I wanted only to find I missed by a little- and learned a lesson to apply to the next purchase down the road- example- I went for a wide, deep neck on one instrument but didn't specify the profile correctly for the neck. As the neck was wider it really needed more V shape than I asked for...now I know.

As for tone...yer on yer own.

steve V. johnson
Aug-20-2007, 2:17pm
I sure hope that I'm not far away when you guys are ready to sell your MTs.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Don't forget to let me know when they go on sale?

Thanks,

stv

mythicfish
Aug-20-2007, 2:35pm
"I would ask for the most local referrals he or she had in hopes of seeing/playing one for their mandolins before committing. Of course that would be if I were right handed (LOL)! "

"I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous" L. Berra

Curt

nroberts
Aug-20-2007, 3:55pm
I agree with Curt, an upgrade is more than simply spending more money on a mandolin. You shouldn't assume necessarily that a more expensive mandolin will sound better than your MT. I used to play a Gibson F9, then a Rigel R100, then I "Upgraded" to a Collings MT myself, and I am perfectly happy with the MT until further notice. I would suggest playing as many different mandolins in your price range as you can get your hands on, and when you find the mandolin that's right for you, you'll know. Until then, I'd just keep practicing and saving money!

If you're set on selling the MT, however, I would suggest trying a used Phoenix, or maybe a used MT2 - both of which are great mandolins!

mythicfish
Aug-20-2007, 4:40pm
"Until then, I'd just keep practicing and saving money! "

Sound advice. Even if you're not looking for a mandolin. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Dan Eaton
Aug-20-2007, 4:53pm
I've had my MT for about a year and a half, and I'm very happy with it. #I've played more expensive mandolins, but none of them were really better to my fingers or ears. #

The only thing that I didn't like was the Collings tailpiece. #It looked pretty cool, but changing strings was an ordeal. #I upgraded to a James tailpiece, and now I'm a happy camper.

If I was wealthy, I might have a collection, but for a one mando guy, the MT is all I need.

Dan

tterral
Aug-20-2007, 5:56pm
I just bought a Passernig F-5 to replace my MT. I did not care for the 'V' neck on the MT and the new neck is not as pronounced a 'V' as the MT. I think, even new, the Passernig sounds and plays better than the MT and that is not a slam to the MT, at all. In buying the SP, I did what I thought I may never do again and bought the Passernig without ever playing one. I live in an area where there are very few good mandolins to play much less buy. I got really lucky, because I am a real picky guy. The folks here at the Cafe definitely helped me in my decision making process. I read everything I could about a number of builders and Stefan Passernig is who I ended up going with.

One thing I read during my search was to check the Classifieds and if you see something interesting, and who doesn't, buy it with a 48 hour approval period. You may try 2, 3 or 4 before you find one you want to keep, and you would be out some shipping costs, but I think that is a legitimate way to try something you are interested in. As Curt mentioned above, check with a builder and see if he will ship you one to try. Will Parsons offered to do this for me. I did not take him up on it because I had gotten on the Passernig waiting list, but I appreciated the offer. Will also makes a fine F-5 in your price range and will work with you on your specs. Buddy Davis also is a good guy who makes F-5s in your price range. I have read good things about him as well. Will and Buddy both sent me some decent sound clips which helped a lot as well.

Good Luck and enjoy the search.

kjskipper
Aug-20-2007, 10:07pm
Thanks to all for your shopping advice. Although I'm exploring the possibility of upgrading at this point; I really do still like my MT very much. Maybe instead of upgrading I'll save up and simply add to my arsenal. Is this how MAS begins?

Potosimando
Aug-20-2007, 10:26pm
You often can find an R.L. Givens A3 in the $3,500 range. A lot of us out here believe that many of the Givens mandolins(perhaps most of the later ones) sound as good, if not better, than anything (A or F) that is remotely close to the $3,500 range...plus you get a piece of mandolin history with an R.L. Givens.

Don't confuse "Givens Legacy" with "Givens" (R.L. Givens), by the way.

Lee
Aug-21-2007, 5:13pm
Heck yeah, if you can afford to keep the MT and get another mandolin, go for it and enjoy. If the MT fills a musical/tonal niche then look for another niche to explore. Go oval for example. Or try X-bracing. Maybe a Phoenix neo-classical.

bradeinhorn
Aug-21-2007, 7:42pm
that phoenix that just popped into the classifieds is killer. i love it.

kjskipper
Aug-21-2007, 10:16pm
...hmmm, a Phoenix, huh? I've read a LOT of good things about them; never played one though.

Walter Newton
Aug-21-2007, 10:21pm
...hmmm, a Phoenix, huh? #I've read a LOT of good things about them; never played one though.
They're awesome. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif #May be just the ticket, especially given that your interests venture beyond bluegrass.

