PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt mando = lots of tunes!

mrkrishna
Aug-19-2007, 10:07am
I semi retired my Monteleon about 9 years ago after I found out how much the thing was worth. I found a great hiding place for it ,and it was just too much trouble to get it out, so to Winnipeg (2 years ago) I bought an 'A' style that I had owned many years ago. I had hopes it would be by my TV, and I would really start playing tons again. The only problem was it needed a lot of work. I had to replace the fingerboard, binding (on board) make a new bridge, and buff the body out big time. So, green abalone side and board dots,ebony,and flamed maple binding from my newhomemade thickness sanded experiments. It turned out great. The mando had quite a few problems straight from the maker's shop (Jake Nuefeld from Saskatoon) but most of it is good now. And boy, am I playing up a storm and loving it. It's like finding an old lover...Kerry K

mandolooter
Aug-19-2007, 1:04pm
great to hear your pickin again!!!!
welcome back1

Phil Goodson
Aug-19-2007, 6:19pm
It's sad that you found out what the Monte is worth.

Jim Garber
Aug-19-2007, 7:02pm
I semi retired my Monteleon about 9 years ago after I found out how much the thing was worth. I found a great hiding place for it ,and it was just too much trouble to get it out, so to Winnipeg (2 years ago) I bought an 'A' style that I had owned many years ago.
I read those lines about 4 times and am still not sure what you are talking about. Do you mean that after you realized what your Monteleone was worth you decided you could not play it out of the house so you put it in the vault?? Please explain.

In any case, I also am glad you are back to playing.

Jim

mrkrishna
Aug-20-2007, 12:52pm
Jg, after I realized how much it was worth, I decided not to leave it out so there was no possibillity of it getting ripped off. All my other instruments could go, but the Monteleone was welded to my side for such a long while, I could'nt live without it if it got stolen. So I found a hiding place for it, and it only comes out for a weekly jam. That's the reason I retired it....Kerry

allenhopkins
Aug-20-2007, 12:56pm
I semi retired my Monteleon about 9 years ago after I found out how much the thing was worth. I found a great hiding place for it...
See, this is what I don't get. It's an instrument, not a piece of jewelry or a gold ingot, and it was built to be played. That Monteleone should be out, making music and giving you and others enjoyment. Not that you shouldn't be careful of it, respect its value and quality. But I'm sure Mr. M didn't finish building it, then say "Put it away and don't play it, 'cause it's worth a lot of money!"

Nine years during which someone should have been pickin' that mandolin.

mrkrishna
Aug-21-2007, 12:22pm
I don't live in a good neiborhood, so there is always a chance I will get ripped off. I'm sorry I started this post. I was hoping for some encouragement...Kerry