Yellowmandolin
Aug-21-2007, 10:42pm
Han's "Poor man's Loar" may fit the bill... Don't know what the final price will be for that yet, but if you're in no hurry, it may be worth it to wait around a bit until he puts out a prototype...

Dagger Gordon
Aug-22-2007, 4:17am
FWIW, I bought an MT in Brighton England last year (shop has very big selection)and I definitely thought it one of the best instruments in the shop. I wouldn't necessarily assume that there are many better instruments out there in the price range you mention, as I think the MT is a very good mandolin for the money.
Having said that, I did really like a Phoenix neoclassical that was there. It would certainly be good for jazz and classical, but I'm not so sure about bluegrass.
I would certainly not be in a hurry to sell the MT.

bradeinhorn
Aug-22-2007, 7:35am
...hmmm, a Phoenix, huh? #I've read a LOT of good things about them; never played one though.
They're awesome. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif #May be just the ticket, especially given that your interests venture beyond bluegrass.
plus it looks to have a very round neck.

red7flag
Aug-22-2007, 10:55am
There is a really nice looking black top MT2 on the Gruhn website for $3150. I have not played it.
Tony

lastchair
Aug-29-2007, 6:07pm
Does anyone know the difference between a MT and MT-2 in terms of sound, playability? Or is it just branding, wood choice and minor features like binding and inlay? MT-2 is quite a jump in price from MT, just wondering.

lastchair
Aug-31-2007, 4:37pm
Okay, I'll answer my own question. #The top wood is different, MT has Engelmann spruce and the MT-2 is Adirondack spruce.

Playability is pretty consistent, in terms of action and neck shape (which I have to have the v shape, being small-handed and violin player). #What I like about it is the ease of play for small hands, and I can get that G chop cleanly on all the Collings at the store. #However sound is not that consistent and I can definitely tell the difference between the three A models they had at the shop. #The F model was gorgeous and more percussive than the A models. #Of the A models, I ended up picking the one (MT-2) that I liked the sound the best, it was crisp, had a great mid-range, and sounded the most like the F model, but not as percussive. #One A model (MT-2) was warm and guitar like, the other A model (MT) was bright, sharp and crisp, but I already have my Eastman that has that sound.

MAS strikes, check out my sig. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Lee
Aug-31-2007, 4:42pm
Congratulations!
(You're obligated to post photos. Very important!)
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

lastchair
Aug-31-2007, 4:47pm
Okay, while it's still at Gryphon's website:

Collings MT-2 sunburst tortoise binding (http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/28113/28113.html)

adgefan
Sep-04-2007, 6:58am
I bought my MT on ebay for a bargain price as no more than a "stop-gap" instrument, and I've been looking to upgrade ever since.

I've taken every opportunity to play more expensive mandolins and as many makes and models as I can. However, the only one that I've wanted to buy was Mike Marshall's Loar and I don't think that was for sale!

I don't know how yours sounds, but mine has really opened up over the past two years and now has a rich, woody tone that I adore. I'd only "upgrade" for something that made my jaw drop. Just have to have patience and keep looking for it.

doc holiday
Sep-04-2007, 10:45am
Ken, I've been thinking about your question for a while now. #I don't think in the price range you mention that another instrument is necessarily an upgrade but rather a change. #Instruments I believe are unique no matter how they are made. Is a Gibson A4 necessarily better than a snakehead Ajr? #Is a Martin D28 necessarily better than a D18? #I don't think so. People seem to find an instrument that suits them and it then becomes their voice. #As far as the MT neck. #The neck is conventional for that style of instrument. #Assuming that you are right handed, all I can say is play many examples and then decide which option to take, but I have heard great sounds coming out of Collings MTs. #I think they are remarkably consistent wonderful instruments. #I think a Daley, Duff or Heiden (or insert maker's name) A would be great but as for small factory instruments Collings are definitely ahead of the pack. As for top wood, have a listen to Andrew Collins "Little Widgets," #off the album of the same name . Andrew who has a monstrous right hand plays an Engleman topped Heiden A. After he got it he sold his adirondack topped Heiden F. #Tim O'Brien played a Nugget F before settling on his Nugget A. Good luck with your choice

kjskipper
Sep-04-2007, 1:39pm
Thanks Doc. I was kind of thinking what you are saying about the MT and the price range, but wanted to pose the question here as there is, collectively, much more experience in the mando cafe community playing various instruments than I'll ever have personally.

red7flag
Sep-04-2007, 2:01pm
From the time I got the MF, the MT's F style cousin, I have tried to upgrade. #And while I have gotten some very nice instruments, the Collings does what it does best. #It has the best playability of any of my instruments and is the instrument that I improvise best with. #It has a distinctive sound that just keeps improving over time. #After I ordered the Stanley, I put the MF in the classifieds and came really close to selling it. #Them one day, just to give the instrument one last play before I sold it, I realized I had a gem and happily decided to contact all the potential buyers and let them know I was keeping it. #I am really glad that I still have it.
Tony